Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

With respect to Bob Bratina walking away from the federal government over them funding the LRT and running for mayor again, we know he hates light rail. 

962A0432-C100-4299-AAEA-A44CB4A92DD5.thumb.jpeg.bfa15c2a50fe0385440338895a816b95.jpeg

His vocal opposition towards the LRT reminds me of people complain about change in general, but your right, for him, if he can't drive his car without those ''pesky LRTs'' in the way, then he and many like him will be mad. 

Buses 0602, 0722 and 0821 have recently had their licence plates removed and can be considered retired. Buses 0722 and 0821 are being cannibalized for parts.

There will be 5 retirements when the 2100 series buses are ready for service so that means there should be 2 more retirements that are unknown at this point. The 20 new buses will result in a fleet expansion of 15 units due to service enhancements for year 6 of the 10 year Transit Service Plan.

HSR 0602 0821 - 25JUL22.jpg

HSR 2114 - 25JUL22.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

whats the plan with 0602? going back to being a "storage" bus or going to scrap?

You can't read very well. Pretty annoying lately with a number of members here... and there are a ton of you.

The plates are removed. Its retired as mentioned above.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

What do you mean? I have someone who is interesed in buying old retired buses and they want to buy it for their own personal use...

The plan is it'll probably end up at AIM metals for scrap.  That's where HSR has been sending their retired buses as of late.

On 7/25/2022 at 7:08 PM, hamilton.area.transit said:

whats the plan with 0602? going back to being a "storage" bus or going to scrap?

I have not heard of what the official reason was for the retirement of 0602. I suspect a battery issue but cannot confirm. As far as I know, the batteries were never replaced in the bus.

When the 0600s and 0700s were put in storage, the licence plates were never taken off the buses. That confirmed the fact that they were expected back at some time which ended up being about 2 years.

Removing a plate is pretty well the final step in the retirement of a bus. The fareboxes and Presto units are even removed before the licence plate. Once a plate is removed, the bus will not be returning to the road.

• Thanks 2

I can still remember when the 08 buses were new and some of them were delivered with gold paint instead of yellow until the HSR changed their mind. I didn't think they were due for retirement until I did the math and realized that they're 14 years old now. Time flies.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Orion V said:

Do units 70-71 still see service or are they retired?
Last year when route 99 was running, all I see was D40LFs on that route.

Due to Covid they haven't been running the last couple of years. Recently 70 did make it out for a video shoot, but other then that, the 99 has been using just regular buses. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLRV4094 said:

Due to Covid they haven't been running the last couple of years. Recently 70 did make it out for a video shoot, but other then that, the 99 has been using just regular buses. 

Bus 70 only lasted for a trip and a half on the day that the video was shot. It was changed off for a 40' low floor.

70 and 71 do not have driver shields installed which is why they have not been used. They are still available for charters and drivers have the right to refuse to drive them if they are uncomfortable with the lack of a shield. They have done a handful of charters over the last few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

70 and 71 do not have driver shields installed which is why they have not been used. They are still available for charters and drivers have the right to refuse to drive them if they are uncomfortable with the lack of a shield. 

"I'm not comfortable not collecting fares without a shield. What if I get a passenger who insists on paying?" ?
(Credit where credit is due, I heard a 99 driver make a joke to that effect. That wouldn't even be the strangest thing to happen on a bus.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

0702 has also had the plates removed so I am unsure as to the total number of retirements. I was told 5 but it might be more.

A bunch of buses are getting license plate replacements. Including 520, 702, 904 and a few more. (I didn’t have time to do a full look around)

6AB75196-FF0A-4301-95E2-6CC24F3DFF4B.jpeg

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, BusDriver91 said:

A bunch of buses are getting license plate replacements. Including 520, 702, 904 and a few more. (I didn’t have time to do a full look around)

6AB75196-FF0A-4301-95E2-6CC24F3DFF4B.jpeg

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. Normally when they do replatings, they replace the plate right away. I have never seen it where there are days between the old plate being taken off and the new plate put on.

So based on parts buses, the only confirmed retirements at this time are 0602, 0722 and 0821.

• 2 weeks later...

They need to switch the bus stop for the 5 and the 1A/10 at Main/Macnab. The transit priority light is supposed to help buses merge back into traffic, but with the 5's having recovery time at the front spot, it means the 1A or 10 will still have to merge into active traffic if a 5 is present.

3 hours ago, Vekoma said:

They need to switch the bus stop for the 5 and the 1A/10 at Main/Macnab. The transit priority light is supposed to help buses merge back into traffic, but with the 5's having recovery time at the front spot, it means the 1A or 10 will still have to merge into active traffic if a 5 is present.

Or they could, I dont know, finally spread out the schedules between the routes instead of having them idiotically clustered together.

2 hours ago, lip said:

Or they could, I dont know, finally spread out the schedules between the routes instead of having them idiotically clustered together.

99.9% of your posts are just complaining about everything.  Find a new hobby 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Byfold said:

99.9% of your posts are just complaining about everything.  Find a new hobby 

I'm sorry, so you enjoy having some lackluster service throughout the GTAH?

If you enjoy the sorry state of affairs with the way service is operated with certain municipalities, then there's nothing for us to discuss. I'm sure management would love extra pats on the back so feel free to give it to them.

19 minutes ago, lip said:

I'm sorry, so you enjoy having some lackluster service throughout the GTAH?

If you enjoy the sorry state of affairs with the way service is operated with certain municipalities, then there's nothing for us to discuss. I'm sure management would love extra pats on the back so feel free to give it to 

You seem qualified.  Apply to a transit system and make changes.   Being a keyboard warrior won't solve anything. 

Just don't apply to Miway.  Word is you didn't make it past the 1st round. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Byfold said:

Just don't apply to Miway.  Word is you didn't make it past the 1st round. 

Good on you for trying to make things personal.

Funny thing is, i've never applied to MiWay. Pretty happy with my job, but thanks for the offer maybe one day.