^^ Sweet! Thanks for the update. Were the Novas delivered when the 2003 New Flyers retired before the Pan Am Games back in July??

I didn't see the Novas in August or on Thanksgiving, but I might have missed them on Thanksgiving. It's possible 734 and 735 were retired befre the Novas arrived since there is a reduced service to the college/university in the summer. When the last high floors were retired they were only used on College/University runs, and NBT didn't use them after April but hung onto them until new buses arrived.

I realize that I have not actually confirmed that 784 is in service. I've only seen 785, but I swear that I have seen enough Novas that one of them must have been 784.

No North Bay Transit buses are equipped with racks. Racks can be added after the fact, although the integration isn't ususally as nice as those that are installed when the bus is in productions and the bumper has the cutouts or mounting system built in. The costs I have heard in the past is approximately $500 per bus, but this ovbiously depends on a number of factors including the mounting option.

It doesn't matter if it's nice or not when bike raks are installed. It's just that how many people do actually using it. Sadly the City doesn't have any support or sponsors to have people using transit with cyclist fans around!

It's also that the public works people love their package tape to tape things for information and news while it looks sloppy!

It doesn't matter if it's nice or not when bike raks are installed. It's just that how many people do actually using it. Sadly the City doesn't have any support or sponsors to have people using transit with cyclist fans around!

It's also that the public works people love their package tape to tape things for information and news while it looks sloppy!

If you build it, they will come.

As someone ho used to live in Callander, I used to bike to the Pinewood and hop the bus, taking the bike with me - YEAR ROUND. Start putting them on the buses that have the most ridership. Eventually, they will be used.

On a recent trip to North Bay both Novas 784 and 785 were in service. The Novas have a light blue strip compared to the dark blue strip on the rest of the fleet,

• Like 1

I noticed the Wiki was updated to indicate that North Bay had leased Orion VII demonstrator PT2 from MTB. I found an article on this recently:

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/one-bus-in-one-bus-out-991092

The article indicates that the vehicle was converted to straight diesel, and was purchased outright, not leased.

In addition, bus 766 is retired form service, but remains on site at the public works yard awaiting disposal.

• Like 2

A few updates from North Bay:

There are now six D40LF buses sitting in the boneyard area of the public works yard. I can't confirm numbers, but assuming they are the oldest units in the fleet, they could be 765 and 766, which are confirmed retired on the wiki, and 764, 767, 768 and 769, which are listed as active on the wiki. That would leave 22 active buses, while NBT has confirmed they are aiming for a 21 vehicle fleet, so my fleet number guesses could be off.

North Bay's Para Bus has a new operator. For over a decade and as long as I can recall, this service was operated by PHARA, the Physically Handicapped Adults' Rehabilitation Association. PHARA indicated that they would not continue their agreement in April, and it expired July 31st, 2018. PHARA was responsible for operations only, with maintenance and ownership remaining with the city.

https://www.nugget.ca/2018/05/18/city-seeking-new-parabus-operator/

As a new contractor was not ready in time, Stock Transportation assumed operations of the system using school bus drivers until a new contract was awarded. The winning bid was Voyago. From the city's website:

"REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL # 2018-37

Request For Proposals For Operation of Specialized Transit Services

Awarded to Voyago of 573 Admiral Court London, ON N5V 4L3 for the amount of 2,681,611.88 on September 5, 2018
HST extra"

https://www.nugget.ca/news/local-news/para-bus-contract-awarded

The Para buses now have "Operated by Voyago" decals on them.

In addition, Para Bus now has two new low-floor Ram Promaster based vans, as mentioned in the first article linked above. Solar powered bus shelters, mentioned in the first article above have also been installed. Finally, the conventional fleet is being equipped with SEON CCTV cameras, purchased through the Metrolinx TPI and funded by PTIF funds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2019 at 10:55 AM, SudburyTransitGuy said:

Just love how the transit going lately any new news on it 

Other than some people upset over the new Voyago system, I havent heard anything on the radio.

I decided to check out what the transit system was like in North Bay. I got a few photos of 770 (2008 D40LF) and I went for a ride on two of the XD40’s from the transit terminal to Northgate Shopping Centre. There will be a video uploaded to my YouTube channel sometime tonight. 

DB84E62B-DC2D-4596-8660-EBEDAC84BA05.jpeg

A8B32E31-74BE-431C-82E3-53C91BF4DBA0.jpeg

3EC14B0A-70A5-4055-A877-1AB742D1E5CA.jpeg

93821A48-AD06-47D0-80DD-A3A42F54D207.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BlueBirdVision said:

I decided to check out what the transit system was like in North Bay. I got a few photos of 770 (2008 D40LF) and I went for a ride on two of the XD40’s from the transit terminal to Northgate Shopping Centre. There will be a video uploaded to my YouTube channel sometime tonight. 

DB84E62B-DC2D-4596-8660-EBEDAC84BA05.jpeg

A8B32E31-74BE-431C-82E3-53C91BF4DBA0.jpeg

3EC14B0A-70A5-4055-A877-1AB742D1E5CA.jpeg

93821A48-AD06-47D0-80DD-A3A42F54D207.jpeg

Did you see the Orion VII in service?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TTC 9701 said:

Did you see the Orion VII in service?

I did not see the Orion VII in service unfortunately. I was only in North Bay for about 2 hours today. I will be going back to North Bay in a few weeks depending how busy I am.

I was in North Bay over the holidays and noticed a few changes.

Buses 792 and 793 are in service. These are Nova LFS units like their other recent purchases, I assume from the Metrolinx Transit Purchasing Initiative. They have the new design for the fan on the drivers side of the engine compartment, like OC Transpo's newest units. These new buses also feature multi-colour destination signs and rear destination signs, both firsts for the North Bay fleet.

Units 772 and 773 have been retired, and are confirmed to be sitting in the city "boneyard" with plates removed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was talking to an operator the other day, apparently the Orion VII has been in and out of the shop constantly due to engine problems. I also asked about North Bay still having raised floor buses, and apparently the last one left the city a decade ago. So the odds that we still have a fishbowl bus are impossible.

And for all those interested in knowing when they order buses, it's normally 2 in the spring, 2 in the summer and 2 in the fall. But they will sometimes not get any depending on the condition of the older buses. But from the looks of it, 770 and 774 might be next to go. Since I have seen multiple instances on 770 where the led light for front won't illuminate. It may have been refurbished but it still needs repair quite often. And for 774, the back door has had multiple instances of the back door not opening.

I hope you guys find this information useful.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SyphixTV said:

I also asked about North Bay still having raised floor buses, and apparently the last one left the city a decade ago. So the odds that we still have a fishbowl bus are impossible.

All their high floor buses have been gone for about 8 years or more.