King County Metro - Seattle, Washington

Orion VIII

Regarding the XT60s, I wonder why Metro and NFI didn't go for distributed traction with ZF's AVE 130 wheel-hub motor axles. BYD has similar wheel-hub motor axles on their buses. Four electric motors (one each wheel center and rear axle) would give better traction and acceleration. Really, the whole trolley project seems to go too far with bespoke components when they could've coupled BAE E-series drive (component sharing with the XDE40/60s), ZF AVE 130 axles (still off-the-shelf component) and then of course Vozzloh trolley poles power supply instead of the diesel generator.

It's not that simple to just to just stick poles on a BAE drive. Trolleybuses and their electronics have to be able to contend with a variety of line voltages. I believe the specs in Edmonton were anywhere from 420V - 650V DC. The diesel generator on a hybrid bus and battery pack provide a constant voltage which doesn't vary like the line voltage supplied to a trolleybus.

Regarding the XT60s, I wonder why Metro and NFI didn't go for distributed traction with ZF's AVE 130 wheel-hub motor axles.

Cost? The routes KC Metro uses the articulated trolleybuses on don't need to climb any steep grades, so it probably wasn't worth it.

the whole trolley project seems to go too far with bespoke components

How so? The trolleybuses are built on the Xcelsior body (therefore sharing many components with other coaches in Metro's fleet), the propulsion system and auxiliary power unit are built by Vossloh Kiepe (who builds them for trolleybuses around the world) and the motors are from Skoda (another major trolleybus builder).

I really don't know how much more standardized these buses could be.

It's not that simple to just to just stick poles on a BAE drive.

But it is something that BAE advertises that you can do. I'm not sure any agency has done it and I can't imagine it would be cheap.

But it is something that BAE advertises that you can do. I'm not sure any agency has done it and I can't imagine it would be cheap.

The adaptability of the HybriDrive was one of the major selling points - I have to wonder how efficient a trolley-equipped HybriDrive would compare to the standard Kiepe/Skoda solution for North American trolley applications.

It doesn't look like BAE has ever demonstrated a trolley running HybriDrive themselves.

6998 was running on ST route 542 today:

24996893234_393c346475_k.jpg

Also, is it just me or do some buses, at least the 6900s, have a different font on their destination signs lately? (I've noticed it on many if not all of the 6900s I've seen lately and also maybe some other buses, and you can see what I'm referring to in this picture.)

Also, is it just me or do some buses, at least the 6900s, have a different font on their destination signs lately? (I've noticed it on many if not all of the 6900s I've seen lately and also maybe some other buses, and you can see what I'm referring to in this picture.)

They are changing the Route numbers to a bold version on many routes.

I do not approve.

PT Cruiser crashed into the back of XT60 4503 on Capital Hill this afternoon.

Yikes... I would have been on that bus if not for a miscommunication. And why does it always seem to be new buses getting into accidents? ?

They are changing the Route numbers to a bold version on many routes.

I do not approve.

I think it's more than just the route numbers (To Terminal definitely seems different, as do some destinations), and it seems to be specific buses rather than specific routes...

I think it's more than just the route numbers (To Terminal definitely seems different, as do some destinations), and it seems to be specific buses rather than specific routes...

"To Terminal" is different on the South Base coaches (taller letters on the front sign and bold letters on the number signs). I haven't seen this on the Central, Atlantic or Ryerson coaches.

The 118 and 119 northbound shuttles also have the bold numbers and taller letters.

"To Terminal" is different on the South Base coaches (taller letters on the front sign and bold letters on the number signs). I haven't seen this on the Central, Atlantic or Ryerson coaches.

You will see the different signage on all coaches over the next couple of weeks. I've only noticed it on South, some East, and just a couple North and Ryerson coaches so far. It just takes time to update the programming of the signage on the entire fleet. So by shakeup, all coaches will be updated and have all the new signage for the new or revised routes

Cost? The routes KC Metro uses the articulated trolleybuses on don't need to climb any steep grades, so it probably wasn't worth it.

How so? The trolleybuses are built on the Xcelsior body (therefore sharing many components with other coaches in Metro's fleet), the propulsion system and auxiliary power unit are built by Vossloh Kiepe (who builds them for trolleybuses around the world) and the motors are from Skoda (another major trolleybus builder).

I didn't think about the Skoda motors part. That's a good point. So forget my "bespoke" comment. For the XT60s, seems like four powered axles (and individual wheel traction/stability control with that) would alleviate the one issue with artics, which is stability under adverse road conditions. Still, as you point out, price likely made it a non-starter for them.

Caught coach 8012 doing some testing at Pioneer Square Station.

VWGE6t5.jpg

As if to compensate for the temporary loss of 4503, 4506 and 4508 have entered service today.

In total, 4501, 3 (presumably temporarily out of service), 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9 have entered service.

4506 was already in service yesterday.

I should know since I rode it:

1my6BIO.jpg

4506 was already in service yesterday.

I should know since I rode it:

Oops, I guess I didn't check yesterday like I thought I had.

Caught coach 8012 doing some testing at Pioneer Square Station.

Anyone know when the 8000s are entering service? It seems like it should be soon if they're already all the way to 8012...