Mauricie Transit Discussion

Classic 9401

Hmmm, so how will STM get the funding as Eldorado isn't local made?

With Girardin's partnership with Blue Bird, I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out a deal in getting the UltraLF on the Quebec market.

Anyways, nice looking ElDorado buses. Does anyone know what else is in their current fleet?

With Girardin's partnership with Blue Bird, I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out a deal in getting the UltraLF on the Quebec market.

Anyways, nice looking ElDorado buses. Does anyone know what else is in their current fleet?

In Shawinigan's fleet? There's 3 ElDorado's now with 3 Classics serving as a reserve fleet incase the El Dorado's crap out.. The classics RTCS kept are rumored to be 1005, 1010 and another unknown unit. Both 1005 and 1010 are 1990 MCI Classics.

Good point Adrian I didn't think about Blue Bird. Although my personal preference would be El Dorado, frankly. I think the STM may also be interested in copying RTC's experience with the Technobus Gulliver for use on the 515 or similar lines.

In short - anything but Nova!

I think the STM may also be interested in copying RTC's experience with the Technobus Gulliver for use on the 515 or similar lines.

I hope not! If the STM plan to flush down the toilet a considerable amount of money for each mini or midibus (i'm not sure, but i think a Gulliver costs 625 000$), I pray for them to make a wise choice and select a model that won't stall at every inch due to lack of battery or mechanical problems...

But let me say that these buses are quite «cute», intriguing and allow elderly people to get around easily around the Old town, hence their success.

These lithium batteries and the Diesel heather are not green at all, as there is really no rider (or almost) caring about the «ecolo» branding. Thus, a diesel mini would have done the job and the RTC would have encountered 99.5% less problems on its Old town circuit.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
I'm going to be making a trip up to Quebec City in a few weeks and I was wondering if either the STTR or the RTCS has a paper bus map or user's guide. The last guide I have for the STTR is a "1ere edition" I picked up back in 2004.

STTR have Riders Guide, RTC also have system maps.

STTR have Riders Guide, RTC also have system maps.

STTR guide is now at his fifth edition, for Shawinigan, they have maps on their website but if you want to take all bus in active service, go to the collège Shawinigan (du collège street) at :30 past the hour for 2 buses, then head down to plaza de la mauricie(in front of the Super C store, 5 minutes drive from collège) for the other two arriving at :50 and at the top of the hour

• 5 years later...

They have enough spares to compensate and other ex-RTC first gens still see service. TUM14 has been harvested as a parts bus. RTCS clearly knows how to make lemonade from the (dwindling) used bus market.

On 7/24/2016 at 8:27 AM, SMS said:

They have enough spares to compensate and other ex-RTC first gens still see service. TUM14 has been harvested as a parts bus. RTCS clearly knows how to make lemonade from the (dwindling) used bus market.

heard that they purchased those used LFS from the scrap yard instead of getting them from RTC directly, then you know how good these buses are, and how much they are paying for them.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, SMS said:

I'm surprised they went ahead with purchasing 1996 units with notorious frame issues. They must have been desperate!

How come Shawinigan's fleet is in such rough shape ? Everyone else is getting new buses but not Shawinigan. Is there a funding issue or is the town broke ?

I don't believe that they are part of the ATUQ bus consortium. Transport Urbain de la Mauricie operates the contract for RTCS meaning that they are quite similar to a CIT. Since they don't have the advantage of buying brand new LFS buses from Nova at a heavily subsidized cost, and because ridership seems to have plummeted, they would rather buy smaller buses or rely on the used bus market for rolling stock. Shawinigan's glory days are in the past, there isn't much employment there anymore :( from the aluminum and pulp and paper mills.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

It looks as if Saguenay, Sherbrooke and Trois-Rivières will be adopting the Multi card based on the technology developed by the STO.  Trois-Rivière's card has not been rolled out yet, but Saguenay's and Sherbrooke's have:

https://sts.saguenay.ca/infos-pratiques/carte-acces

https://www.sts.qc.ca/affichage.php?id=124

La carte Accès est la nouvelle carte à puce de la Société de transport du Saguenay. Cette carte électronique vous permettra de voyager à travers tout le réseau de transport en commun de façon écologique puisque des quantités importantes de papier seront éliminées. La carte vous offre la possibilité de charger tous les titres de transport mensuels ou d’en faire un PME (un portefeuille électronique). La nouvelle carte Accès remplacera le laissez-passer cartonné actuel qui ne sera plus disponible à partir de 2018.

logo   Le consortium formé des sociétés de transport de Trois-Rivières, de Sherbrooke et de Saguenay utilise la technologie développée par la société de transport de l'Outaouais d'où le nom de leur système Multi.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2017 at 9:25 AM, SMS said:

I don't know about a few but they have C9-802 for sure. It is tempting to charter it next year, considering that we know a driver at TUM.

The RTCS wiki page is hopelessly out of date. It is hoped that a wiki editor can do a cleanup. As an example, TUM-14 is still marked as active. Also, there is no evidence of TUM-18 (ex-RTL C9-802). It deserves to be said that this is the only ex-RTL bus currently active in Shawinigan. Also, it is worth noting that the bus is still running with the RTL logo! There is also an ex-Coach Canada bus there (49XX series from the ADMTL employees / econoparc shuttles) exx-NYU as made evident by the speedometer gauge in MPH.

On 2/17/2010 at 5:03 PM, stm_5307N said:

Some interesting pics were posted on the other board of the new RTCS El-Dorado's. I actually like the new livery. Since the guy who took the photos is banned from every board we know, the images were uploaded for him by someone else on the M de M. Anyways, here are the images:

It is ironic that "the guy who took the photos" (he has a name by the way) drove the Shawinigan charter for us on a purely volunteer basis. He has changed his image for the better, much more than I can say for other people.