Hybrid0920

Hamilton Street Railway

20 minutes ago, Articulated said:

They were quite successful with the 1997 Novas from HSR and OC, and the mid-2000s D40LF is a better quality bus than the first-generation LFS was.

One issue could be the resale market in the next few years - with the PTIF funding program in place, many agencies are getting lots of capital money to purchase brand-new buses. I would imagine this would make it difficult to find buyers for 12 year old buses for at least the next few years.

There are municipalities that have started opting out from the Metrolinx TPI. Oakville is one of them going forward. Its not as cheap as its supposed to be. 

There are also plenty of private operators and smaller systems who can benefit from these types of buses. MTB has many customers/relations in the USA, and have done plenty of second hand business there.

Having come from the meeting, I can confirm that the ERS was passed 10-5, with an extension to Eastgate being the provision. 

On 4/27/2017 at 0:56 AM, Chris W said:

Having come from the meeting, I can confirm that the ERS was passed 10-5, with an extension to Eastgate being the provision. 

The extension hinges on them "finding savings" to pay for it, which they won't find... until just before the provincial election.  Then, surprise, the money will be there.

I have been told, but have yet to confirm, that the A/C will still be an issue with the Nova's. Last I heard is they are aware of the issue and working on a fix. 

Also, I have yet to see 1643.

Do we know yet if there will be more buses bought this year? 

I saw 1643 on the Barton about a week ago. It's been around. There are also a few beat up '05 D40LF's around, 0508 in particular I seem to have gotten a few times in the past week. I guess the '04s are all gone now.

29 minutes ago, Wonka said:

I saw 1643 on the Barton about a week ago. It's been around. There are also a few beat up '05 D40LF's around, 0508 in particular I seem to have gotten a few times in the past week. I guess the '04s are all gone now.

404, 407, 410 and 411 are the only 04's left in service. 

On 2017-05-04 at 7:57 PM, Wonka said:

1643 hasn't been on the road yet. I don't believe it's left the shop since it's arrival. 

1 hour ago, JRM1000 said:

Any news on if there will be any new buses purchased this year, other than the replacement of the Arboc's?

Would either be more cutaways or CNG Vicinity. 

• Like 1

On 2017-05-06 at 0:44 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

Would either be more cutaways or CNG Vicinity. 

My apologies. I should have made myself more clear. Does anybody know if we are expecting any new 40 foot buses this year? 

I haven't heard anything so I am just wondering. 

5 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

My apologies. I should have made myself more clear. Does anybody know if we are expecting any new 40 foot buses this year? 

I think the last someone posted was the approval from council has not gone through yet on the replacement but that was earlier this year.

7 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

All it takes is a little bit of research to find out the answer to your questions. From the PTIF funding announcement on March 31, you can  see that 16 buses have been ordered.

https://www.canada.ca/en/office-infrastructure/news/2017/03/governments_of_canadaandontarioinvestinpublictransitinhamilton.html

They will be more Nova LFS CNG buses but their production line is filled solid these days. The buses will not be delivered until sometime in the first quarter 2018.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

All it takes is a little bit of research to find out the answer to your questions. From the PTIF funding announcement on March 31, you can  see that 16 buses have been ordered.

https://www.canada.ca/en/office-infrastructure/news/2017/03/governments_of_canadaandontarioinvestinpublictransitinhamilton.html

They will be more Nova LFS CNG buses but their production line is filled solid these days. The buses will not be delivered until sometime in the first quarter 2018.

Do you know if HSR seems happy with their CNG LFS'? Also when time comes for artic replacements a push for Nova to have a CNG artic LFS come a reality to give New Flyer a run at the contract.

12 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Do you know if HSR seems happy with their CNG LFS'? Also when time comes for artic replacements a push for Nova to have a CNG artic LFS come a reality to give New Flyer a run at the contract.

I'm unsure if management likes them, but I know a number of the drivers do not. I've heard complaints of cramped driver's area, to A/C issues, to leaking windows when it rains, and uncomfortable driver's seats, just to name a few. 

From a passenger stabdpoint the back of the bus is still much warmer than the front, the seats in the front section are very uncomfortable. The rear doors are slow to open and close as well. 

Thats just my opinion, though. Also, when it comes to replacing the artics(which could be next year or the year after) I think they'll either wait for the LRT to be built and go from there or order more XN60's. I had heard Nova is working on a CNG version of the LFS artic. We will just have to see. 

13 minutes ago, JRM1000 said:

I'm unsure if management likes them, but I know a number of the drivers do not. I've heard complaints of cramped driver's area, to A/C issues, to leaking windows when it rains, and uncomfortable driver's seats, just to name a few. 

From a passenger stabdpoint the back of the bus is still much warmer than the front, the seats in the front section are very uncomfortable. The rear doors are slow to open and close as well. 

Thats just my opinion, though. Also, when it comes to replacing the artics(which could be next year or the year after) I think they'll either wait for the LRT to be built and go from there or order more XN60's. I had heard Nova is working on a CNG version of the LFS artic. We will just have to see. 

Drivers in Buffalo hate 'em too.  Drivers here have the same issues, and passengers regularly complain about the Insight Prime seats being super uncomfortable, especially on pot-hole lined streets.  The NFTA went from comfortable padded seats back to hard plastic-like seats due to the ease of cleaning after some passengers soil them (ew!).

We received our 3rd series of CNG buses in the 4th generation, as well as eight diesel buses; from what I gather, the diesel buses have the same inside setup.

A while back, I also heard of some coolant leaking into the passenger compartment from under the bus...I can't confirm it from an earlier post.

I'd take a Gillig Advantage (with American Seating 6468) any day over the Novas.  With so many people on here not caring for Gilligs, it says a lot about the Novas.

Edit:  I also want to say that it's sad that the NFTA has had to resort to putting the shields up to shelter the driver from passengers.  The barriers come too close to the swipe area of the farebox, and it's difficult to hear the driver when you're trying to hear their answers if you ask a question.  A bad sign of the times.

12 minutes ago, JRM1000 said:

As a passenger, I applaud the addition of the vent holes at the rear of the bus. We'll have to see if the air circulation improves. Operators hate the Novas as well. The newer operators don't seem to mind driving them however.

On 4/28/2017 at 8:41 AM, Mishap said:

The extension hinges on them "finding savings" to pay for it, which they won't find... until just before the provincial election.  Then, surprise, the money will be there.

Was that the factor for the extension to Eastgate for the vote to pass? 

Now, given that the vote was passed, maybe it is time to now focus on the current HSR system and what needs to improve from increasing service on current routes to new routes/merge routes, renumbering routes, etc. How would you redesign and improve the system knowing there'll be LRT coming?

15 hours ago, Chris W said:

As a passenger, I applaud the addition of the vent holes at the rear of the bus. We'll have to see if the air circulation improves. Operators hate the Novas as well. The newer operators don't seem to mind driving them however.

Are you talking about the vents on the engine door of the Novas? They were delivered with the vents already. They suck air from outside to the engine for cooling. 

14 hours ago, Hybrid0920 said:

Are you talking about the vents on the engine door of the Novas? They were delivered with the vents already. They suck air from outside to the engine for cooling. 

Helps to aid in dissipating natural gas in the event of a leak. Natural gas is lighter than air, and won't come out the bottom of the engine compartment. Also the reason why older high floor buses put their tanks on the roof, even though there was room under the floor for them. Conversely, for propane, the opposite is true. So hypothetically, should a bus be powered with the stuff, the best place for a tank would be under the floor.

addition of the vents certainly won't prevent an explosion should a leak occur, but every little bit helps.

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Helps to aid in dissipating natural gas in the event of a leak. Natural gas is lighter than air, and won't come out the bottom of the engine compartment. Also the reason why older high floor buses put their tanks on the roof, even though there was room under the floor for them. Conversely, for propane, the opposite is true. So hypothetically, should a bus be powered with the stuff, the best place for a tank would be under the floor.

addition of the vents certainly won't prevent an explosion should a leak occur, but every little bit helps.

Not the case here.

The vent has a fan behind it to keep the engine bay cooler. They are present on diesel buses as well beginning recently.

23 minutes ago, tc2 said:

Not the case here.

The vent has a fan behind it to keep the engine bay cooler. They are present on diesel buses as well beginning recently.

In that case, likely to reduce the exhaust stink entering the passenger compartment. Fan would also aid in dissipating cng fumes even more.

Does it blow in, or out?

I'm skeptical of the extra cooling argument, there are methods with the radiator to fix that, if it's an issue. Like:

lowering the fan set-point

increasing the fan speed (nova has their own proprietary electric fan system, similar to EMP)

mods to the radiator itself would involve the manufacturer, and imply that their R&D was flawed. 

changing the thermostat to a lower setting

However, late production Orion IIs, both diesel and cng, had such a fan.

In that case, likely to reduce the exhaust stink entering the passenger compartment. Fan would also aid in dissipating cng fumes even more.

Does it blow in, or out?

I'm skeptical of the extra cooling argument, there are methods with the radiator to fix that, if it's an issue. Like:

increasing the fan speed (nova has their own proprietary electric fan system, similar to EMP)

mods to the radiator itself would involve the manufacturer, and imply that their R&D was flawed. 

I'm referring to vent holes that are inside on the ad racks facing the rear row of seats to help with air circulation. Whether or not it will help circulation when the HVAC is on remains to be seen.

Does it blow in, or out?

The fan on the rear engine door blows air into the engine.