Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

9 hours ago, Hybrid0920 said:

Presto printed transfers are coming to an end due to many problems. HSR is going back to only tear pad transfers. Printers will be removed from buses in the near future. 

The printers are part of the Driver Control Unit, so unless those are being replaced with standalone units (which is a rumour that was floating around last year), the printers can only be disabled.  If the HSR got rid of paper tickets and monthly passes once-and-for-all, then the amount of paper transfers required would be quite low. 

• Like 1

Other then the subtle improvements from 2015-2016, surely the HSR would have to bring about much more improvements so they cajn be ready for the LRT. I am uncertain if their City Council has put more funding into it to do so. Or, if they have slashed funding away which would be very counter-productive and ridership-draining move.
Are there any updates on those such improvements, if there are going to be any?

Common sense says to me that the biggest improvements to service can't happen until a new garage is built. There is literally zero room for expansion buses at the MTC. I'm going to guess thats why more of the 04 and 05 D40LF's were retired than anticipated so the new Nova's are replacement instead of expansion.

2 hours ago, Wonka said:

Common sense says to me that the biggest improvements to service can't happen until a new garage is built. There is literally zero room for expansion buses at the MTC. I'm going to guess thats why more of the 04 and 05 D40LF's were retired than anticipated so the new Nova's are replacement instead of expansion.

What about buying some land around the garage, or even building a new garage on Wentworth that can be used by DARTS as well.

2 hours ago, Wonka said:

No, the fleet stayed at 251 because the 2017 service budget, which included 5 expansion vehicles, has still not been approved by Council at this point. If approved, the 5 expansion buses will now come out of the 2017 order.

As for a new garage, a study is currently going on to determine a new possible location. There is still hope that a new garage will be finalized and built within 4-5 years.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Hybrid0920 said:

Is the HSR testing new vinyl sticker advertisement for the inside of the nova buses? Unless this was a sticker that was over top of the panel when the bus was delivered, and they forgot to take it off.

IMG_2689.JPG

That's a protective sheet for that panel. They are normally removed before the bus enters service, but I guess they forgot about that one.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Since the budget doesn't allow for any other funding for new buses, the 10-year Transit Expansion will be delayed by one year. It also means that the annual fare increase, at .10 cents would be put off, too.

Given that ridership goes down with every improvement, not doing anything might actually turn things around. 

On 3/26/2017 at 7:01 PM, Mishap said:

Given that ridership goes down with every improvement, not doing anything might actually turn things around. 

I'm in belief that once the public heard of the big bus expansion over 10 years, they were expecting quite big things to happen every year. It's those expectations that weren't met that probably had the riding public in Hamilton to then leave the bus altogether. Certainly I think the HSR has been wanting to do great things with their transit network especially with the LRT in a matter of 7 or so years. The symptom of the passengers' expectations and what they've seen or not seen if you will from the HSR has been, in my mind, one of the bigger factors for stagnant ridership levels. And of course, there's the Mountain Transit Garage. That alone has prohibited the ability to allow for more buses for expansion. As long as there's just that one garage, good luck on that.

At least the good news is that the annual fare increase would be held off until next year for the next wave of improvements.

Announced yesterday, there will be $36.2M for 13 new transit initiatives. Among them, a new bus garage and 15 new buses. 

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/hamilton/hamilton-public-transit-gets-36-2m-for-13-new-projects-1.4049488

In other news, I have yet to see 1642 and 1643 in service and I am trying to get official confirmation on what is retiring next.

• Like 2