King County Metro - Seattle, Washington

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As promised, here's a shot from inside Bellevue Base  

Yes, when I saw that on the news this morning, I was stunned.  It's just devastating news.  Zack was truly a bus and train aficionado. I have always enjoyed his contributions here on the forum.  I'v

Waiting to embark on a long Journey to Seattle from Anniston Alabama 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

I'm going to Seattle, and going transit fanning. What buses should I avoid

The broken down ones

3 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

and what should I look out for?

The cool ones.

What are you looking for?

• Haha 1
Just now, Atomic Taco said:

The broken down ones

The cool ones.

What are you looking for?

I have absoulutely no idea. I heard some things good about the older Gilligs, and they aren't available in Canada. Any recommendations?

1 minute ago, buizel10 said:

I have absoulutely no idea. I heard some things good about the older Gilligs, and they aren't available in Canada. Any recommendations?

I'm not from Seattle but I am pretty familiar with the system. What I recommend are the Phantoms and D60's. Best place to look for Phantoms is at Bellevue Transit Center. The best place for D60's is in North Seattle in my opinion. I've come with these conclusions by using http://pugetsound.onebusaway.org/where/standard/

1 minute ago, buizel10 said:

we got rid of all of ours back in 2010

still salty

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/King_County_Metro Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, Atomic Taco said:

Route 8 also has the D60s, though the 8100s are much more common now.

Rt 8 does not have the amount of D60's as other routes. 8100's also aren't in service yet, I think you meant 8000's

A little while back, Metro had purchased a few of Everett Transit's outgoing D60s, since they were essentially piggybacked models identical to the fleet Metro is currently running. 

The Everett D60s sat in the lots until they were supposedly scrapped recently. 

Since they weren't reused for service, what missing parts did they need to scavenge from those coaches? 

40 minutes ago, anonymous guy said:

On coach 4500. In the middle articulation joint, there is one standing room pillar and one foldable two person seat. Other 4500s have two standing room pillars to hold onto. 

Is this a design change or just a prototype oddity?

Just a prototype oddity, 3600, 3700 & 3701,1100, 6000, and 4300 & 4301 all kinda have prototype oddities to them, 3600 has an older style "Stop Request" sign in the rear that's similar to what the D60s had, 3700 & 3701 both have a different seating layout in the rear as well as the traditional air-powered doors, 1100 has a place where a second "STOP" light would have been put, 6000 is the only DE60LFA to have a rear window of course, and then 4300 & 4301 both have smaller coach ID numbers on their windows instead of the larger font.

• Like 2
On 8/2/2017 at 1:01 PM, EvergreenRailfan said:

I noticed that extra buses are being added to the 50 instead of shuttle buses to Seafair.  I was wondering what the reason is? Will they add a bigger bus like an 8000, or more 3700's.

I wonder if it's part of the cuts Seafair is making this year pertaining to the hydro race.  They will have no live TV coverage of the races this year for the first time since I can remember. but just a recap on KIRO in the early evening.  I'm guessing that Seafair has to chip in money to help fund the expensive TV coverage along with the sponsors and the TV station itself.   I grew up in Seattle and remember as a kid watching the races both at the lake and some years on TV.  At that time, we only had a black-and-white TV but the hydro race was on, I think, all three stations ...or at least two of them as I remember my father switching back and forth between stations.  The races were much more prominent in those days back in the 1950s and 60s.  

I have to believe Seafair had to pay KCM quite a bit for the customized shuttle service.  By adding extra service to an existing fixed route, I'm sure the costs will be much less.   I can remember working one of the extra shuttles one hot 90+ degree August Sunday and it was miserable hauling around standing room only crowds on a jammed-packed 1400-series artic with just as many crying kids as there were drunk rowdies  ...and no air conditioned buses in those days.  

I'm almost certain that articulated 60-footers will be run on the route 50 over the week-end.   Is there enough layover room at the terminals to accommodate all those artics?  I don't know.  I also don't know if they'll run the extra service all the way out to the terminal in West Seattle or turn it back somewhere in SODO.   

Hopefully somebody who knows more than I do or a Metro employee will chime in who can correct my guesses. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, pnwelevator said:

Just a prototype oddity, 3600, 3700 & 3701,1100, 6000, and 4300 & 4301 all kinda have prototype oddities to them, 3600 has an older style "Stop Request" sign in the rear that's similar to what the D60s had, 3700 & 3701 both have a different seating layout in the rear as well as the traditional air-powered doors, 1100 has a place where a second "STOP" light would have been put, 6000 is the only DE60LFA to have a rear window of course, and then 4300 & 4301 both have smaller coach ID numbers on their windows instead of the larger font.

Also if I recall correctly, they tested out some sort of LED lighting setup on 3600 and 3601

Edit: never mind I was wrong - the LED lights were tested on 3676

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zheistand/7291059962

10 hours ago, anonymous guy said:

Also if I recall correctly, they tested out some sort of LED lighting setup on 3600 and 3601

Edit: never mind I was wrong - the LED lights were tested on 3676

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zheistand/7291059962

3691 also had LED interior lighting installed as well, albeit different than 3676.

Just some more footage from the MEHVA 4th of July Trolley Tour, this time with the AMG Metropolitan 1008 "Gremlin" Which as you'll see, came off wire TWICE towards the end of the video, enjoy everyone! :) 

• Like 3
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, EvergreenRailfan said:

I noticed that extra buses are being added to the 50 instead of shuttle buses to Seafair.  I was wondering what the reason is? Will they add a bigger bus like an 8000, or more 3700's.

The Safety Department has a cow whenever anything bigger than a 3700 runs on the 50 because larger coaches infringe upon the NB left turn lane on California Av when turning right from EB Admiral Wy.

• Like 1

There are two buses that are in the fleet that I have not seen for at least half a year or longer. That is coaches 6958, which caught on fire. Does anyone know if that will return to service anytime soon? Also, 2891, a Ryerson D60LF, is the only D60LF that I have not seen on the road in service for at least 7-9 months. I wonder what's up with that coach. 

For CPTDB Wiki, 2496 was put back into service as I've seen it on onebusaway, but on the wiki page, it says it's retired. I'm also wondering if 1101 and 1180 are still active or retired. They still say they're active, but haven't seen those for a while. 

8 hours ago, Metro6774 said:

There are two buses that are in the fleet that I have not seen for at least half a year or longer. That is coaches 6958, which caught on fire. Does anyone know if that will return to service anytime soon? Also, 2891, a Ryerson D60LF, is the only D60LF that I have not seen on the road in service for at least 7-9 months. I wonder what's up with that coach. 

For CPTDB Wiki, 2496 was put back into service as I've seen it on onebusaway, but on the wiki page, it says it's retired. I'm also wondering if 1101 and 1180 are still active or retired. They still say they're active, but haven't seen those for a while. 

I'll make those changes.

Also, I noticed someone changed the model number of the "baby phantoms" to C18A096N4. Is it true that those coaches were 96 inches wide and not the standard 102 inches?

49 minutes ago, rickycourtney said:

I'll make those changes.

Also, I noticed someone changed the model number of the "baby phantoms" to C18A096N4. Is it true that those coaches were 96 inches wide and not the standard 102 inches?

Yep, the Baby Phantom's are narrower than the 35' and 40' versions, so the 30 foot ones are 96 inches wide while the others are 102. 

On 8/14/2017 at 10:34 PM, Metro6774 said:

Also, 2891, a Ryerson D60LF, is the only D60LF that I have not seen on the road in service for at least 7-9 months. I wonder what's up with that coach. 

I think it was wreck damaged...

On 8/15/2017 at 7:27 AM, rickycourtney said:

Correct...

1 minute ago, roamer said:

I notice the Proterras haven't been running this week  (or maybe it's even been longer  ...been ill so haven't been watching things that closely).  40-foot Phantoms are being used instead.  Why is this?

It looks as if the charging station at Eastgate is offline there have been crews all week trying to fix it

• Like 1