Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

4 minutes ago, Busdriver385 said:

Just curious if anyone knows how many 1600 Novas were purchased? 

Originally 32 LFS Natural Gas buses were ordered. An option was exercised for eleven more to be delivered by the end of the year, which was accepted. This will make the order 43 buses in total, numbered 1601-1643.

9 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Originally 32 LFS Natural Gas buses were ordered. An option was exercised for eleven more to be delivered by the end of the year, which was accepted. This will make the order 43 buses in total, numbered 1601-1643.

Slight correction, the option was for 9 which will be 1633-1641.

45 minutes ago, Busdriver385 said:

Now does this mean they will be retiring only the remaining 0300s and having a bunch of coaches for service expansion or does this sadly mean on top of the 0300s we will be losing some of our amazing 0400 coaches aswell? 

41 buses with 9 expansion means 32 retirements. One will be 0616 (fire victim), 14 remaining 0300 series, 14 0400s and even 3 0500 series. The nine option buses will not be delivered until the end of the year so the reality is that some 0400s will probably make it to early 2017.

• Like 1

I was in another section and I saw a thread asking which TA's need a new paint scheme. IMO, HSR could use a refresh. I would love to see the paint scheme that is on the DE60LFR's and the XN60's to be applied to future orders, and if a bus needs a re-paint. I think the Nova's and XD40's would look great in that scheme.

On the note of the Nova's, are they going to be getting more in 2017? The reason I ask is HSR has a tendency to split the fleet numbers on the buses, case in point, the 04/0500 series, and the Xcelsiors(they are 2012's). Will they leave all the new Nova's as 1600's, or will they be something like 1601-1620 then 1701-1721?

I had previously found out from the fleet manager that they will be retiring the rest of the 0300's, and some of the worst 0400's and 0500's(maybe all of the 0400's?), so that's no surprise there. Do we know if there will be more 60-footers ordered, and, if so, will the be XN60's, or LFSN? The 06's aren't getting any younger, and the 09's are not far behind. It'll be time to look at replacements soon.

BTW, I also wanted to say I love the A/C in the Xcelsiors. 

It will be very interesting to watch the HSR over the next few years, especially with them being a part of the Metrolinx Consortium. It could be all Nova from here on, especially if they win the consortium bid again.

Once the LRT is up and running, there will be no more B-Line bus route so the majority of the articulated buses won't really be needed any more. By then, only the XN60's will still be around and they could probably be deployed to the rest of the routes that currently get them. I doubt they'd be looking into purchasing more unless new express bus routes are introduced on the mountain. Before any of that can happen, I'd imagine they will need to construct a new bus garage anyway.

Regarding Nova #'s, I'd imagine next years delivery (if it happens) will go into the 1700 series since the rest of this year's are going into 1601-1641 (which to me, seems to be the largest bus delivery the HSR has made in decades).

3 minutes ago, Wonka said:

Once the LRT is up and running, there will be no more B-Line bus route so the majority of the articulated buses won't really be needed any more. By then, only the XN60's will still be around and they could probably be deployed to the rest of the routes that currently get them. I doubt they'd be looking into purchasing more unless new express bus routes are introduced on the mountain. Before any of that can happen, I'd imagine they will need to construct a new bus garage anyway.

Regarding Nova #'s, I'd imagine next years delivery (if it happens) will go into the 1700 series since the rest of this year's are going into 1601-1641 (which to me, seems to be the largest bus delivery the HSR has made in decades).

I believe it's the largest delivery as well. That would make sense, I was just curious, because they've done it before with the #'s.

On 7/22/2016 at 10:50 AM, JRM1000 said:

I believe it's the largest delivery as well. That would make sense, I was just curious, because they've done it before with the #'s.

Should be 42 Nova LFS CNGs. Most are on properly or at least half of them. Should all be in the 16xx numbering series, don't see why they won't be. I'd think the other half of them, or what's left of that order should be in the next month and a bit. I'd also imagine that with that many buses coming in, there'd be serious expansion of services coming.

I want to correct myself. I think it's 32, with 18 expansion, 14 replacement. That seems about right.

12 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I want to correct myself. I think it's 32, with 18 expansion, 14 replacement. That seems about right.

Please look back only about 5 posts to what I posted earlier. There is not 18 expansion. It is only 9 expansion which means a total of 32 retirements this year, 41 buses total. As for the 9 option that was picked up, they will be delivered at the end of the year, I do not know what the numbers will be. If they come late, they may in fact be numbered 1701-09. The 1600s will be 1601-32 for sure.

5 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Please look back only about 5 posts to what I posted earlier. There is not 18 expansion. It is only 9 expansion which means a total of 32 retirements this year, 41 buses total. As for the 9 option that was picked up, they will be delivered at the end of the year, I do not know what the numbers will be. If they come late, they may in fact be numbered 1701-09. The 1600s will be 1601-32 for sure.

How many buses are left in the 0300 series? Also, what has been retired(if anything) from the 04/0500 series? 

On 7/16/2016 at 1:50 PM, JRM1000 said:

I am also not a fan of the front door on the Nova's(2/3 option). I am not sure why they went with that, or why they couldn't have gone with the same set up as Oakville.

However, all in all, if they can get the A/C issue fixed, they are ok buses. 

Oakville doesn't have the 2/3's front door configuration.

2 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Oakville doesn't have the 2/3's front door configuration.

That's correct, but I think you might have misunderstood JRM1000's point.   My reading of it is that he's saying the he would prefer the Oakville front doors, which are 50/50, to the HSR configuration which is 2/3 /  1/3.

1 hour ago, doug_oak said:

That's correct, but I think you might have misunderstood JRM1000's point.   My reading of it is that he's saying the he would prefer the Oakville front doors, which are 50/50, to the HSR configuration which is 2/3 /  1/3.

The 1/3 door that stays closed until needed is to direct people closer to the front of the bus, for ergonomic reasons.  Drivers would have to turn more than 90 degrees to interact with passengers on the older Novas.  That doesn't sound terrible until you remember that the driver is belted in - or should be - so all that turning is done from the waist up.  That could lead to neck/ shoulder/ back issues.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, 1604 said:

I wanted to briefly mention that I've added support for HSR on Transit55. You can view a map of all active buses, browse by vehicle type, view block schedules, and more.

https://transit55.ca/hamilton/map/

I'd love to hear what you think (but I don't want to derail the topic so it's probably best to post in this thread). Cheers!

This website is amazing! Thanks. However, I find the map too cluttered, but I know why it is like that. Maybe instead of having all of the routes lumped together like that, it could be like the HSR real time map where there is a list of routes and can be picked based on that. I also really like that one can see the list of units out on a particular day, as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

This website is amazing! Thanks. However, I find the map too cluttered, but I know why it is like that. Maybe instead of having all of the routes lumped together like that, it could be like the HSR real time map where there is a list of routes and can be picked based on that. I also really like that one can see the list of units out on a particular day, as well. 

Thanks! I'd like to add greater control over which routes are shown. Stay tuned. :)

For anyone who isn't already aware, HSR uniforms are changing once again! This time any pre existing uniforms will be banned after a short grace period! Our new summer polo shirts have been delivered and are being handed out to drivers! I received mine yesterday and am rocking the new look today! ? New uniforms consist of a light blue summer dri fit polo shirt, which doesn't need to be tucked it, has no pockets and the HSR emblem is positioned on the right sleeve so it's seen by passengers as the board the bus! These shirts are only premitted from Victoria Day until thanksgiving day  ?

Rest of the new uniforms consist of navy blue CARGO pants and shorts, a light blue dress shirt to be worn in the winter months (thanksgiving to Victoria Day) and Ties for men, neck scarves for women are mandatory with these shirts. Pullover cardigans, new soft shell spring jackets with reflectors for operators safety, and instead of the current parka style winter coat, we will be wearing nice new bomber style winter coats! 

As of right now only our summer polos have arrived but the hope is to have all new uniforms delivered and dispersed by the end of the calendar year, and the ban on old uniforms to be effective January 1/2017! ?

• Like 2

About two weeks ago I had looked at the Metrolinx website and it does include Hamilton has one of the agencies to be receiving articulated buses, joining St. Catharines and Durham Region.
as far as I understand, HSR wouldn't be purchasing artics for awhile, just based on memory. It'd be 3 years until the 2007 DE60LFRs get replaced...