King County Metro - Seattle, Washington

Orion VIII

It was a demonstrator vehicle from 1974 from Bern, Switzerland. It served in Vancouver and Seattle prior to entering service in Bern. Apparently when it returned to Switzerland it caught fire in 1976, was rebuilt and finally retired in 2006 in Bern.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dancingfatpotato said:

Beware coach 1108 broken arm for front slot of bike rack, when I got to my stop my bike was barely hanging on by the rims in the groove...

Why are you telling us?

Did you call Metro customer service? Did you let the driver know so he can write it up?

• Like 3

Must say today was well spent getting to ride some Seattle Transit/Metro History over to Ballard today, first was riding the very rugged 77 year old Twin Coach, 643, and heading back was on the AMG, 1008, both still ride & operate very smoothly although the AMG came off the wires 3 times, the first two times were within two minutes of each other, Happy Independence Day/Canada Day to everyone! I'll have videos of these up sometime this month! 

My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3Oe3iiSKuRoMSjQJ79EFFA

643.JPG

1008.JPG

• Like 4

Great shots from the trolley excursion.

I find it interesting that they've decided to retain a Gillig Phantom trolley. In the past, MEHVA decided to retain a MAN SG220, but not keep a SG310 and MAN trolley due to fleet similarity. In this case, MEHVA has both a diesel Phantom and a trolley for their excursions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anonymous guy said:

Great shots from the trolley excursion.

I find it interesting that they've decided to retain a Gillig Phantom trolley. In the past, MEHVA decided to retain a MAN SG220, but not keep a SG310 and MAN trolley due to fleet similarity. In this case, MEHVA has both a diesel Phantom and a trolley for their excursions.

Well the Phantom Trolleys are pretty much a "One of a Kind" Bus so I'm sure that's why they kept it, and I still wonder to this day why the MAN SG-310 Trolley (4020) got sent to Illinois for their railway museum, especially when yes they have both a diesel & trolley Phantom, as well as both versions of the AMGs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pnwelevator said:

Well the Phantom Trolleys are pretty much a "One of a Kind" Bus so I'm sure that's why they kept it, and I still wonder to this day why the MAN SG-310 Trolley (4020) got sent to Illinois for their railway museum, especially when yes they have both a diesel & trolley Phantom, as well as both versions of the AMGs.

Due to the one-off nature of the Phantom trolleys, I believe the Illinois Railway Museum also got gifted a Phantom trolley from Metro as well.

6 hours ago, pnwelevator said:

Because the 4000s were a maintenance nightmare and MEHVA keeping one in operating condition was a bit of a daunting task.

IRM reports that 4020 has run well for them for a decade, but they also have indoor storage. 

12 hours ago, dancingfatpotato said:

Is route 342 from Bellevue Base or north? 

I saw a BB xcelsior 40 7238 as well as a D40LF 3686.

It is split between both bases.

• Like 2

Remove if Unnecessary, 

This afternoon I took the 3:30 pm 235 from Kirkland to Bellevue, however when I was boarding the bus I noticed an extremely strong fume smell, gasoline or diesel, and an even stronger smell inside the bus. When we got to Bellevue Transit center another passenger notified the driver, however it seems as if he did nothing. I said this because I was waiting for the 226 in front of BTC bay for 235, I could still smell the strong odor coming from the bus. 

Bus is 7215.

Any reasons for this and why the bus driver did not fix the issue? 

Just now, dancingfatpotato said:

Would the coach continue along the route until the end of the day to be fixed by a mechanic at the base? 

If directed by the coordinator, yes.  Possible reasons for not taking immediate action include:

• Based on the information the coordinator had, the coordinator deemed the issue not urgent enough for a coach change
  • The coordinator ordered a coach change at a terminal or later stop
  • There were no available mechanics/equipment for a coach change

5 hours ago, dancingfatpotato said:

Remove if Unnecessary, 

This afternoon I took the 3:30 pm 235 from Kirkland to Bellevue, however when I was boarding the bus I noticed an extremely strong fume smell, gasoline or diesel, and an even stronger smell inside the bus. When we got to Bellevue Transit center another passenger notified the driver, however it seems as if he did nothing. I said this because I was waiting for the 226 in front of BTC bay for 235, I could still smell the strong odor coming from the bus. 

Bus is 7215.

Any reasons for this and why the bus driver did not fix the issue? 

Again, just like northwestern said, why are you telling us?

Either tell the operator or report it to Metro customer service.

• 2 weeks later...

SDOT has finished the Roosevelt RapidRide Locally Preferred Alternative report. It's an interesting read for transit wonks.

Highlights:

• The line will only run to the future Roosevelt Link station, not to the Northgate Transit Center.
  • The line will be an expansion of the trolleybus system
  • No new trolleybuses will be purchased for the line, instead some of Metro's existing trolleybuses will be repainted red.
  • There will be bus-only lanes in the most congested areas, but buses will travel in general purpose lanes for the majority of the route.

I believe the LPA plan was approved by the transportation committee last night, now it goes to the full Seattle city council.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2017 at 4:33 PM, anonymous guy said:

Saw 6948 on the 128, a route usually reserved for 40ft coaches. Any particular reason, or is this just a tripper?

I know of at least one tripper on the 128 that operates with a 60 footer. It’s timed to correspond with the dismissal of West Seattle High. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pnwelevator said:

What time did you see that bus around, and where were you when you saw it?

6 hours ago, rickycourtney said:

I know of at least one tripper on the 128 that operates with a 60 footer. It’s timed to correspond with the dismissal of West Seattle High. 

It was around 3-4PM in West Seattle. If they do 60 foot runs to correspond with school outings, then it makes sense. (it is summer, though...)