King County Metro - Seattle, Washington

Orion VIII

Whew! ...all of that is way above my head. I'm still tinkering with it but nothing you've said seems to be making sense. I sure do appreciate your taking the time to post it, though. Thank you.

edit: okay, figured out how to track an individual coach. Is there a way to track a series of consecutive coach numbers like you pointed out with 3700 through 3759? ...or do you have to enter each one individually? Thanks again!!

ETA: 3705 is currently on route 269 (as of 4:02 pm on Monday 10-27).

Had a quick look at Flickr just after coming home and realized that XDE35s were finally in service, thanks to Atomic Taco! Jumped on my bike and caught 3704 at the top of the hill.

15476727397_de34309021_c.jpg

KCM New Flyer XDE35 #3704 by SolDuc Photography, on Flickr

15663521022_886d6357e0_c.jpg

15476549468_39c3c1f60d_c.jpg

Jumped on my bike and caught 3704 at the top of the hill.

Nice shot!

Is that a different bike rack they're using? ...kind of resembles the ones that Community Transit uses.

Yes. Metro and Sound Transit are swithing out the Veloporter 3 bike racks for the Apex 3 as funding permits. The Veloporter racks were terrible: not very sturdy, hard to extend the arm, and prone to breakage. Sportworks discontinued the Veloporter 3 but still makes the 2. http://t.co/SD10pY7QJ6

Is that a different bike rack they're using? ...kind of resembles the ones that Community Transit uses.

I've seen a couple coaches with that rack but I'm not exactly sure which ones. One was a Breda Trolley and the other was an artic out of East Base.

It's the Sportworks Apex 3 (the classic metro 3-bike rack is the Veloporter 3) and is in use on all CT's ST buses and some oddball metro coaches here and there. Sportworks no longer makes the Veloporter so KCM had to go with the Apex. And from a biker's perspective the Apex is much simpler to use than the Veloporter.

Nice shot!

Thanks!

Thank you, Mr. anonymous! Yes, I can see that now. I posted the question before the photos were posted ...cool looking headlights.

And thank you Mssrs. Ty, Taco, and Duc for the explanation on the bike racks!

It's gonna be neat to see the XDE 35 and 40 's filter into service on the Eastside in the upcoming months. The Phantoms were such a mainstay but their time has come to be retired and make way for new techology.

...does anyone have a photo of the instrument panel on the KCM XDE' s? It seems to me when I saw a photo of the prototype, it had digital gauges? Did they follow through with that option?

ETA: SolDuc, my concentration was focused so much on the bus itself, I didn't realize what a fantastic photo that is taken from up there in Somerset. Nice work, indeed!

It's the Sportworks Apex 3 (the classic metro 3-bike rack is the Veloporter 3) and is in use on all CT's ST buses and some oddball metro coaches here and there. Sportworks no longer makes the Veloporter so KCM had to go with the Apex. And from a biker's perspective the Apex is much simpler to use than the Veloporter.

The Greater Cleveland RTA in Ohio is retrofitting their entire fleet with that same bike rack.

I see no XDE35 coaches out today --mid day-- when browsing through the tracker.

Several times last week and yesterday, when I did notice one in service, it was running extremely late. Yesterday, the one on the route 200 (3702) was running 20-50 minutes late whenever I would glance at its position on OBA. On Monday a week ago (presumably the first day in service for an XDE35), the same lateness was observed. For it to be running that late on such a short route was puzzling. Another on the 269 last week was running over 40 minutes late on each trip when all the other units on the 269 were essentially on time. And one on the 246 was a 20+ minutes late on one particular trip I observed.

Does anyone know of teething problems that they are going through? ...mechanical or otherwise?

ETA: it's about 6:00 pm and coach 3702 is on the 269 route. It is 101 minutes late according to OBA. The other units on the 269 are from on-time to 21 minutes late.

As some people know that Seattle Proposition 1 to fund transit service ONLY IN THE CITY has passed.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024953343_elexseattlebusesxml.html

This will break up the through routing for RapidRide C and D this makes them two different routes now and increase frequency on 49 other routes; they hope to start this in June. The RapidRide C will extend north to South Lake Union and the RapidRide D will extend south to Pioneer Square.

As some people know that Seattle Proposition 1 to fund transit service ONLY IN THE CITY has passed.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024953343_elexseattlebusesxml.html

This will break up the through routing for RapidRide C and D this makes them two different routes now and increase frequency on 49 other routes; they hope to start this in June. The RapidRide C will extend north to South Lake Union and the RapidRide D will extend south to Pioneer Square.

They *want* to break up the C and D, but honestly, where are we going to get the coaches for that? A lot of ideas seem good on paper, but we need more buses, which won't happen overnight.