Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

Multiple 60-footers on Delaware, all branches, not just 5A/5C. I can't confirm it was all Delaware buses - of which there would be 12 - but I did not see a 40-footer. Don't know if something was going on in the west end, or this is a new regular thing (as Winter schedules began on Sunday).

Speaking of the Novas, seeing they're all CNG as well as the XN60's, are there any restrictions in terms of how long they can be in service for on a typical day? I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the C40LFs did at one point which meant that there was a better chance of seeing a diesel bus operating on those 16+ hour shifts on a route.

Given that these newer CNG buses are well, newer, has the CNG fuel technology improved the reliability of these buses to be out on the roads longer on a day-to-day basis?

I saw 1513 heading towards the garage on Upper James around the noon hour today. I noticed that the yellow stripe is not quite the same colour used by the HSR. Wasn't that an issue with some of the New Flyer buses a few years back (ca. 2008)?

If you are referring to this (photo below of the 0800s), it was not a mistake by New Flyer. HSR requested the new colors as they were the same color stripes that were on the metallic paint scheme of the articulated buses. Once the first few buses were delivered, it was decided that it did not look good at all and the switch was made back to what it was originally.

As for the Novas, it is clearly a different yellow. As mentioned above, the yellow stripe is reflective on the Novas which most likely resulted in the slightly different color. I do not know if this will be specified for all future 40' orders now. It will be interesting to see.

HSR 0805 and 0810 - 21MAR08.jpg

Looks like the security cameras are going into the budget:

"Bus safety

HSR drivers suffered close to 40 assaults in 2014, a five-year high. Troubling incidents in recent years included a driver beaten with a steel coil and another dragged off a bus by a group of teens.

Council turned down a request for on-board cameras last year, but the $1.7 million in security spending appears set to be approved.

"This is important for the safety of our employees and our customers. Hopefully, (the cameras) act as a deterrent," said HSR director Dave Dixon.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6219694-hamilton-s-capital-budget-plan-your-summer-traffic-jams/

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone knows if LRT will be operated by HSR? Or is it going to be a whole separate transit company in Hamilton? I would love to see LRT be owned and operated by HSR!

I wonder who will be trusted to build the LRT cars since Bombardier made such a mess of the TTC order.

I wonder who will be trusted to build the LRT cars since Bombardier made such a mess of the TTC order.

Well you'll disappointed to hear that it will indeed be Bombardier who will manufacture the LRT cars for Hamilton.

On the bright side (although not officially announced), Metrolinx will operate the LRT line. In my opinion that's great since the HSR proves on a consistent basis that they are inept in providing adequate service throughout various parts of the city.

On the bright side (although not officially announced), Metrolinx will operate the LRT line. In my opinion that's great since the HSR proves on a consistent basis that they are inept in providing adequate service throughout various parts of the city.

Technically, Metrolinx won't operate the line - they don't have the capability to operate anything. What they will do is contract out operations and maintenance. And who knows....maybe they'll contract it out to HSR.

Dan

And who knows....maybe they'll contract it out to HSR.

I really hope you're wrong on that one (for Hamilton's sake). But I can definitely see the HSR begging to operate the line though since the Main-King corridor essentially subsidizes other routes in the city.

Councillors expected to take next step in LRT plan

Hamilton, ON, Canada / AM900 CHML | Hamilton News

Rick Zamperin | Posted: January 25, 2016 07:13 am

City Councillors will be asked to approve a “memorandum of agreement” with Metrolinx when the LRT subcommittee meets Monday.

The agreement states that while the city can give input on major components of the project, the provincial agenda will have final control over everything from budget and scheduling to planning, design and construction.

Construction is expected to start in 2018 with the line to be operational by 2024.