Hybrid0920

Hamilton Street Railway

On 7/22/2016 at 10:50 AM, JRM1000 said:

I believe it's the largest delivery as well. That would make sense, I was just curious, because they've done it before with the #'s.

Should be 42 Nova LFS CNGs. Most are on properly or at least half of them. Should all be in the 16xx numbering series, don't see why they won't be. I'd think the other half of them, or what's left of that order should be in the next month and a bit. I'd also imagine that with that many buses coming in, there'd be serious expansion of services coming.

I want to correct myself. I think it's 32, with 18 expansion, 14 replacement. That seems about right.

12 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I want to correct myself. I think it's 32, with 18 expansion, 14 replacement. That seems about right.

Please look back only about 5 posts to what I posted earlier. There is not 18 expansion. It is only 9 expansion which means a total of 32 retirements this year, 41 buses total. As for the 9 option that was picked up, they will be delivered at the end of the year, I do not know what the numbers will be. If they come late, they may in fact be numbered 1701-09. The 1600s will be 1601-32 for sure.

5 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Please look back only about 5 posts to what I posted earlier. There is not 18 expansion. It is only 9 expansion which means a total of 32 retirements this year, 41 buses total. As for the 9 option that was picked up, they will be delivered at the end of the year, I do not know what the numbers will be. If they come late, they may in fact be numbered 1701-09. The 1600s will be 1601-32 for sure.

How many buses are left in the 0300 series? Also, what has been retired(if anything) from the 04/0500 series? 

On 7/16/2016 at 1:50 PM, JRM1000 said:

I am also not a fan of the front door on the Nova's(2/3 option). I am not sure why they went with that, or why they couldn't have gone with the same set up as Oakville.

However, all in all, if they can get the A/C issue fixed, they are ok buses. 

Oakville doesn't have the 2/3's front door configuration.

2 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Oakville doesn't have the 2/3's front door configuration.

That's correct, but I think you might have misunderstood JRM1000's point.   My reading of it is that he's saying the he would prefer the Oakville front doors, which are 50/50, to the HSR configuration which is 2/3 /  1/3.

1 hour ago, doug_oak said:

That's correct, but I think you might have misunderstood JRM1000's point.   My reading of it is that he's saying the he would prefer the Oakville front doors, which are 50/50, to the HSR configuration which is 2/3 /  1/3.

The 1/3 door that stays closed until needed is to direct people closer to the front of the bus, for ergonomic reasons.  Drivers would have to turn more than 90 degrees to interact with passengers on the older Novas.  That doesn't sound terrible until you remember that the driver is belted in - or should be - so all that turning is done from the waist up.  That could lead to neck/ shoulder/ back issues.

11 hours ago, 1604 said:

I wanted to briefly mention that I've added support for HSR on Transit55. You can view a map of all active buses, browse by vehicle type, view block schedules, and more.

https://transit55.ca/hamilton/map/

I'd love to hear what you think (but I don't want to derail the topic so it's probably best to post in this thread). Cheers!

This website is amazing! Thanks. However, I find the map too cluttered, but I know why it is like that. Maybe instead of having all of the routes lumped together like that, it could be like the HSR real time map where there is a list of routes and can be picked based on that. I also really like that one can see the list of units out on a particular day, as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

This website is amazing! Thanks. However, I find the map too cluttered, but I know why it is like that. Maybe instead of having all of the routes lumped together like that, it could be like the HSR real time map where there is a list of routes and can be picked based on that. I also really like that one can see the list of units out on a particular day, as well. 

Thanks! I'd like to add greater control over which routes are shown. Stay tuned. :)

7 hours ago, 1604 said:

Thanks! I'd like to add greater control over which routes are shown. Stay tuned. :)

You're very welcome. I was waiting for something like this to be done. Great job!

• Like 1

Does anyone know where one could find the sign codes for HSR routes, or if it even exists in the public domain? I would love to see a list of them. Any help is appreciated.

For anyone who isn't already aware, HSR uniforms are changing once again! This time any pre existing uniforms will be banned after a short grace period! Our new summer polo shirts have been delivered and are being handed out to drivers! I received mine yesterday and am rocking the new look today! ? New uniforms consist of a light blue summer dri fit polo shirt, which doesn't need to be tucked it, has no pockets and the HSR emblem is positioned on the right sleeve so it's seen by passengers as the board the bus! These shirts are only premitted from Victoria Day until thanksgiving day  ?

Rest of the new uniforms consist of navy blue CARGO pants and shorts, a light blue dress shirt to be worn in the winter months (thanksgiving to Victoria Day) and Ties for men, neck scarves for women are mandatory with these shirts. Pullover cardigans, new soft shell spring jackets with reflectors for operators safety, and instead of the current parka style winter coat, we will be wearing nice new bomber style winter coats! 

As of right now only our summer polos have arrived but the hope is to have all new uniforms delivered and dispersed by the end of the calendar year, and the ban on old uniforms to be effective January 1/2017! ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JN HSR said:

Does anyone know what this bus is? I spotted it this afternoon in downtown Hamilton.

DSC_0975.JPG

That bus is ex-Woodstock Transit 14. It is privately owned and stored in the Hamilton area.

• Like 1

Probably the first New Look to go across that intersection in almost 20 years...

• Like 1

About two weeks ago I had looked at the Metrolinx website and it does include Hamilton has one of the agencies to be receiving articulated buses, joining St. Catharines and Durham Region.
as far as I understand, HSR wouldn't be purchasing artics for awhile, just based on memory. It'd be 3 years until the 2007 DE60LFRs get replaced...

17 hours ago, JN HSR said:

Does anyone know what this bus is? I spotted it this afternoon in downtown Hamilton.

The private owner of this bus agreed to bring it out for a photo alongside the two C40LF buses that were used in the Toronto Transportation Society charter at the beginning of June. It is good to see that bus running well at 40 years of age (new to Woodstock Transit in 1976).

EX - Woodstock Transit 14 --- 04JUN16.jpg

57b073f2e3361_EX-WoodstockTransit14---04JUN16.thumb.jpg.1ee8982987a22b6dcca6dc31a21ad02b.jpg

• Like 2

XD40 #1103 seems to have a different stop request tone installed. Noticed it a few days ago. Not sure if its a one-off or a pilot test.

Are all of the new Nova's in yet? Or, are we awaiting the expansion buses? 

Are they prepped for service, or will they be waiting until they can pull 04/0500's off the road?

Also, I've seen drivers wearing the new uniforms. I'm not a big fan, IMO, it makes them look less professional. I like the dark blues better. Too bad they won't be around in the new year. Are the new blue dress shirts like the light blue option they have?

Our new blue dress shirts to be worn in the colder months will be darker than the old light blue we wore but lighter than the dark blue! We haven't received them yet but I believe that they will be about the same color as our new summer polo shirts! We also have to wear a tie with the dress shirt, it's mandatory! We are not happy about that! Lol 

• Like 1

So, I was doing some thinking, and I had an idea.

My 33 at 3PM out of MacNab did not show up yesterday, and the 3:20PM bus was 15 minutes late. I checked Transit 55 and noted a change off on the 3:00PM trip of the 33. HSR has really dropped the ball with service. At one point, ALL of the 33's were running between 15 and 40 minutes late!

If the HSR was on social media properly(not Hamilton Transit) they could have informed of the cancelled trip on the 33, and the delays. Also, what I think should happen, and what I would like to see happen is this. I would like the HSR to introduce new pieces for operators to sign. Extra's. Similar to what OC Transpo and some other agencies do. The operator who signs the work would have no trips and be on stand by for a late or broken down bus. That way, there would be no need to cancel trips, as you can just call out the extra.

They could be placed around the city, for example, the GO Centre, Eastgate Square,Limeridge Mall and somewhere in the west end. Have them as trippers if they don't want them to be out all day. That will solve some issues.

We have a system kind of similar to that, but it's not a guarantee system by any means! Our main issue right now boils down to not enough operators! Inspectors used to send out spare board operators, who were sitting on the couches at the garage, to locations such as Go centre, Hunter street, Limeridge Mall, Eastgate! From there they would wait for delays in buses or missed service and would be instructed to jump in to assist! Unfortunately with the lack of operators right now, this is not possible anymore! I don't see them ever posting extra pieces to sign like you suggested but just utilize spare board operators on report.

The 1600 Nova's are starting to enter service. I just got 1607 on the Barton half an hour ago. Nothing visually different inside or out but the air conditioning seemed a bit better than the 1500's. Nowhere near as powerful as the XD40's however.