'MY CRUISE TO ALASKA VIA VANCOUVER'

Mr. Linsky

I just returned from a wonderful 10 day cruise from Los Angeles with stops at Vancouver, BC and on to Juneau, Skagway, Glacia Bay and Ketchikan in Alaska aboard the m/s Zuiderdam of the Holland America Line.

The scenery was breathtaking topped by both the Glacias and the city of Vancouver which is magnificent (I'd live there in a New York minute!).

But, the most impressive part of the trip was my discovery of a treasuretrove of operating GM 'New Look' buses in Alaska owned by Royal Hyway Tours of Anchorage (a company that is now in the final throws of it's sale to Holland America Line).

The buses (pictured below) are mostly ex Golden Gate Bridge Transportation District out of San Francisco and have been completely refurbished, run beautifully and are kept in excellent condition.

Interestingly, they are stored for the winters in Seattle and shipped by barge each summer to the Alaskan hamlets most of which are only available by sea or air.

Pictures one through five are of Royal Hyway # 830 taken at Ketchikan.

Pictures six through eight are of MCI D4500 tour bus in Vancouver and two trolley buses in that city.

Picture number nine is a replica of a 1920's coach operated by the Skagway Street Car Company.

And, picture number 10 is just something to cool you off!

Enjoy,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0326-1.jpg

IMG_0341-1.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Awesome. Very, very nice. And a couple of trolleys....nice touch. Myself and a handful of close friends will be going to Vancouver for a week next month.

A dear friend of mine and her family, kids and grandkidlets, are going to be in Vancouver at the same time and then they are going on an Alaskan Cruise departing from Vancouver.

I am excited to be going to Vancouver, I haven't been out of province for 20 years. So it's about time. I want to relocate to Vancouver, so I'm hoping it is as beautiful to live in as it looks.

Thank you for sharing your photos. I'm all pumped up to go on this trip now :)

• 3 weeks later...
What happened the one with the skyline rooftop version?

Retired as far as I know. John Day in Vancouver had a few of them for awhile and sold two and just has one left now for his company - www.nostalgiatours.com . A friend of mine who drove for them for a couple of summers mentioned that it's just the Ex-GGT units left in service up there now.

• 1 month later...

Nice photos! Glad you enjoyed the Alaskan cruise. Hope you had a chance to ride one of our Vancouver trolley buses. A couple weeks ago I did a side trip to Skagway when I was visiting the Yukon. To my surprise, I also saw a GM Fishbowl doing shuttle service by the White Pass train station!! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer_901/3715903298

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer_901/3715094031

Cheers,

Rob

Nice photos! Glad you enjoyed the Alaskan cruise. Hope you had a chance to ride one of our Vancouver trolley buses. A couple weeks ago I did a side trip to Skagway when I was visiting the Yukon. To my surprise, I also saw a GM Fishbowl doing shuttle service by the White Pass train station!! :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer_901/3715903298

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer_901/3715094031

Cheers,

Rob

Great pictures on your part as well - the New Looks are sensational! - we had lunch in the 1890's saloon in Skagway a couple of blocks from the ship - the food was horrible, but who goes for the food?

Take a look at my Alaskan Fishbowls in the beginning of this thread - same as yours.

Can't wait to go back for more photos.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY U.S.A.

Great pictures on your part as well - the New Looks are sensational! - we had lunch in the 1890's saloon in Skagway a couple of blocks from the ship - the food was horrible, but who goes for the food?

Take a look at my Alaskan Fishbowls in the beginning of this thread - same as yours.

Can't wait to go back for more photos.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY U.S.A.

I was wondering how the food was like at the Red Onion Saloon. Now I don't regret walking further up the street to get my dinner. :mellow:

Glad you were able to get some interior shots. The guy pulled away just before I had a chance to ask him about taking inside shots. Managed to catch the guy as he was coming down Broadway. Just noticed that there's a slight variation in our photos. Your bus has all full size windows that open. Mine has full size windows only at the front & back end that open. Interesting...

Someone on this group did mention something about John Day (one of our Transit Museum members) owning a Glasstop Fishbowl. Had a chance to see it last year on a fan trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer_901/2957086843

Like you, I'd love to go back to Alaska & do some more exploring.

Rob

I have some shots of John Day's sightseeing Fishbowl - some when a few of us met up with him, and then I was lucky enough to see it on the road on Granville at Broadway when I was there again weeks later.