Orion VIII

King County Metro - Seattle, Washington

50 minutes ago, dancingfatpotato said:

Are the coaches scratched by the bus wash? It seems as if many of the xcelsiors are not very shiny anymore, rather they have scratch marks all over the paint 

Tree branches don't help...

55 minutes ago, anonymous guy said:

The roof fairings, starting with the DE60LFRs to the XDE coaches, haven't fared too well with tree branches.

Please don't tell the Vancouver section of cptdb we're talking about roof fairings on this thread...

;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Atomic Taco said:

Much more technical information on page 242 of this document.

And we care why? Used radios of all kinds are a dime a dozen on Ebay.

1 hour ago, northwesterner said:

Tree branches don't help...

Lots of reasons, usually the paint is cheap, the constant washing doesn't help, the road grit, grime, debris, of course tree branches, minor accidents, all don't help either.

58 minutes ago, busdude.com said:

And we care why? Used radios of all kinds are a dime a dozen on Ebay.

Lots of interesting (to me at least) architectural/technical design info there.  Not sure what used radios have to do with any of it.

11 hours ago, pnwelevator said:

All buses will lose their shine eventually... they don't always stay brand new forever, it's called aging.

Yes, but it seems like there is a specific triangle pattern to these scratches, any reason why? 

17 hours ago, anonymous guy said:

Riding route 120 on coach 6201. Those trolley motorization weekends sure are odd. 

A preview of what passengers can expect in a few years when the 120 becomes the RapidRide H Line.

Hi,

I am working on a project related to Metro routes. I noticed in 80s-era Metro system maps that there were routes 30, 47 and 62 (different from the later routes 30 and 62). I was trying to dig up some information on those routes, but could not find any. Could anyone please tell me about the 80s-era 30, 47, and 62?

On 11/8/2017 at 4:45 PM, V3112 said:

Hi,

I am working on a project related to Metro routes. I noticed in 80s-era Metro system maps that there were routes 30, 47 and 62 (different from the later routes 30 and 62). I was trying to dig up some information on those routes, but could not find any. Could anyone please tell me about the 80s-era 30, 47, and 62?

Somebody on this forum has the PDF version of THIS brochure from 1983.  It lists all the routes at that time.  However, I lost mine in a hard drive crash and I didn't have the drive backed up. :( Does anybody here still have it as I'd sure like to get it again.

I can't remember what the 47 and 62 did at that time but I think the 30 was still "Ballard-U."  Back when Metro first took over, they used the old Seattle Transit route designations (for internal purposes) which were traditionally nicknamed rather than numerated.  However, by 1983, the transition to using numbers for all routes was underway and in place by then from what I can recall.

The 30 when I worked it in back in the mid-70s was, as mentioned, called "Ballard-U" where the western terminus was at NW 54th and 32nd NW where the current 44 terminal is located.  The 30 followed what the 44 currently does but continued on 45th down the viaduct continuing out to Laurelhurst.  It looped around Laurelhurst similar to what the school route 995 does now and it was the primary route serving the Orthopedic Hospital (Seattle Children's) as it continued out to the Laurlhurst loop on 45th.  Since it was a "live loop" (travel was in one direction) there would most likely be passengers on the bus at the terminal during the short layover in a residential neighborhood.

In the 1970s after Metro took over, the 30 was run out of North Seattle Station (5th and Republican across the street from the Center where the Gates Foundation is currently located)  ...it would later be re-named "Mercer Base" when Metro began the process of establishing their own nomenclature.  "North Seattle Station" was a Seattle Transit System designation.  Metro used the Seattle Transit terms for the first three or four years.  

On the route 30 or "Ballard-U" back then, they primarily used 100s but it wasn't unusual to have a 200 or 500 operating the 30.  I actually remember working it once with a brand new AMG ...kind of neat as everybody else had 100s and I had a brand new 1100!  The relief point was at 45th and Stone Way.

I hope somebody can find that map from 1983 as I'd sure like to have a copy of it again.  It will also answer your question about the 47 and 62.

Again, thanks for letting me reminisce.  As always, my memory might not be totally accurate but I like to force myself to keep trying to jog it as I can really feel it slipping away more and more as the years pass.

edit:  Oh, I missed where you said that you actually were viewing maps from back then.  So possibly you have that brochure I'm referring to.  If so, I guess it won't help you but I still would like to have it  ...please post if you do have the PDF or it may have been in a png image. 

2nd edit:  I think I mentioned this in another post once before a few years ago but the route 30 was the first weekday rush-hour route I worked when getting out of training (but the very first day out of class was a Sunday and I worked what was called the "octopus" which was an amalgamation of about a dozen routes designated as one route-system for the purpose of run cuts).  The 100 I was driving broke down west of Ballard  ...almost to the terminal but along Market street somewhere.  We didn't have radios on the 100s so the procedure was to find a landline and call the radio room.  When I finally found a telephone and called the dispatcher (dispatchers were the supervisors working the radio  ...later, under Metro, the term "dispatcher" was assigned to the supervisor working the window at the barn).  Being new and frazzled when breaking down the first day on the job, I told the dispatcher that I was "3 Ballard" and gave the location.  After checking his records, he asks in a confused voice "you're 3-Ballard???"  I responded yes "3 Ballard" and gave the coach number.  He then says "ooooooooooh! No, you're 3-Ballard-U !!"  You see,  the route designated as "Ballard" was, I think, the 18 that went up 24th NW.  I was kind of embarrassed to make that mistake ...funny how that sticks in my memory.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2017 at 4:45 PM, V3112 said:

Hi,

After 1978, the 30 Ballard-Laurelhurst (Ballard-U) was reconfigured to no longer serve Ballard. By the 90s, at least, the western terminal became Seattle Pacific University, with select peak trips extended to Central Magnolia via Nickerson. Weekends and nights, the route terminated in the U District, becoming a Laurelhurst shuttle. Eliminated Sept 1998, I believe.

The 47, I believe was a peak only Express between the U District and Beacon Hill??? via Columbian Way? It only ran a few trips and mostly duplicated the 48. Gone in Sept 96 or Feb 97, I think.

The 62 was a long time low frequency route between Ballard and Northgate with a midday extension to Magnolia. Eliminated Sept 1998, replaced by an extended route 75. The Magnolia section was replaced by the 31. The 62 through routed to the 68 at Northgate and despite the low frequency of both routes, some trips had loads on them and artics were assigned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As usual, northwesterner, your recollections are fascinating and amazingly detailed.  I'm always impressed.  This is the kind of useful information the OP obviously was looking for and not my incoherent rambling.  I always appreciate your contributions here and they invariably set off a light bulb in my head that prompts me to say "yeah, now I remember that!"  ...or at least I remember some of it as most of what you relate is new to me and very educational.  I always appreciate and look forward to your posts.   

• Like 2

I was hoping the conversation would go the way of "the route stayed the same until the 90s..." but alas, routes changed. 

For anyone who is doing research on routes in the late 90s until now, The Wayback Machine may help.  You can view archived webpages by knowing the URL.  There's no search, and sometimes URLs aren't saved or don't work, but if you're patient (or super curious) it works well.  For the older stuff, try starting with Metro's old domain: metrokc.gov

http://web.archive.org/web/19980101000000*/transit.metrokc.gov

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Atomic Taco said:

I was hoping the conversation would go the way of "the route stayed the same until the 90s..." but alas, routes changed. 

For anyone who is doing research on routes in the late 90s until now, The Wayback Machine may help.  You can view archived webpages by knowing the URL.  There's no search, and sometimes URLs aren't saved or don't work, but if you're patient (or super curious) it works well.  For the older stuff, try starting with Metro's old domain: metrokc.gov

http://web.archive.org/web/19980101000000*/transit.metrokc.gov

I always have had such a difficult time with using that wayback function.  I may have to call upon you for some guidance with it the next time I attempt to research something. 

And, thanks to you, I was able to retrieve that brochure from 1983.  You posted it back about 3 1/2 years ago in this thread that you secured from Oran Viriyincy's flickr page.  

If anybody wishes to download it:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7322/14138471753_1e53b2fce9_o_d.jpg

It's in a JPEG so can be enlarged to easily read the routes and headways on both weekdays and week-ends. 

It doesn't show the 30 going to SPU but was it numbered something else and through-routed? --I don't think so.  I do recall it going to SPU but have no idea exactly when that happened but have no reason to doubt northwesterner as by the time it was extended to SPU,  East Base had opened.   It seems to me that the 30 was run out of East Base for a shake-up or two when it did go to SPU  ...northwesterner? 

No route 47 shown in 1983.

Route 62 appears to be exactly as northwesterner mentions as it's listed as "Magnolia - Ballard - Northgate" with one hour headways during the weekdays. 

Thanks again for that, Mr. Taco, and also for everything else you've helped me with with through the years here on the forum! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roamer said:

It doesn't show the 30 going to SPU but was it numbered something else and through-routed? --I don't think so.  I do recall it going to SPU but have no idea exactly when that happened but have no reason to doubt northwesterner as by the time it was extended to SPU,  East Base had opened.   It seems to me that the 30 was run out of East Base for a shake-up or two when it did go to SPU  ...northwesterner? 

No route 47 shown in 1983.

Route 62 appears to be exactly as northwesterner mentions as it's listed as "Magnolia - Ballard - Northgate" with one hour headways during the weekdays. 

Spoke to a senior operator last night briefly... his recollection is after the 43 became a route (1978/79ish) the 30 turned back at 46th and Midvale (there is a triangle block there, just west of the former McDonalds at 45/Stone Way) during the day. Nights/weekends, it was a Laurelhurst shuttle. He believes the 30 was extended to SPU somewhere around 1990.

He didn't remember the 47, but did mention the 77 which is on this map. We believe it was renumbered in the 1980s, at some point.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roamer said:

They must really need those new artics as I noticed several ST 9500s on eastside Metro routes tonight on the tracker.

I also noticed a wide variety of 9500's this evening on the Eastside routes. It seems like South, however, needs a lot of the 8100's because now according to tracker and onebusaway, I'm not seeing many of the South D60's out anymore. South likely will probably transfer a majority of their 8100's to East (I'm assuming that East will have some of the 8100's in the 8100-8149 batch and the 8150-8199 batch). The highest of the first batch in service I've seen is 8135, and 8186 is the highest I've seen in the other batch. It's kind of weird how two batches of 8100's were split up (made at different New Flyer plants).

Also, slightly off subject, (I also might have mentioned this before), but what's the story with D60LF 2891? I usually ride D60LF's on the AM (morning) 11 runs, but that is the only D60LF I've never been on. Is that one retired? I know it was involved in some kind of collision, but I wonder if that will be back in service. I also noticed that 6958 has not been out for a long time. Where is DE60LFR 6958? I hope it doesn't end up being retired like 2663.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, roamer said:

What am I looking at?  ...circled

8160.jpe

Looks to me like a reflection of a room that has a projector mounted from the ceiling.  This is on 4th Ave S right where 2nd Ave Ext S meets so that would make it Union Station. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Atomic Taco said:

Looks to me like a reflection of a room that has a projector mounted from the ceiling.  This is on 4th Ave S right where 2nd Ave Ext S meets so that would make it Union Station. 

Ah, okay, thanks Taco.  Seems weird but only to me, I guess.