Waterloo Region Rapid Transit

There's definitely kinks to be worked out. Yesterday they already had delays during midday. Cars were not evenly spaced.

It seems Conestoga had way more people lined up for ION than Fairway. It was weird. They had to do the 100 person limit per car lineup at Conestoga whereas everyone was free to board the first ION that came at Fairway.

2 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

There's definitely kinks to be worked out. Yesterday they already had delays during midday. Cars were not evenly spaced.

The delays were caused by an incident downtown that resulted in the line having to short-turn from the north and south short of downtown. Apparently it took a couple of hours to sort everything out.

Dan

There was also a problem with the Conestoga interlocking on Saturday afternoon.Ā  Switch wouldn't lock.Ā  We sat waiting to enter Conestoga for about 30 minutes before we went back to Northfield on the Conestoga-bound track.Ā  Problem cleared while we were all waiting for an iXpress bus.Ā  Customer service staff updated us after our train left so we crush-loaded the next one.

I forgot to look at this last weekend when I was there but does anyone know if GRT finished building that parking lot at Fairway @ Wilson for transit users?

I saw articles about this being built last year but as of Oct 2018, Google Streetview still shows that area as under construction.

This came under importance as I read on the news that transit users parked at Conestoga Mall parking were handed out warnings for parking there just to ride ION.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Student use has significantly improved LRT ridership, as expected. My morning commute increased about 300% from 7 users to around 30 departing Conestoga Mall. I doubt the ridership of the entire network 300% or even 100%, but I wouldn't be surprised if ridership is now above 20K PPD. Hopefully the region provides hard data soon.Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

Some exciting news:Ā 

This morning, the train was travelling above 50 km/h. My speedometer read a maximum speed of 68km/h, meaning that the line likely now has ATP in full or at least working operation (assuming the speedometer wasn't giving me some completely wrong readings, but it was evident enough that the train was travelling significantly faster than normal).

2 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

Some exciting news:Ā 

This morning, the train was travelling above 50 km/h. My speedometer read a maximum speed of 68km/h, meaning that the line likely now has ATP in full or at least working operation (assuming the speedometer wasn't giving me some completely wrong readings, but it was evident enough that the train was travelling significantly faster than normal).

There are aome areas that the speed limit is over 50... And never trust your phone app. They always give out a false reading.

4 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

There are aome areas that the speed limit is over 50... And never trust your phone app. They always give out a false reading.

Yes, but so far trains have operated with a maximum speed of 50 in sections with higher limits. The stated reason was that line-of-sight operating rules restrict them to 50km/h, and ATP is required for faster operation. Even if phone GPS receivers aren't perfect, reading 68km/h pretty strongly suggests they're operating over 50 now.Ā SoĀ either they've fixed ATP, or changed line-of-sight operating rules (less likely).

An update: I couldn't really check things numerous times this morning, but I've ridden the Waterloo spur section a few more times this afternoon (after the climate strike). Of the 6 trips I took, only one operated above 60 km/h. While trains my have permission to travel faster, I'm assuming trains are not running at the faster speeds to avoid scheduling conflicts. If this is the case, we won't see any real changes to the line's operation until Christmas.Ā 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

Anyone know what's with the slow orders on the iON at all switch points, but especially the freight switches?

How it is in Vancouver and on most trains is that they slow down to reduce possible derailmentsĀ 

27 minutes ago, Thomasw said:

How it is in Vancouver and on most trains is that they slow down to reduce possible derailmentsĀ 

But the trains weren't initially running like this, and trains aren't taking the divergent path. There's really no reason they should be going 5 km/h over them that I know of, especially for a line this new.Ā 

17 hours ago, Transit 20 said:

breaking news i beenĀ told from contacts at ion there is 2 more trains on order first one is due Feb or march 2020.

Considering the lead time for these things, there's no way that this is "breaking news". They would have had to have ordered them over a year ago.

Dan