Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

I was curious what they have to train the 51 University drivers. They no how to use an artic!!???

It won't necessarily be the same drivers from the University route driving the new buses, as the new Artics will be used for the B-LINE route, which is an entirely different sign-up. I am by far an expert, but I would think these new buses would need some sort of training as it is a different type of bus technology from what the HSR i used to, and they have more gadgets I am sure.....Anyways I am sure they will fine, just hope the vandals don't destroy them, like it seems they are doing to the '07's. I can't wait to see if they go to all day service on the B-LINE run if the new Artics will be used for the day or just the busiest portion of the service day.

It won't necessarily be the same drivers from the University route driving the new buses, as the new Artics will be used for the B-LINE route, which is an entirely different sign-up. I am by far an expert, but I would think these new buses would need some sort of training as it is a different type of bus technology from what the HSR i used to, and they have more gadgets I am sure.....Anyways I am sure they will fine, just hope the vandals don't destroy them, like it seems they are doing to the '07's. I can't wait to see if they go to all day service on the B-LINE run if the new Artics will be used for the day or just the busiest portion of the service day.

did you see the artic being delivered?

did you see the artic being delivered?

New Flyer DE60LFR Artic 0612 was delivered Sunday night. Two other artics on route broke down while being delivered due to a centre axle problem. Two DE40LF hybrids (0603 and 0604) were delivered today. So far, these are the only three hybrids on the property.

They will not enter service until sometime in April, however, there will be a press conference announcing the hybrid arrivals at City Hall soon. Watch the HSR website for further details once they are known.

The artics will start out on Beeline during weekdays and route 1-King on Saturdays and Sundays. The 40' hybrids will probably see most of their time on route 2 - Barton.

Kevin

New Flyer DE60LFR Artic 0612 was delivered Sunday night. Two other artics on route broke down while being delivered due to a centre axle problem. Two DE40LF hybrids (0603 and 0604) were delivered today. So far, these are the only three hybrids on the property.

They will not enter service until sometime in April, however, there will be a press conference announcing the hybrid arrivals at City Hall soon. Watch the HSR website for further details once they are known.

The artics will start out on Beeline during weekdays and route 1-King on Saturdays and Sundays. The 40' hybrids will probably see most of their time on route 2 - Barton.

Kevin

Hmm, Yet another example to never take a bus drivers story 100% LOL! (A bus driver in Hamilton gave me the info)

Kevin, do you have any photos you could share ?

Well, once the DE60LFR is in service, expect more vandels than your 40ft or so. I wish HSR have that kind of money to have security camera on buses, but there's no such thing.

Hmm, Yet another example to never take a bus drivers story 100% LOL! (A bus driver in Hamilton gave me the info)

The press conference to announce the arrival of the hybrids will be March 26th at 3:00 PM at City Hall in Hamilton. One 60' and one 40' hybrid will be at the conference.

Until then, here are a few photos. There is still only the one artic on the property.

Kevin

As for the 40' hybrids, here are a couple of photos. By the way, the official model designation as shown on the builders plate is DE41LF.

There was an extra 9" of length required to fit the hybrid drive transmission in the bus. Note the slope at the back of the bus and the slightly larger overhanng.

Kevin

HSR_0612___Turning_Right___15MAR07.jpg

HSR_0612_and_518203___15MAR07.jpg

HSR_0612___Interior_From_Turntable___15MAR07.jpg

HSR_0604___15MAR07.jpg

HSR_0604___Rear_View___15MAR07.jpg

The press conference to announce the arrival of the hybrids will be March 26th at 3:00 PM at City Hall in Hamilton. One 60' and one 40' hybrid will be at the conference.

Kevin

Awsome Photos !!

So where do they plan on putting the "HSR" Decal on it ! Doesn't look like they have much room !

Might have to bag off school that day :lol:

I have a question. Why are the new D40LFs numbered in the 07 series but the DE40LF and DE60LF in the 06 series?

The order of 34 buses was a combined order for 2006/07. HSR wanted the diesels and the hybrids to have a separate series number so they chose 06 for the hybrids and 07 for the diesels.

Upon reflection, it might have been best to reverse the series. The diesels, while numbered 07 actually are 2006 models according to the builders plate. The hybrids, while numbered 06 are 2007 models according to the builders plate.

Kevin

The order of 34 buses was a combined order for 2006/07. HSR wanted the diesels and the hybrids to have a separate series number so they chose 06 for the hybrids and 07 for the diesels.

Upon reflection, it might have been best to reverse the series. The diesels, while numbered 07 actually are 2006 models according to the builders plate. The hybrids, while numbered 06 are 2007 models according to the builders plate.

Kevin

Nice photos Kevin!! I was expecting that the hybrids would have the restyled front! i cant win!

Nice photos Kevin!! I was expecting that the hybrids would have the restyled front! i cant win!

On the artic photo, is that a wood floor, or a piece of card board?

Its just to keep everyones dirty feet off the floor untill the bus is introduced to the public :lol: I remember our NOVA's having the same thing on the floor, except white.

It's pretty much all other bus manufacture by covering the floor interior.

Its just to keep everyones dirty feet off the floor untill the bus is introduced to the public ;) I remember our NOVA's having the same thing on the floor, except white.

You must be talking abut the 24XX buses as the 26XX never came with anything covering the floors.

As for Hamilton's DE60LFRs, in the photo it looks great but it definitely needs a logo. A few interesing things as well is why they chose for some models to have the restyled front whereas others don't. What was the reasoning behind this?

Another thing that I find highly interesting is that they have introduced yet another propulsion type to the fleet. Are the hybrid buses intended to be used only on certain routes or will they be used across the whole system? How many of them have been purchased, not including Artics?

They're probably going to be treated like every other bus, and be used across the whole system. On a side note, does anyone know which garage they'll be based out of?

In a post which Kevin_N had posted in this thread, the weekdays will have these Hybrid 60 footers on the 1-Beeline. Weekend service will see them operating on the 1-King. I'd like to see about 1 or 2 of them during mid-days either on the 1/1A or the 2.

The HSR has one garage and that's on the mountain.

In a post which Kevin_N had posted in this thread, the weekdays will have these Hybrid 60 footers on the 1-Beeline. Weekend service will see them operating on the 1-King. I'd like to see about 1 or 2 of them during mid-days either on the 1/1A or the 2.

The HSR has one garage and that's on the mountain.

10 BEELINE

I am so glad to see the new buses, thanks for the pics Kevin, I will definitely have to make a special trip down to the hammer for that press conferance!!!

SWEET!

As for Hamilton's DE60LFRs, in the photo it looks great but it definitely needs a logo.

As the designer of the winning bus design - I was told to leave it off my final design as they would be added later as decals. So when they are finally on the road and I assume at the press conference - they will all be decaled out!

Just to give some of you the background of my design - the "swooshes and swoops" as they've been called represent the sweeping lines and magestic curves of Hamilton's two natural wonders - the harbour and escarpment. Blue representing the water of the harbour and gold showcasing the beauty that is the escarpment. The design also highlights our placement at the Head of the Lake and as the Hub of the Golden Horseshoe. I also think the curves will look great when the bus is breezing along King or Main Streets when it is on the B-Line. Lots of movement, fluidity and much more organic that the static lines that are a fixture on most of the HSR line.

Dave Kuruc

As for Hamilton's DE60LFRs, in the photo it looks great but it definitely needs a logo. A few interesing things as well is why they chose for some models to have the restyled front whereas others don't. What was the reasoning behind this?

HSR wants the artics to have a different look for the public. Which is why they have the livery contest.

As the designer of the winning bus design - I was told to leave it off my final design as they would be added later as decals. So when they are finally on the road and I assume at the press conference - they will all be decaled out!

Just to give some of you the background of my design - the "swooshes and swoops" as they've been called represent the sweeping lines and magestic curves of Hamilton's two natural wonders - the harbour and escarpment. Blue representing the water of the harbour and gold showcasing the beauty that is the escarpment. The design also highlights our placement at the Head of the Lake and as the Hub of the Golden Horseshoe. I also think the curves will look great when the bus is breezing along King or Main Streets when it is on the B-Line. Lots of movement, fluidity and much more organic that the static lines that are a fixture on most of the HSR line.

Dave Kuruc

Quick Question, Whats it like to see YOUR livery on a bus !? I know we have all thought of it, but, none of us have really ever gotten our ideas onto a bus ! Im sure it will be fun when your Downtown with your friends/family and you get to say " I designed the livery on that bus !"

Hey those are really nice pics. That DE60LFR looks absolutely wicked. Now I really cant wait till MTs 60LFRs arrive this summer. Nice livery man. It looks good. I wish that all the transit would bring something in like that, unlike the stupid stripes that we still use.

I notice that some systems are able to oder the LFR with the windows full length of the front door, like it originally was in Vancouver, not like MTs LFRs. How does the mechanism work?? Anyone know??

I notice that some systems are able to oder the LFR with the windows full length of the front door, like it originally was in Vancouver, not like MTs LFRs. How does the mechanism work?? Anyone know??

That is the new design of the LFR door. The hinge at hand level is a safety concern. You will notice your beloved MT LFRs receiving [ugly] plates over the hinges.