Waterloo Region Rapid Transit

• 2 weeks later...

Someone has posted a video of the new cars being tested in Kingston.

With the number of completed cars, it will be interesting to see how many get ship at the same time.

There is a Regional Council meeting tonight and they should get an update on the cars.

<

>

• Like 3

Next round of public consultations scheduled for Stage 2 ION
Posted on Friday November 03, 2017

Waterloo Region – The Region of Waterloo is continuing public consultation on Stage 2 ION, light rail transit (LRT) from Kitchener to Cambridge.

At the last round of Public Consultation Centres (PCCs), a preliminary preferred route was presented for public feedback. During and after the last PCC, the Region received many comments from the public, including a number of suggested alternative routes. The Region will be further considering localized route alternatives and refinements to the preliminary preferred route.

Two upcoming PCCs offer an opportunity for residents to provide feedback on refinement options to the preliminary preferred route:

Tuesday, November 21: 2 - 8 p.m., Cambridge City Hall – Bowman Room, 50 Dickson Street, Cambridge

Tuesday, November 28: 4 - 8 p.m., Preston Memorial Auditorium, 1458 Hamilton Street, Cambridge

Following this PCC, the project team will review all feedback received and any new information will be considered. Using input from the technical team, stakeholders and the public, the project team will evaluate the additional route alternatives and a preferred route will then be identified. The project team anticipates presenting the findings of this evaluation at the next round of public consultation in spring 2018.

ION bus rapid transit (BRT) service began in September 2015 and is the first step to providing LRT in Cambridge. Stage 2 ION will see the ION BRT service between Kitchener and Cambridge converted to LRT, creating a continuous LRT network across the region’s three urban centres.

For more information on Stage 2 ION, visit www.stage2ION.ca, or please contact:

Matthew O’Neil, Acting Project Manager, Rapid Transit, 519-575-4400 ext. 3462 or via email MONeil@regionofwaterloo.ca

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, shivers said:

This got sent to me. I'm sure some folks would appreciate this. No idea how the poster got the unit number, but hey, okay.

Regional Staff told council that 504 would be arriving before 503, and while there is no fleet number decals on them when they ship it's very easy to guess the fleet number based on the numbering scheme being used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, soo8513 said:

spotted at Peel on CN Halton Sub @ 09:55 today - GEXR #432 eastbound with a Waterloo LRT car.  Return to sender? Going to Kingston?

Car 501 being returned to Bombardier - presumably Kingston - to be fully fitted-out.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

I wonder if GRT could lease the Talents from OC Transpo if Bombardier can't deliver? (I know they've been put up for sale)

Would they be safe? They may be okay for the former WCR spur line but as for the tight curves onto the street-running sections I doubt they would fit comfortably. Especially because the trains were not designed for Ion's infrastructure, as opposed to the NJT River Line where the Stadler GTW DMUs were specifically adapted for the tight track curves in Camden (such as at the 3 minute mark in this video where you see the train navigating a curve similar to that of Ion's).

13 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

I wonder if GRT could lease the Talents from OC Transpo if Bombardier can't deliver? (I know they've been put up for sale)

Bombardier has 8 or 9 cars completed at Milhaven, with the remaining cars just about done. I don't think that their delivery is going to be a problem.

Dan