Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

13 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

There is a worldwide parts shortage these days. All industries are affected, even buses. As a result, even if a bus has parts missing, that is not a sign that it is definitely retired. HSR is looking at their options now. Apparently to get artics fixed off property, it would require 6 months from one of the rebuilders. HSR is looking into doing it themselves and think they could do it in 2 months. No decisions have been made on the artics as new artics are not scheduled until 2023 at the earliest. Only 20 40' buses are scheduled to arrive in 2022 at this point.

By the way, "up the hill" at HSR is not just a graveyard. They are so short of parking space at the garage that buses are regularly parked up there. Just because they are up there does not mean they are retired.

How long would it take if they were to order new artics sole source? 
I can’t imagine HSR would want to wait between 2 and 6 months for repairs to take place. Is used an option at this point? Especially with the age of the artics. 
Also, does anybody, by chance, have any pictures of 1426? Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

0705 is out on the 34 this afternoon, which leaves only 0706 to return to service

3 hours ago, Wonka said:

Should probably keep in mind that theres also a driver shortage due to the vaccination situation. If runs are being canceled I'm sure there aren't butts in every driver seat.

Indeed, although it doesn't look like it has affected the 07s returning 

1 hour ago, JRM1000 said:

Was bus 922 part of the buses that were found with frame issues?

I saw it back in service this morning after having been OOS since May 30. Also noticed it has white instead of the silver for the wheels. 

Yes it was indeed part of the buses with frame issues, it, 926 and 0610 and 0615 were noted last month as having the issues. It has new wheels too? I will keep an eye out for it

HSR 0706 is seen at the HSR garage today being prepared for a return to service. It is almost ready for the road and should be in service sometime next week.

This is the last of the buses that were in storage to enter service. Buses 0601, 0602, 0701-0709 and 0913 were the additions to the fleet which now stands at 277 plus 2 replica trolleys. 

HSR 0706 - 19NOV21.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 injured after SEPTA trolley collides with freight train in Darby, Pennsylvania

My gut instinct says that this accident will rule out the possibility of Canadian Pacific reconsidering their position against having a level crossing between their little spur line and the Hamilton LRT.

This is, of course, assuming the Hamilton LRT actually gets built this time around but Metrolinx is sure looking like they're back to dragging their heels and spiking it in the hopes that another politician will come along and kill it again; once certainly can't help but notice the differing level of effort and commitment between Hurontario, Finch, Eglinton and the conspicuous absence of the same when it comes to the Hamilton LRT.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

4 injured after SEPTA trolley collides with freight train in Darby, Pennsylvania

My gut instinct says that this accident will rule out the possibility of Canadian Pacific reconsidering their position against having a level crossing between their little spur line and the Hamilton LRT.

This is, of course, assuming the Hamilton LRT actually gets built this time around but Metrolinx is sure looking like they're back to dragging their heels and spiking it in the hopes that another politician will come along and kill it again; once certainly can't help but notice the differing level of effort and commitment between Hurontario, Finch, Eglinton and the conspicuous absence of the same when it comes to the Hamilton LRT.

I guess they're not going ahead with plans to dig a tunnel under the CPR crossing? I thought that was the plan to deal with that stretch of trackage according to the schematics I saw.

3 hours ago, Chris W said:

I guess they're not going ahead with plans to dig a tunnel under the CPR crossing? I thought that was the plan to deal with that stretch of trackage according to the schematics I saw.

It became the plan when CP flat out refused to allow a level crossing and became one of the items that pushed the cost up.

Then once the LRT got cancelled one of the ideas that was kicked around was to do a shorter line that fit within the $1.1 billion provincial funding limit that ended at Gage Ave.  That neatly avoided the expense of building the LRT tunnel under that spur line by ending the line right before it.

What I was getting at is the streetcar accident in Philadelphia pretty much nailed the coffin shut and buried the idea of CP reconsidering and allowing a level crossing with that lightly used spur line.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

What I was getting at is the streetcar accident in Philadelphia pretty much nailed the coffin shut and buried the idea of CP reconsidering and allowing a level crossing with that lightly used spur line.

I wouldn't call three round-trips each day "lightly used".

Although by the same token, it certainly isn't as busy as the CSX line through Derby.

Dan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been on 1636? The doors on this bus don't make that loud hissing sound when opening, instead they are quiet with just the faint sound of what seems like an electric motor. I'm not saying it IS an electric motor but I've never seen doors on our Novas behave the way they did on 1636. Perhaps its just a one time repair for this bus, either way it was quite different. Speaking of our Novas, does anyone think HSR will order our future Novas with the new driver window? Apparently its not standard right now, just an option.

1 hour ago, Vekoma said:

Has anyone been on 1636? The doors on this bus don't make that loud hissing sound when opening, instead they are quiet with just the faint sound of what seems like an electric motor. I'm not saying it IS an electric motor but I've never seen doors on our Novas behave the way they did on 1636. Perhaps its just a one time repair for this bus, either way it was quite different. Speaking of our Novas, does anyone think HSR will order our future Novas with the new driver window? Apparently its not standard right now, just an option.

The new driver window is now standard; you can't order any without it.

A couple multiyear orders that were placed prior to when the new window was introduced could still go forward with the old layout; however, starting last year pretty much everything built came with the new window.

• Thanks 1