Waterloo Region Rapid Transit

• 3 months later...

The Record

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4391166-top-lrt-bid-comes-in-under-budget/

5 minutes ago | Vote 0 0

Top LRT bid comes in under budget

LRT

Philip Walker, Record staff file photo

A prototype of an LRT train shown in front of Waterloo Region headquarters in July of 2013. The leading construction bid to build the LRT, announced Friday afternoon, has come in at $532 million - under the $545 million the region said it budgeted.

By Paige Desmond

WATERLOO REGION — The leading construction bid to build the Region of Waterloo's rapid transit project has come in millions under budget.‎

Officials revealed Friday the top of three bids on the light rail system came in at $532 million to build — under the $545 million the region says it budgeted.

"This is a very significant milestone because the last building block is now in place barring any unforeseen issues in terms of the approval of this on Tuesday…we will know who our partner is for the next 30 years," Coun. Jim Wideman said.

Councillors will vote Tuesday whether to approve the bid.

The actual bid is for $593 million.

About $61 million isn't included in the light rail budget. It comes from other project budgets — for example for planned roadwork being done as part of the project and infrastructure upgrades in conjunction with local cities.

A $10-million contingency is included in the region's construction budget.

The top bid comes from GrandLinq, a construction consortium made up of contractors including:

•Plenary Group Canada Ltd.

•Meridiam Infrastructure Waterloo LRT ULC

•Aecon Construction and Materials Ltd.

•Aecon Concessions

•Peter Kiewit Infrastructure Corp.

•Kiewit Canada Development Corp.

•Mass Electric Construction Canada Co.

•Keolis SA

•Keolis Canada Inc.

•AECOM Canada Ltd.

•STV Canada Construction Inc.

•CIBC World Markets Inc.

pdesmond@therecord.com

Twitter: @DesmondRecord

• 3 weeks later...

I had seen an article in the Kitchener edition of Metro News and on the front page has news about legal action may delay the start of LRT. I've been having problems with linking URLs from one site to another. So, if anyone here can shed any light into it, thanks in advance.

EDIT: http://metronews.ca/news/kitchener/974021/legal-action-could-stallwaterloo-region-light-rail-project/

Another case of a petition trying to stop a region's needs. What has me perplexed is that if this is an issue fo what people want versus ignoring what the region really needs, it will be a big step backwards in public transportation.

I had seen an article in the Kitchener edition of Metro News and on the front page has news about legal action may delay the start of LRT. I've been having problems with linking URLs from one site to another. So, if anyone here can shed any light into it, thanks in advance.

There is a legal challenge on extremely shaky grounds (that the project does not conform to the Region's official plan, and that it didn't conduct a proper EA) which is trying to get the project stopped. It is going for a hearing tomorrow, where it could be dismissed or it could get an injunction to allow more time to investigate the issue. If that happened, it would affect the timelines.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...