Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

Kevin had said they would be on 2 Barton on weekends.

The articulated hybrid buses should be in use on Saturday and Sunday on route 1-King. They will probably not be in service on Good Friday.

The 40' hybrid buses are supposed to be used on 2-Barton, but seeing as how one was on a school extra this morning and Upper Went/Well this afternoon, they may end up anywhere.

Kevin

You know, I got to thinking about how the articulated buses should be distributed when they're not on Beeline service. I think that they should be split up between the Barton and King routes. The Barton would do very well with an articulated bus, the only problem I can see happening is getting through the tight turn at Barton/Walter, and possibly at Bell Manor Loop. The 40 foot buses have a bit of trouble with both of those turns as it is. If this were somehow avoided though, it would be a good idea. Possibly creating a short turn service for Barton buses? Maybe even a 2A Barton Express or Barton Short turn at Kenilworth? Things aren't too crowded going East after Kenilworth anyway, so it would still serve it's purpose.

Even still, having the 40 foot hybrid's on Barton will be good.

The articulated hybrid buses should be in use on Saturday and Sunday on route 1-King. They will probably not be in service on Good Friday.

The 40' hybrid buses are supposed to be used on 2-Barton, but seeing as how one was on a school extra this morning and Upper Went/Well this afternoon, they may end up anywhere.

Kevin

So i Can See it on Saturday?

Or do we Have to Wait a While?

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/Cityan.../07-04-03ph.htm

City of Hamilton – Public Works

Hamilton's new hybrid buses a first in Canada

Hamilton, Ontario – April 3, 2007 – Mayor Fred Eisenberger was joined by representatives of Hamilton transit users and all levels of government in introducing Hamilton Street Railway’s new fleet of eco-friendly hybrid buses. The fleet is composed of 12 diesel/electric hybrid buses, including seven 60 foot articulated buses – the first of their kind in Canada. These new buses will help lower greenhouse gas emissions, improve air quality and increase capacity for public transit users in Hamilton.

“Today Hamilton has once again reinforced its leadership role among Canadian municipalities in providing residents with environment-friendly technology and services,” said Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger. “These hybrid buses complement Hamilton’s many environmental initiatives – initiatives that are bringing healthy change to the Greater Hamilton Area today and for generations to come.”

Mayor Eisenberger was joined by David Sweet, MP for Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale and Jennifer Mossop, MPP for Stoney Creek. The hybrid buses are part of an $18 million bus fleet purchase using $6 million in federal Gas Tax Funds, $3.4 million of the provincial Gas Tax and Ontario Transit Vehicle Program (OTVP) funds and $8.5 million from the City of Hamilton. In February, a fleet of 22 conventional lower emission diesel buses went into service in Hamilton.

“Putting these hybrid buses on Hamilton’s bus routes is putting Hamilton’s Master Transportation Plan into action,” said General Manager of Hamilton’s Public Works Department, Scott Stewart. “The plan calls for greater public transit capacity and strategies to reduce vehicle emissions in Hamilton, we have delivered on both recommendations.”

The event was capped with a history-making first run of the new hybrid articulated bus to McMaster University. As the first of its kind in North America, the event was recognized by the presentation of a plaque by the manufacturer to Mayor Eisenberger.

“New Flyer is pleased to have manufactured these environmentally-friendly buses for Hamilton and we are proud of our long-term relationship with this forward-thinking customer,” said John Marinucci, President and CEO of New Flyer. “These restyled, hybrid-electric articulated buses are the first of their kind in Canada and the United States and will certainly assist them meeting their objectives of increased passenger capacity and environmental improvements.”

"GM is excited to be partnering with the City of Hamilton which has selected our advanced parallel hybrid bus technology to help with the greening of the City's transport system”, said David Paterson, GM of Canada's vice president of corporate and environmental affairs. "Reducing emissions requires a diversity of technology solutions for both public and personal transportation and GM is delivering new solutions that range from hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles to vehicle electrification and fuel cells."

In his remarks, Mayor Eisenberger highlighted the importance of public transit funding saying, “Through these kinds of partnerships, all levels of government can work together to make our cities and communities better places to live.”

Some general info:

Backgrounder - Hamilton's eco-friendly transit fleet

This event is the second of a multi-part celebration of Hamilton’s $18 million transit fleet purchase. This historical tripartite funding was announced at a February 5, 2007 event coincident with the launch of 22 conventional lower emission diesel buses.

The $18 million transit fleet purchase – the largest single purchase in Hamilton Street Railway (HSR) history – was funded through the City (2006 & 2007 Capital budget - $3.9 million each year, plus $742,000 from Development Charges), the Government of Ontario ($3.4 million); and the Government of Canada ($6 million).

The fleet purchase was approved by, Hamilton City Council at its July 12, 2006 meeting and includes the purchase of:

22 conventional lower emission diesel buses (in service as of February 5, 2007);

Five 40-foot diesel/electric hybrid buses (in service as of April 3, 2007);

Seven 60-foot articulated buses (in service as of April 3, 2007), and;

Two replica trolleys (in service by summer 2007).

The purchase of diesel/electric hybrid buses is a key intention of Hamilton’s Transportation Master Plan – a key component of the City’s long range strategic planning study focusing on Hamilton’s growth over the next 30 years.

The conventional lower emission diesel buses produce 80% less emissions than the regular diesel buses they replace.

The City of Hamilton is committed to reducing greenhouse emissions by purchasing lower-emission diesel buses and hybrid buses. The City’s Public Works Department is committed to Greening its fleet – the City of Hamilton currently has one of the largest hybrid fleets in Canada with 68 vehicles including passenger cars, hybrid pick-up trucks and buses.

Diesel hybrid buses do not require transit properties to alter their existing fuelling infrastructure by purchasing and maintaining expensive alternative fuel stations.

The 114 rider capacity, 60-foot hybrid articulated bus with the restyled front is the first of its kind in North America as acknowledged by the manufacturer, New Flyer.

Hamilton Street Railway (HSR) is a division of the City of Hamilton’s Public Works Department. For the benefit of the general public, HSR provides access to the community and GTA municipalities through an affordable and environmentally advantageous public transportation alternative that is safe, reliable, convenient and professionally delivered. HSR has been providing public transit services for Hamiltonians for more than 130 years

You know, I got to thinking about how the articulated buses should be distributed when they're not on Beeline service. I think that they should be split up between the Barton and King routes. The Barton would do very well with an articulated bus, the only problem I can see happening is getting through the tight turn at Barton/Walter, and possibly at Bell Manor Loop. The 40 foot buses have a bit of trouble with both of those turns as it is. If this were somehow avoided though, it would be a good idea. Possibly creating a short turn service for Barton buses? Maybe even a 2A Barton Express or Barton Short turn at Kenilworth? Things aren't too crowded going East after Kenilworth anyway, so it would still serve it's purpose.

Even still, having the 40 foot hybrid's on Barton will be good.

In theory, an articulated bus would have an easier time making this turn as it has a shorter wheelbase between the steering wheels and middle set of duals. The trailer simply follows the front section. Having said that, I don't think what you're saying would be a problem.

so much for keeping the DE41LFs on the 2...I just got off 0604, it was doing the 5A/C and I rode it on its last trip. They do sound a little different than the normal D40LFs and they ride smoother since it doesn't have transmission shifting, but the noise reminds me a lot of the high pitched whining the 07s make when they're going really fast. 0604 was having trouble with the front doors though, as they kept sticking when they opened.

so much for keeping the DE41LFs on the 2...I just got off 0604, it was doing the 5A/C and I rode it on its last trip. They do sound a little different than the normal D40LFs and they ride smoother since it doesn't have transmission shifting, but the noise reminds me a lot of the high pitched whining the 07s make when they're going really fast. 0604 was having trouble with the front doors though, as they kept sticking when they opened.

Again, that high pitch is due to rear axle!

Well, as Kevin N said, the DE41LF was originally assigned on route 2, it's now going to be anywhere you'll see.

Well, why wouldn't it be :D ? The DE40LF is the same as any other bus, just hybrid. :)

It is the same as the other low floor buses, but in order to maximize fuel savings and the advantages due to regenerative braking, hybrids are best used on low average speed, frequent stop bus routes.

Route 2-Barton is perfect for that and as such would maximize the benefits for the City of Hamilton taxpayers. Don't forget that hybrids costs substantially more than the diesels and their cost has to be justified somehow.

Yesterday afternoon, a 40' hybrid was on the Beeline. On express routes, fuel savings are minimal as found in numerous cities, most notably Seattle.

Kevin

The hybrid artics will be used on weekends eventually on route 1-King. I do not know if they will be in service this weekend though.

Kevin

howdy, I'm a downtown Hamilton resident and transit enthusiast. New to this site.

I love these new 60-footers. I rode one a couple times this past week and they remind me a lot of the electric light rail/ streetcar lines I've ridden in other cities. Very smooth, quieter and there's that powerful 'take-off' when the bus pulls away from a stop or light.

Does anyone know if the artics will be used in mid-afternoons and evenings when the Beeline isn't running?

I'm hopeful to see them on the 1-King on weekends, but man the 1-King is crazy during the day. It seems to me that regularly 2 or 3 Kings leave the McNab terminal at the same time. The first one gets jammed to the rafters, the 2nd one partially full and the 3rd one flies past them both around mid-town with hardly anyone in it. Why not have them come every 3 minutes instead of every 10 minutes all at once??

Was there yesterday. No artics were on King, due to long weekend! Was busy enough to have riders.

However, rode 0603 on route 51. Fast acceleration and it's not the first time I rode a Hybrid 40ft bus.

The NFI/GM Hybrid were DE40LF.

Yep. Even on the plaque given to the Mayor by the New Flyer representative, it said "DE40LF" on it. It's just easier to not be so specific.

Check the builders plate, they were delivered as DE41LF. They even gave out DE41LF specification sheets at the unveiling last week to the media.

Is Hamilton ordering the ones that are similar to the ones in Charlottetown?

From what I have heard (this was a while ago too...) Dupont Trolley will be manufacturing HSR's "trolleys", I don't know if they are going to go with the Blue Bird Ultra LF body or something else.

Where is the "builders plate" on a bus? well anyways, i rode 0610, 0612 today, and i sat just past the artic part, and it was a really rough ride... :P it gave me a headache!!! ;) i was on 0612 today, and the point of a hybrid bus, is not to pres the gas at a red light, well, this driver held the brake and the gas at the same time!! :P which i think isnt right... and 0612 almost rear ended 9925!! but managed to go around.. :lol: that would be sad, a new artic gone in the 1st week!! :(