North Bay Transit

NBtransitrider

Thanks for the photo!

North Bay never used rear dest. sign and they never will. It's also that North Bay will never buy Auto Announcer cause they have drivers remembering the street name and they are fine calling out!

My biggest pet peeve about the system is whenever they put bulletin board inside the bus, a letter size with different paper colour, they tape around with packing tape around the storage box behind the driver and it looks quite messy!

A couple of years ago they attached a plate below all of the bus stop signs with the next stop name (usually a cross street, but sometimes a destination, such as MTO for the provincial government building). The drivers will sometimes read the stops over the PA, but sometimes you have to ask.

Oh God, the packing tape. That stuff looks like crap. The XD 40s haven't been on the streets for 2 months and they're already covered in it. Surely there must be some sort or permanent solution, all that's posted is system information and news. Even the permanent signs (Please do not talk to driver while bus is in motion) are just taped on.

Bus 778, a new XD 40:

DSC05407.JPG

DSC05410.JPG

Oh God, the packing tape. That stuff looks like crap. The XD 40s haven't been on the streets for 2 months and they're already covered in it. Surely there must be some sort or permanent solution, all that's posted is system information and news. Even the permanent signs (Please do not talk to driver while bus is in motion) are just taped on.

The problem is that North Bay Transit work together with Public Works, there's no one from the Transit office who can work as a separate department, let alone from someone at Public Works will do a simple, cheap print work!

The problem is that North Bay Transit work together with Public Works, there's no one from the Transit office who can work as a separate department, let alone from someone at Public Works will do a simple, cheap print work!

Although Transit is integrated into the existing public works structure (hence busses being the 700 series, other departments like water and roads are 400 and 500) they do have their own manager and staff who evidently have been trying to make improvements, a great example of which is the new destination signs. Someone has actually been experimenting with the signs, likely as they learn the ins and outs of the Luminator IPS software. You would think something like a piece of plexiglass screwed or velcroed into place would be a simple solution short of trying to source document holders to hold the regulations and fare tables. Don't get me started on bike racks though.

Although Transit is integrated into the existing public works structure (hence busses being the 700 series, other departments like water and roads are 400 and 500) they do have their own manager and staff who evidently have been trying to make improvements, a great example of which is the new destination signs. Someone has actually been experimenting with the signs, likely as they learn the ins and outs of the Luminator IPS software. You would think something like a piece of plexiglass screwed or velcroed into place would be a simple solution short of trying to source document holders to hold the regulations and fare tables. Don't get me started on bike racks though.

A larger poster with plexiglass to slide in the ads, a plastic print commercial for the ad rack interior or a printed sticker will do the job but this is North Bay, whatever money is available for them to do.

I noticed about no bike racks on the entire fleet, the city does have bike trails but are there people willing to take their bike onto transit bus? Unless the demands are low, there's no point for them to have it!

A larger poster with plexiglass to slide in the ads, a plastic print commercial for the ad rack interior or a printed sticker will do the job but this is North Bay, whatever money is available for them to do.

I noticed about no bike racks on the entire fleet, the city does have bike trails but are there people willing to take their bike onto transit bus? Unless the demands are low, there's no point for them to have it!

On the topic of Money (it's really the only topic isn't it?) I have to wonder what will happen once the classics are gone, likely to happen soon at the current rate of buying 2 new low floors a year. The oldest busses in the fleet would then be 2003 D40LFs, which I would imagine would not be due for replacement for a few more years. This would mean no new capital would be needed for vehicle purchases, making me wonder of we will then see improvements elsewhere in the system, such as signage or bike racks. A couple of years ago I heard that bike racks were the most requested feature for transit, and for a fleet of this size it can't be that expensive to bolt them on, especially because there are only two types of busses in operation.

Also, I think the 10N Campus Special has been renumbered the 2N, since 2 is currently unused. I'll confirm, but if it's true it means that there is now absolutley no reasoning behind the current numbering system other than the directional indicator, which IMO isn't that useful anyways. We have 4 routes sharing numbers (1S, 1N, 5E, 5N, 6N, 6S, 7N, 7S) and only 2 routes not sharing numbers (3N & 4E), and none of the numbers and letters indicate interlining or any useful information to the rider other than a loose cardinal direction. The only time the route numbers actually come into play seems to be Google Maps.

• 1 month later...

After a quick visit in North Bay a few days ago, it seems to be the City doesn't have the money to support the transit! And the transit is really under cash-strapped for many years! It's lucky enough their post-secondary that keeps their business running!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Bumping an old thread ... according to a fleet list obtained from North Bay Transit, only two Classics 760 and 725 (ex-Connecticut) remain active. The Orion V has also been retired.

Would this list also have VINs and License Plates? If yes, can you post the list as an attachment or send it to me via email so I can add the info to the wiki?

Would this list also have VINs and License Plates? If yes, can you post the list as an attachment or send it to me via email so I can add the info to the wiki?

Unfortuately, no. The list was a fleet survey conducted by CUTA. It contained fleet numbers, make, model, year, seating capacity, etc., but did not contain VINs or licence plate numbers.

• 3 months later...

Unfortuately, no. The list was a fleet survey conducted by CUTA. It contained fleet numbers, make, model, year, seating capacity, etc., but did not contain VINs or licence plate numbers.

I uploaded photos of the VINs of to buses in posts 306 and 423 of the Xcelsior thread.

Anyways, NBT had another open house this year with bus 781 out, as well as some promotional materials. Mixed in with the Cummins brochures was a pocket size "Driver's Handbook" which probably wasn't meant to be given away but I grabbed it anyways.

Most interesting though was the new list of destination sign codes. This time last year they started reprogramming the signs and changing the way they use them, fixing one of my biggest gripes about NBT. They really have gone all out on the PR codes now! I do find it odd the way they have it setup, with the next routes being PR codes and the Overloads being Destination "B" but it works OK in practice. Hopefully the ASA system in the future will handle the signs automatically, some of the drivers still don't do it correctly now. I have also seen other PR signs in use, welcoming visitors to hockey tournaments being held in the city etc. I find this quite funny because most other TAs are removing even the lost basic PR codes like holiday greetings for visibility reasons, and NBT is now using them for the most frivolous things.

Anyways, here is a pic of the list, gracefully packing taped to the bulkhead above the drivers' seat:

20130605_130715.jpg

• 10 months later...

North Bay Transit added two more XD40s to their fleet at the end of 2013, 782 and 783. 783 is currently wrapped for Canadore College with no external numbers, replacing 734's wrap for the college when it was involved in a collision. This marks the end of high floor buses in North Bay, with Classics 725 and 760 remaining on site but not in use, to be disposed of at the end of the summer. The fleet is now entirely New Flyer, a mix of D40LFs and XD40s. 734 is currently in service but lacks any decals or reflective stripes except fleet numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

734 and 735 D40LF? or you are talking about the last 2 Classics remaining in the fleet?

The two classics are still in the fleet, but not in active service and will be retired soon (see post #63). When two more XD40s arrive next year, 734 and 735 will be the next to go based on a 12 year lifespan. I have heard from Transit staff that they don't expect to keep buses for more than 12 years, but are hoping to get something for them on the used market, especially since 734 was recently in a collision and had most of it's left side and rear replaced. I'm pretty sure I saw it in the yard at Arnprior near the end of April, and it's back in service without markings now. My guess is the city staff don't have the expertise to do refurbishments in house since Transit buses are maintained along with the rest of the city trucks and equipment. It's easier and cheaper to sell the bus and buy new through the standing order with New Flyer than it is to contract refurishments of 2 buses a year.

The two classics are still in the fleet, but not in active service and will be retired soon (see post #63). When two more XD40s arrive next year, 734 and 735 will be the next to go based on a 12 year lifespan. I have heard from Transit staff that they don't expect to keep buses for more than 12 years, but are hoping to get something for them on the used market, especially since 734 was recently in a colission and had most of it's left side and rear replaced. I'm pretty sure I saw it in the yard at Arnprior near the end of April, and it's back in service without markings now. My guess is the city staff don't have the expertise to do refurbishments in house since Transit buses are maintained along with the rest of the city trucks and equipment. It's easier and cheaper to sell the bus and buy new through the standing order with New Flyer than it is to contract refurishments of 2 buses a year.

they really should switch to Nova for stainless steel body then..............surprising they are not planning to keep their D40LF longer

North Bay doesn't have the money to tender a contract, they seem to be happy with the Ontario Consortium. Sadly still, no bike racks!

Now, did those Consortium order came with Allison? They stopped ordering Voith after NBT ordered their own.

• 8 months later...

Seems there's a change in the wind....rumour is this year we will take delivery of 2 brand new Nova's. Nothing confirmed but that's the word going around right now. Would be exciting to see those in our fleet :)

That has been confirmed. The Metrolinx Purchasing Cooperative contract went to Nova. I wondered if North Bay would drop out of the Metrolinx deal since it's only recently become an all New Flyer fleet, but apparently not. From what I have heard, 734 and 735 will be retired when the Novas arrive, keeping a 12 year lifespan. With new routes and the tender for CAD/AVL having just closed, it should be an interesting year.

• 7 months later...
City making buses more accessible

By GORD YOUNG, The Nugget

Thursday, October 22, 2015 4:51:24 EDT PM

The city is spending more than $400,000 to equip its buses with an automated vehicle location and next stop annunciation system.

The system, which will provide transit users with an overhead audio announcement and visual display of the next stop along their route, is required to meet provincial accessibility requirements that will take effect as of Jan. 1, 2017

Council approved the award of a contract Monday to Consat Canada Incorporated for the new system in the amount of $408,633 plus HST.

The total contract includes $21,383 annually for a five-year service and cellular data plan.

The system will also allow transit riders to access real-time estimated arrivals for stops and bus locations online. The system is also expected to

streamline communication and incident reporting between transit dispatch

and operators.

Onboard computer units are expected to be installed on 22 city buses. And

the automated vehicle location portion of the system, which has capacity for future requirements, can be deployed on other vehicles such as snowplows, heavy equipment, and para-buses.

The audio and visual announcements are required under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.

The act was adopted in 2005, with the goal of making Ontario fully accessible by 2025. The legislation is being phased in with standards for customer service, transportation, environment and communications.

http://www.nugget.ca/2015/10/22/city-making-buses-more-accessible

This was tendered over a year ago, and I know they wanted to get it done earlier thie year. I'm unaware of any other cities using this system.

Do the buses have any equipped with bike racks? Can they be put on after the fact? Any idea what the cost would be?

No North Bay Transit buses are equipped with racks. Racks can be added after the fact, although the integration isn't ususally as nice as those that are installed when the bus is in productions and the bumper has the cutouts or mounting system built in. The costs I have heard in the past is approximately $500 per bus, but this ovbiously depends on a number of factors including the mounting option.

An another North Bay Transit note, buses 784 and 785 are now in service, replacing 734 and 735. The new buses are North Bay's first Novas, from the Metrolinx consortium. They feature a slightly different livery than the existing buses in the fleet, with the blue stripe much lighter in colour. All of the routes were also updated this summer, simplifying the system and removing the letter - number route identifiers, so with the excepton of routes 1A and 1B all routes are nmbered only now, and there are no repeating numbers. This old system is a holdover from when rollsigns were still in use.