Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

I was on, I believe, 1501 the other day and noticed an interesting addition to the rear vents inside the bus. Notice the vents along the top, too. I’m guessing this is their fix for the A/C issue? Will it work? As will just have to wait and find out. 

Will the 2017’s have the same issue I wonder?

0D0742B0-63DC-461E-987F-BACAC34F6A71.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Hybrid0920 said:

Seems that HSR just placed a new $3.1 Million order for Vicinity buses. Doesn’t state how many, or what size they will be. 

205D9FF2-C3DB-438E-B6C0-A8BB4DDDC0A4.png

It seems as though this is an add on to the current order we have with them. Correct me if I’m wrong. 

They need them ASAP. The Arboc’s are failing fast. We’re down to 1021, 1022 and 1024. They routinely run 40-foot buses on the 18 because of it. 

2 hours ago, MaT said:

Just from working out around how much each bus will cost in another article for vicinity with a bunch of orders totalled up. I think HSR will have about 11 more vicinitys coming in, but thats just my guess.

I did confirm that they are 30ft and not their 35ft counterpart. Part of makes me wonder what we need 15 30 footers for? Maybe the 12, 18, 52A, then add 6/7/8 to those?

20 hours ago, MaT said:

Just from working out around how much each bus will cost in another article for vicinity with a bunch of orders totalled up. I think HSR will have about 11 more vicinitys coming in, but thats just my guess.

The total order is for 11. Five of which were previously ordered and six with this announcement. Don't forget that the CNG Vicinity buses cost more than their diesel counterparts.

On 25/02/2018 at 3:10 PM, Busdriver385 said:

A bunch of new Novas are sitting up on the hill behind the MTC! Noticed them this morning while I was pulling my bus out! The fleets numbers are 18xx 

This order should be for 30 total. I do not know the split between 1700s and 1800s yet. Last I heard it was 16/14 but that has not been confirmed. A total of 10 are on the property with both 1700s and 1800s being delivered.

These buses have perimeter seating in the upper level resulting in two less seats. There are only 30 seats in these LFS buses.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

The total order is for 11. Five of which were previously ordered and six with this announcement. Don't forget that the CNG Vicinity buses cost more than their diesel counterparts.

This order should be for 30 total. I do not know the split between 1700s and 1800s yet. Last I heard it was 16/14 but that has not been confirmed. A total of 10 are on the property with both 1700s and 1800s being delivered.

These buses have perimeter seating in the upper level resulting in two less seats. There are only 30 seats in these LFS buses.

I have been told they will be coming with Recaro seats and the A/C modifications already done. As was already said there is a new seating arrangement to replace the seats that faced each other, and the fold down W/C seats will now be more comfortable. 

On 2018-03-05 at 3:21 PM, TransferCutter said:

I just retired, 30 years service, from MiWay (Feb 28/18).  :D

Now I'm proud to say my son just got hired by HSR.  Starts training on Mar 12.

That’s awesome! Congrats on the long career and congrats to your son as well!

Also, 30 new Nova’s this year. They are already arriving on property. There will be 14 buses for the 1700 series and 16 buses for the 1800 series. They should be in service within the next 6 weeks or so. 

30 is another fairly large order for the HSR, I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of 06/07 retirements to make room for all the new ones. Really going to need something to take the stress off the MTC soon.

21 minutes ago, Wonka said:

30 is another fairly large order for the HSR, I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of 06/07 retirements to make room for all the new ones. Really going to need something to take the stress off the MTC soon.

Being told 14 replacements(remaining 04/0500’s) and 16 expansion.

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Think I saw one on its way on the 401/Kingston road overpass.

cng with white side desto.

That would be accurate. All of our Nova’s are CNG with white desto’s. 

10 minutes ago, Bravo Actual said:

New to living in Hamilton and been riding HSR alot to get around. Had a question I cant seem to find the answer for, even from the driver. What is with the "brushes" in the front wheel wells of the D40LF's?? 

To mitigate back splashing on the side windows. Sort of like a mud flap..

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

To mitigate back splashing on the side windows. Sort of like a mud flap..

Ah got ya. The driver at the time thought they were for preventing snow chunk buildups. Was it a popular option or not really? I only see a handful of the D40's with them. Usually ones with numbers 05XX to 08XX have them from what i've seen.

4 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

Being told 14 replacements(remaining 04/0500’s) and 16 expansion.

That's certainly amazing news considering that I don't think, to my knowledge that there've been too many orders that had buses deemed for expansion in awhile.

Now the other question is, what kind of expansion plans are there given the Transit budget was increased by 10% this year and the 10-year HSR Improvement Program is back in order?