Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

Just rode 'Route 9 Rock Gardens' today for the first time. I'm amazed how many people were on the bus considering that it's a summer route that only runs on Sundays. It only serves the cemetaires near the RBG, and I noticed that there was primarily seniors using the route.

Also the '2 Barton' is still packed on Sunday, even with a 15 minute frequency. I suppose it didn't help that the bus I was on was 10 minutes late. The driver had to tell people at every stop that she was late and there was another bus 5 minutes behind her. I think the HSR might do good to add some of the 'information/pr' messages to indicate that the bus is full. Such as 'take next bus'

The 9 is been known for it's senior or "old farts" routes for many years.

Well, putting "Next Bus" sign will tick off the locals, it won't help much.

A P/R message saying "Standing Load" wont be a bad idea.. Giving the customer the choice of taking it, or waiting for the next bus.

That still doesn't work. HSR really needs to bump into 10 min of service for Sunday at least for the two major routes.

you want to hear more H&S Whining go to Hamilton, they will NEVER call stops UNLESS they are either FORCED to BY LAW, or they are SUED, I lived there for 27 years, I'll NEVER move back, the City does not give a damm about accessibility, they do the minimum required by the AODA, and THAT'S IT!

HSR and the CITY will NEVER spend the MONEY NEEDED to get an automated system!

I have FOUGHT the HSR about ACCESSIBILITY, MANY TIMES!!!! I left and the same B.S is happening, same crap different day!

I'd like to hear from Hamilton drivers about calling stops, for or against... H&S Issues...etc. Message me, or come see the Grand River Transit thread. Thanks

I'd like to hear from Hamilton drivers about calling stops, for or against... H&S Issues...etc. Message me, or come see the Grand River Transit thread. Thanks

Well I'm not a driver, but I use the system fairly frequently. I think that calling out stops (whether automated or by the driver) is a good idea all around. There was one driver in Hamilton, that I haven't seen around in a while now, that called out stops and I think it was great.

I remember going to Toronto two years ago and riding a route I had never been on before (at night), standing room only on a Fishbowl. I couldn't see out the windows that well and couldn't see what was outside the window either with it being so dark. Coupled with the fact that I'd never been to that part of Toronto either having stops (or main streets) called out would have been very helpful. All I knew was that I was looking for a big building (hotel) after passing under an underpass. Luckily I found it, but I was worried that I might miss my stop.

Having automated/called out stops in Hamilton, like they are doing in Toronto, would be a good idea I think.

If a city like London, where transit is not a priority really in the city, can put an automated stop announcement system in, I would think Hamilton could do that easily.

And someone who's been to London and tried out the american style auto announcement. He told me it's hard to hear due to low volume but it does talk outside when front door are open announcing what route and destination.

As of Hamilton, what buschic has kept trying for the suggestion for announcement, management will not budge it!

If a city like London, where transit is not a priority really in the city, can put an automated stop announcement system in, I would think Hamilton could do that easily.

Yep, I completely agree with you, I've been on LTC since that started, I like it a lot....

That's a shame. It's difficult to get an equal view of things or understand issues fully without having a balanced board...

Yeah, it IS a shame, but they got sick of the idiots on here a while ago, and they left, I knew all 4 of them that used to frequent this board, I had invited 3 of themn, the other person found out from one of my friends.

I've tried to invite more, but they just dont feel safe or comfortable coming on here......

And someone who's been to London and tried out the american style auto announcement. He told me it's hard to hear due to low volume but it does talk outside when front door are open announcing what route and destination.

As of Hamilton, what buschic has kept trying for the suggestion for announcement, management will not budge it!

Yeah, General, I'm STILL trying! LOL, so far, nothing, but I still have hope that SOMEDAY....HSR will get the funding to do it. but as a lot of people know, Hamilton is NOT a Transit City, they just provide the minimum level of service it requires it seems...

Other than making a bus look pretty they really have not improved accessibility for a long time...

Yeah, the volume is a bit of a problem, and I haven't rode in London since they officially implemented the system, during the summer, it was being worked on, and tweaked, so it wasn't working all the time. I'll be back in London on friday, and have to take a bus, so I'll check it out there.

I'm slightly hearing impaired in my right ear, and I also had a problem with the LTC system, but AT LEAST it is THERE......

Can you let us know if they've increased the volume, I find LTC to be pretty receptive to customer inquires...

New Face Book group:

HSR bus on Centennial

As you may or may not know, the HSR already has plans to implement a route on Centennial from Eastgate Square to Rymal and Upper Centennial in September 2009, which will connect with Route 44 Rymal when that is extended to that areas.

I have also previously submitted ideas for routing details of these routes as well as others and made them on a google map.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&...ff81d5&z=12

Can anyone identify this Fishbowl also at the rear of the Garage.

gm_hsr_08_26_08_mt.jpg

Just found out that it is 931 and Jason must have been there a day before me.

Yeah you can't really see the number from the photo (or mine for that matter). You can see it from the inside and from up close through the black paint. I made a point to take another shot of the number close up so that I would remember the number when I got home to go through the photos. Man it brings back memories being inside that bus again.