King County Metro - Seattle, Washington

Orion VIII

is the lack of transverse (aisle facing) seating in the rear and middle sections is normal Xcelsior buses, or was that something special for these trolleybuses? Either way I like the change, riding sideways on steep hills can make for some awkward situations with the person in the next seat.

The way they worded it made it sound more like it was a ploy to get people to cram in the back. Compared to an Orion or a D40LF, there are definitely more seats.

Great post Tim.

Question for everyone... is the lack of transverse (aisle facing) seating in the rear and middle sections is normal Xcelsior buses, or was that something special for these trolleybuses? Either way I like the change, riding sideways on steep hills can make for some awkward situations with the person in the next seat.

Normal for xcelsiors, CT has the same seating arrangement in the back on theirs.

Great post Tim.

Question for everyone... is the lack of transverse (aisle facing) seating in the rear and middle sections is normal Xcelsior buses, or was that something special for these trolleybuses? Either way I like the change, riding sideways on steep hills can make for some awkward situations with the person in the next seat.

Only diff between the Xcelsior ETBs and the hybrid equivalents (seating layout wise) is the removal of the two seats near the rear door as ETB bus trips are usually shorter and have more people exiting more frequently. The 35' hybrids are the same as the 40' ones except they lose the second to last row of 2x2 seating

---

Inferred from the ether.

Great post Tim.

I don't think the back seat has to face forward on Xcelsior buses because on TransLink XDE60 the read seats are transverse.

Maybe that is reason why they choosed the forward facing seats on the trolleys buses because of the steep hills.

Got 3707 out on the 246 tonight, it was quite late (probably due to traffic and several traffic lights out in the area) but every minute of me waiting in the cold was worth it.

15592771777_5035a9ea6e_c.jpg

KCM New Flyer XDE35 #3707 by SolDuc Photography, on Flickr

Also, it looks like OBA can't find any trace of 3703 and 3704 anymore. But all 3702, 3705 and 3707 were out operating today.

This is the first time I've noticed that both units on the 246 have an XDE35, 3702 and 3705 ...images on the tracker taken just before 11:00 am.

Indeed! I saw 3705 on my commute this morning, and when I checked I realized that both of the buses were XDE35s. Needless to say I got some pictures tonight, which means that I've now seen and taken a picture of each XDE35 that has been in service.

OBA seems to be getting some weird data from the XDE35s so far. It showed 3702 as ridiculously late (25+ minutes) while it was actually on time. So all those late 269s the other day must've been on time (or close to it) but not according to OBA.

3702 panned:

15760238696_b430272e4c_c.jpg

KCM New Flyer XDE35 #3705 by SolDuc Photography, on Flickr

3705 stopped with Mount Baker out in the distance - you still have to point it out to see it.

15785488142_303e837ef2_c.jpg

Another one of 3705:

15782050401_532d0fc8fa_c.jpg

Great post Tim.

It's only due to where the rear axel and rear door are located. In the Xcelsiors (40') it just so happens that the space around the rear axel allows for more forward facing seats than older/alternative bus models

---

Inferred from the ether.

It's only due to where the rear axel and rear door are located. In the Xcelsiors (40') it just so happens that the space around the rear axel allows for more forward facing seats than older/alternative bus models

---

Inferred from the ether.

Uhhhhh.... no.

The previous generation of New Flyer low floors could be spec'd with two rows of forward facing seats + 2 longitudinal seats over the rear axle. Nothing has changed in this regard.

Took a trip into Seattle for the first time yesterday to do some shopping. Damn nice city you guys got. Certainly a breath of fresh air to see just articulated buses and Orions (Tired of the sight of translink haha). I also noticed you guys have rails in the road but no tram? I started shopping with my mother around the china town area (S King and S 12th ave area) then made our way to down town. I also assume no trolleys on the weekends as well? Was hoping to see some gilligs and bredas. All in all I would love to come back again. Such a nice atmosphere down town too. Much more quieter on a weekend than Vancouver. Here's a couple shots off the phone of 2641 making a right off Jackson onto 12th.

15677842607_4a2eb8dde5.jpgKing County New Flyer DE60LF #2641 by Translink fan, on Flickr

15243954163_666448330a.jpgKing County New Flyer DE60LF #2641 by Translink fan, on Flickr

I also noticed you guys have rails in the road but no tram?

There's some for the former Waterfront Streetcar (service ended in late 2005 and no indication as to when or even if it will be restored) and the First Hill Streetcar (service won't begin until early next year).

I also assume no trolleys on the weekends as well?

Occasionally there is trolleybus service on weekends, but much of the time there isn't.

In the test, they appear to be using catchers similar to the ones at Convention Place when the trolley uses the automatic pole raise system.

Metro kept referring to those catchers as "pie pans." They mentioned that they are considering installing them on the wire during construction projects and possibly near areas known for dewirements. (They have a good supply of them still up on the wire at Convention Place!)

They're at Atlantic Base and look very old and worn and are probably leftover training pans from the Breda dual mode days.

They were actually so old and worn that each time the poles were deployed into them and the driver pulled away, the poles came off the wire.

I was impressed with was just how fast and how gently those poles get pulled down during a dewirement. It takes just about a second for the poles to come halfway down and another second or so for the poles to be rotated back to center. Kiepe seems to have put a lot of thought into how to avoid poles tearing down the overhead wires.

Also when the operator stows the poles it's all automatic, the poles are pulled down between those red guides you see in Tim's pictures, the black hooks pop out of those red guides and the lines slack allowing the poles to float up into the hooks. The same process happens in reverse when the poles are automatically deployed up into the "pie pans."

They were actually so old and worn that each time the poles were deployed into them and the driver pulled away, the poles came off the wire.

All the wire in Atlantic Base is currently active.

If those pans were so old and worn that they were causing the poles to come off the wire, every bus that drove through the pans would lose their poles. Logically, this is not the case.

It may be that the shoes on the ends of the poles are not swiveling into position inside the pans and notching (or seated) properly onto the wire. If the are just making contact but in there cockeyed, the poles will come off once the pans are gone. This happened, on occasion, with the old Ohio Brass poles on the Bredas in the tunnel. Bus would get power, start to pull forward, and poles would fly off.

<snip>
This happened, on occasion, with the old Ohio Brass poles on the Bredas in the tunnel. Bus would get power, start to pull forward, and poles would fly off.

I remember that happening to me more than "on occasion" hah! :P I always thought it was something I was doing wrong as I was working the board at the time and didn't go through the tunnel on a regular basis.

Re: XDE35

Noticed this afternoon that they're putting the 3700 's on trippers that normally have 40-footers ...a tripper on 271 and another on 277. Last week they had one on an "early-quit" relief run (night run) on the 208. Yesterday there was one on an early-quit on the 236/238 that did trips later in the evening on 226/241. I guess they're wanting to spread them around for all to see and experience before assigning them to just replace the 1100 's.