North Bay Transit

NBtransitrider

• 2 weeks later...
A couple images of a brand new D40LF for North Bay are attached. These were captured at the NFI plant in Winnipeg on October 20, 2010.

A bit of a disappointment... I was really hoping we'd see a D40LFR on the streets here soon... oh well, this one will likely be numbered 776, 774 and 775 arrived mid summer. Interesting they didn't put any exterior ads on the sides of the new busses, but they left them on the back, I'm not sure why.

A bit of a disappointment...

I find that blue stripe paint job a big disappointment. They need to come up with a new look or something that will at least attract the customers! One could easily mistake that bus for a city snow plow that's painted the same color.

The one thing I don't understand is why nobody seems capable of modifying the destination displays on the busses, it feels like the opinion is they're factory set and should not be changed. Issues like route numbers being displayed twice (1S 1S Marshall is one) or placard being placed in the window for the College Overload service rather than using the Luminators are ridiculous. I can see why the rollsigns may be too much work to change on busses that are at the end of their lifespan, but the new ones sure seem like they're being neglected. Nobody seems to want to try and make the service look good at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Saw 2 new XD40s sitting in the yard today, but they had been moved by the time I got in and out of Home Depot. They had the blue stripe on them but no other markings. It's about time we saw some busses that look interesting, I'm getting sick of the squareness of the D40LFs that make up most of the fleet. I believe this also marks the end of High Floor busses in North Bay, but there may be 1 classic remaining, I'm not sure how many we have. These should be numbered 778 and 779.

Saw 2 new XD40s sitting in the yard today, but they had been moved by the time I lot in and out of Home Depot. They had the blue stripe on them but no other markings. It's about time we saw some busses that look interesting, I'm getting sick of the squareness of the D40LFs that make up most of the fleet. I believe this also marks the end of High Floor busses in North Bay, but there may be 1 classic remaining, I'm not sure how many we have. These should be numbered 778 and 779.

Not likely. There was a lot more then 2 high floors last time I was up there. There should be classics for a while yet.

Obviously it's not being used on buses, since you've posted that the new Xcelsiors have the blue stripe, however have you seen or heard anything about "Go Green On Bus Transit" that I had received promotional material for? I got the impression that North Bay Transit was being rebranded.

Not likely. There was a lot more then 2 high floors last time I was up there. There should be classics for a while yet.

Yea, I didn't add the numbers up right. It's always hard to tell how many we have, because you don't see them as often as the New Flyers. 3 High Floors are accessible right now, and 5 are not, so I assume they will be the first to go. We have enough New Flyers to cover most normal routes, but when they run overload busses up to the campus they are usually classics. This will certainly restrict the non accessible high floors we have to use as spares and overload busses now, and will bring us cloase to full accessibility.

Obviously it's not being used on buses, since you've posted that the new Xcelsiors have the blue stripe, however have you seen or heard anything about "Go Green On Bus Transit" that I had received promotional material for? I got the impression that North Bay Transit was being rebranded.

Ha! Yea, it was a promotional campaign that ran 2009-2010. Two busses had ads and a vinyl stripe across the top, and I believe that one of the busses has a vinyl stripe still on it. They targeted students with free 5 pass promotional cards and maps as well as bags and pens. I know the company that did the capmaign for them, and got to ride in the bus around town that was taking photos that day.

• 2 months later...

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3574902

City transit plans public barbecue for Clean Air Day, Accessibility Week

By Nugget Staff

Updated 3 days ago

The city’s transit service is celebrating its 40th anniversary, and it’s clearing the air about its buses.

Its newest accessible bus, the New Flyer Excelsior, will be on display, along with a demonstration of the electric cooling system installed in these buses as the service reduces harmful emissions and fuel consumption, the city said in a news release.

The city currently has 18 low-floor buses, and will seek council’s approval for two more of these accessible buses this year.

The Municipal Accessibility Awareness Committee and North Bay Transit are holding a public barbecue Wednesday at the Oak Street bus station to celebrate Clean Air Day and Accessibility Week.

There will be information booths from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. from local organizations that provide services for people with disabilities.

This sounds like a good opportunity to get some pictures of the new busses and see the electric cooling system. With the arrival of the Excelsiors all of the LED diaplays have been reprogrammed and are now much more useful, displaying the busses next route as well as the one it is currently on, detours, express busses, and which route some of the busses will take.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to upload it!

Looks Good! Still missing some reflective striping below the blue band.

It appears that they have finally gotten their act together and found a way to modify the destination signs, something I have been waiting for for years. I have noticed some experimentation over the past few weeks with different formats for the differnet routes.

The first change was that the the route number (3N, 4E, 1S etc.) now appears at the far left of the display, rather than centered. The College Route is now the College/University, alternating between the two. At this time the destination signs also cycled through in a pattern showing the next route (all North Bay's routes are interlined), such as 3N SKI CLUB / NEXT ROUTE / PINEWOOD. There are also new signs for DOWNTOWN EXPRESS and DOWNTOWN on some busses, and as well the Campus Special now includes "via ALGONQUIN" or "via MAIN STREET" depending on the time of day. As a bus geek it made me incredibly happy when a bus driving by displayed the sign 3N SKI CLUB / DETOUR ON ROUTE / EXPECT DELAYS due to a minor road closure.

Further changes have included simplifying the next route indication so it occurs all in one phase, with NEXT ROUTE in the upper left and the route in the lower right at the same time. I have also seen the busses displaying their current route followed by "Out of Service at Terminal". Most recently the Pinewood and North Highway Routes have a yellow Square with an H in it at the end of the sign, as they serve the hospital and the Hornell has an airplane for airport service. Overall these changes seem to show that someone is trying to figure out the best way to use these assets (now that rollsigns are gone from all but one or two busses) and this makes the system much more user friendly.

Pics from the Transit Day:

DSC05401.JPG

Entrance:

DSC05440.JPG

Codes for the GenFare Box:

DSC05413.JPG

Looking Back:

DSC05404.JPG

Looking Forwards:

DSC05408.JPG

Drivers Area:

DSC05418.JPG

Mirror:

DSC05431.JPG

The rear cap has a place for the nonexistant destination sign:

DSC05433.JPG

Thanks for the photo!

North Bay never used rear dest. sign and they never will. It's also that North Bay will never buy Auto Announcer cause they have drivers remembering the street name and they are fine calling out!

My biggest pet peeve about the system is whenever they put bulletin board inside the bus, a letter size with different paper colour, they tape around with packing tape around the storage box behind the driver and it looks quite messy!