Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

13 hours ago, Bravo Actual said:

Just wondering, why is some of the rear seating on some Nova's switched around into a "U" shape instead of all the other buses? Will grab numbers when I see it again. Noticed it twice on some 15XX series buses. Any reason for it?

Is what you’re asking why some of the rear seating is perimeter seating on some Nova’s and why it’s not on others?

The 17/18xx have perimeter seating whereas the 15/16xx have the facing seats. The perimeter seating allows for more room for standees. However, it brings the seat count down by 2.

3 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

Is what you’re asking why some of the rear seating is perimeter seating on some Nova’s and why it’s not on others?

The 17/18xx have perimeter seating whereas the 15/16xx have the facing seats. The perimeter seating allows for more room for standees. However, it brings the seat count down by 1. 

Yeah. Im not very fluent with my words today. Isnt standee's vs sitties more of a safety risk though?

I've been hearing from people that the air conditioning on the 1700 HSR Nova's is no better than the older ones. I thought that Nova or HSR had tried to rectify that issue? Clearly it didn't work or wasn't done.

Weirdly enough, the air conditioning on St. Catharines 2018 Nova's seems to work fairly well, even at the back.

6 hours ago, Wonka said:

I've been hearing from people that the air conditioning on the 1700 HSR Nova's is no better than the older ones. I thought that Nova or HSR had tried to rectify that issue? Clearly it didn't work or wasn't done.

Weirdly enough, the air conditioning on St. Catharines 2018 Nova's seems to work fairly well, even at the back.

I have heard a few gripes about it myself, but chalked it up to just heat outside.

7 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

0510 remains in service. For how long, I am not sure. But, right now, it is still in service 

I saw it today and noticed that it had cameras installed. That's an interesting development.

1 hour ago, JRM1000 said:

It definitely is. I’ll see if I can find out more. 

I heard a rumour that there is a shortage of vehicles come September, that even with the new ones they can’t meet demand. Therefore a few 0500s will be coming back on the road in September. Can anyone confirm or deny? 

7 hours ago, Hybrid0920 said:

I heard a rumour that there is a shortage of vehicles come September, that even with the new ones they can’t meet demand. Therefore a few 0500s will be coming back on the road in September. Can anyone confirm or deny? 

I’ve been informed they’ll probably need 510 for another 6-12 months. 

I’ll see if I can find out more

58 minutes ago, Kit Kat said:

It's not rocket science to find out when a bus "could" be retired.  Look at the commercial inspection sticker on the windshield.   It'll tell you unless HSR does decide to renew it.

The other thing to consider is.....

It *may* be scheduled to last another 12 months. But as the vehicle ages, the chances of it suffering a major component failure of some kind increases, along with the cost of that failure. There may come a point at which a failure simply is deemed to be more costly than the value of keeping the vehicle running, and even though they wanted to keep it running for another year, they will instead retire it.

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

The other thing to consider is.....

It *may* be scheduled to last another 12 months. But as the vehicle ages, the chances of it suffering a major component failure of some kind increases, along with the cost of that failure. There may come a point at which a failure simply is deemed to be more costly than the value of keeping the vehicle running, and even though they wanted to keep it running for another year, they will instead retire it.

Dan

I agree fully and have seen it happen before. The exact words were “I may need it another 6-12 months”.

Also, as per the rumour of the bus shortage in the fall, I have been told there will not be a bus shortage. 

As in people not all vehicles age the same. Even high milers.

All city departments will keep vehicles way past their life expectancy so they can get rid of maintenance pigs earlier. Police, fire, EMS, public works, they all do it. Fire in the past few years kept a heavy rescue almost 35 years and sold off a heavy rescue after 12 years because it spent more time in the shop then road where as the older rig never came to the shop except for routine maintenance.

HSR is no different. They will have detailed records and know what to keep and what to get rid of in a hurry. And they will not be emotional about. Also as time goes by, they will be lots of part in stock from left over new and salvaged parts to keep them on the road.

So it is not unusual that the HSR has picked a few vehicles that if needed can go way past their life expectancy and not have many problems with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kit Kat said:

It's not rocket science to find out when a bus "could" be retired.  Look at the commercial inspection sticker on the windshield.   It'll tell you unless HSR does decide to renew it.

The commercial inspection sticker read February 2018, which I believe means it is good until 2019.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:48 AM, Chris W said:

The commercial inspection sticker read February 2018, which I believe means it is good until 2019.

I think those stickers are good until the end of the sixth month from the indicated date.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:02 PM, Hybrid0920 said:

Does anyone know what the hold up is on the Vicinity buses? I remember on their press release it said delivery will happen in April. When should be expecting them?

I’m not sure of what the hold up was but I’ve been told to expect them mid August.