Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

19 hours ago, Wonka said:

I can't imagine how they're fitting all these expansion buses into the already overcrowded mountain garage.

Like most places probably making space outside or there are plans to expand the garage.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, BT Invero said:

do they not normally run the novas on sundays? last few times in hamilton on a sunday i saw all flyers

They should be out, pretty sure I saw a few last Sunday. The Flyers will still kinda dominate the fleet until the next 30 Nova's arrive later this year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or is the air conditioning on the new Nova's very weak compared to the newer orders of Flyers? It seems to be especially weak or almost non-existent in the rear section, to the point that you can't even feel it blowing down on you from anywhere.

On 07/06/2016 at 8:40 PM, BT Invero said:

do they not normally run the novas on sundays? last few times in hamilton on a sunday i saw all flyers

Every Nova i've been on so far has either had non-working A/C(in the case of 1504 a few weeks ago), or it hasn't been on(in the case of 1501 yesterday morning). I'm not a fan of the Nova's. I see why they ordered them, but I was hoping for more Xcelsior's(XN40?). Most operators i've talked to don't like the Nova's, either. Hopefully, the consortium goes back to NFI, or HSR abandons it and orders their own buses. 

I like the styling of the Nova's over the Flyer's and the interior seems to be wider and more accessible but the build quality seems to be really inferior. They ride incredibly rough and rattly, I can only imagine how they'll sound after they're 10 years old. The '97s were absolutely terrible for that as well.

3 hours ago, Wonka said:

I like the styling of the Nova's over the Flyer's and the interior seems to be wider and more accessible but the build quality seems to be really inferior. They ride incredibly rough and rattly, I can only imagine how they'll sound after they're 10 years old. The '97s were absolutely terrible for that as well.

I know! Take a look at some of the seats as well. The side panels on them are starting to come off already, and I am sure that is a result of the build quality and the fact they rattle a lot. If I had to choose I would choose XN40 over LFS.

Also, I would love to see them replace the Arbocs with the Vicinity model, or, if NFI still has a 30-foot model, with those. They could also be used on low ridership routes, or routes that don't get many people at night, such as the 33. Are the Arboc's still doing well? Are the due for replacement anytime soon?

3 hours ago, JRM1000 said:

Also, I would love to see them replace the Arbocs with the Vicinity model, or, if NFI still has a 30-foot model, with those. They could also be used on low ridership routes, or routes that don't get many people at night, such as the 33. 

Maybe for low-ridership routes, but not to change out at night.  Any cost benefits that might come from a smaller bus would be largely negated by the extra mileage and manpower required to swap buses in the evening.

I've said this before (in terms of the TTC's own fleet of Nova's) but the NovaBus' are just an oddly designed bus and there's only so much that can be done with them. The seating works for the HSR since they stick with the perimeter arrangement with the odd rear wheelchair ramp placement; but to be honest in the long term, Volvo should really come up with something else.

• 2 weeks later...
On June 30, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Hybrid0920 said:

1601-1607 are on the property. They are identical to the 15's inside and out.

Do you know if they've fixed the A/C issue? I was told HSR is aware of it and they made Nova aware of it as well. I was also told they are working on a fix, and a test bus should be done in about a month. Also, any word on when to expect them in service? Are they going to hang around until Sept like the Xcelsiors did?

I was also told that these new Nova's mean the end of the 0300's and the worst of the 04/0500's(because both were bought in the same year)

Glad to see that the A/C issue wasn't just in my head. I've noticed drivers opening the windows in the rear of the Nova's even with the A/C on because it basically does nothing back there. Get on a Nova from an Xcelsior with the A/C on and you'll notice a huge difference throughout the bus.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 7400 said:

Its an option by HSR.

Interesting.  Not a bad thing, but I didn't think that they could get that specific with options when ordering buses.  Otherwise, I would have expected them to also request that the 4-ways not flash when the doors are open, something they have disabled on all previous models.

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Mishap said:

Interesting.  Not a bad thing, but I didn't think that they could get that specific with options when ordering buses.  Otherwise, I would have expected them to also request that the 4-ways not flash when the doors are open, something they have disabled on all previous models.

When you buy a vehicle worth over half a million dollars you would want all options you can get. Everything can be reprogrammed.

I am also not a fan of the front door on the Nova's(2/3 option). I am not sure why they went with that, or why they couldn't have gone with the same set up as Oakville.

However, all in all, if they can get the A/C issue fixed, they are ok buses. 

Councillor wants 'ugly' blue HSR bus window wraps removed

Aidan Johnson says dark covering on bus windows detracts from experience of riding on public transit

By Adam Carter, CBC NewsJul 20, 2016

Ward 1 Coun. Aidan Johnson is sick of the "ugly blue film" affixed to the windows of many of Hamilton's city buses — and so he is attempting to get rid of it once and for all.

Johnson will move a motion at the Aug. 12 city council meeting to remove the blue wrap from HSR's fleet of buses.

While originally conceived as a vandalism deterrent, the dark blue window-covering film makes it almost impossible to see out of the back windows of a bus.

"I ride the HSR bus every day, and I always have a sinking feeling in my heart when I realize the only spots available are in the back," Johnson said.

"We should be encouraging people to ride the bus, and I think this will help."

In his motion, Johnson says the city's transit department is in the process of removing the film from "a number of buses" right now, and has started a pilot project using a clear anti-vandalism film on about 25 per cent of HSR's fleet of buses.

Should the motion pass, staff would be directed to remove all remaining blue film from all bus windows, continue the pilot project with the clear film, and monitor the impacts of using the clear film, or none at all.

Johnson says he has "asked about the cost" of the project, and is waiting to hear back. He says his "assumption is that it won't be cost-prohibitive."

"We need to encourage more people to ride the HSR, and not create a disincentive," Johnson said. "Looking out the window is one of the pleasures of riding the bus.

"My motion aims to bring that pleasure back."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/hsr-blue-bus-wraps-1.3687714

16 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Councillor wants 'ugly' blue HSR bus window wraps removed

Aidan Johnson says dark covering on bus windows detracts from experience of riding on public transit

By Adam Carter, CBC NewsJul 20, 2016

Ward 1 Coun. Aidan Johnson is sick of the "ugly blue film" affixed to the windows of many of Hamilton's city buses — and so he is attempting to get rid of it once and for all.

Johnson will move a motion at the Aug. 12 city council meeting to remove the blue wrap from HSR's fleet of buses.

While originally conceived as a vandalism deterrent, the dark blue window-covering film makes it almost impossible to see out of the back windows of a bus.

"I ride the HSR bus every day, and I always have a sinking feeling in my heart when I realize the only spots available are in the back," Johnson said.

"We should be encouraging people to ride the bus, and I think this will help."

In his motion, Johnson says the city's transit department is in the process of removing the film from "a number of buses" right now, and has started a pilot project using a clear anti-vandalism film on about 25 per cent of HSR's fleet of buses.

Should the motion pass, staff would be directed to remove all remaining blue film from all bus windows, continue the pilot project with the clear film, and monitor the impacts of using the clear film, or none at all.

Johnson says he has "asked about the cost" of the project, and is waiting to hear back. He says his "assumption is that it won't be cost-prohibitive."

"We need to encourage more people to ride the HSR, and not create a disincentive," Johnson said. "Looking out the window is one of the pleasures of riding the bus.

"My motion aims to bring that pleasure back."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/hsr-blue-bus-wraps-1.3687714

The Nova's are the only buses i've seen the clear film applied to. I have not yet seen any others.