Driver barrier/shields: In use beyond TTC?

Ed Drass

I've just checked the GTA forum for any mention of other transit agencies that have installed or are considering plastic barriers for bus drivers. Found no results for non-416 properties...

The last time I asked about this it seemed TTC was one of few properties in North America with similar plans. Is Toronto such a rough town that driver assaults are worse here?

I do recall a reference to Mississauga Transit having a few shields in place -- is that a figment?

Updates appreciated.

Ed Drass

416-922-0077 eddrass@hotmail.com

I've just checked the GTA forum for any mention of other transit agencies that have installed or are considering plastic barriers for bus drivers. Found no results for non-416 properties...

The last time I asked about this it seemed TTC was one of few properties in North America with similar plans. Is Toronto such a rough town that driver assaults are worse here?

I do recall a reference to Mississauga Transit having a few shields in place -- is that a figment?

Updates appreciated.

Ed Drass

416-922-0077 eddrass@hotmail.com

Probably what you heard about Mississauga was that all of our buses have draft doors that extend from the farebox to the wall behind the operator.

Another thing you might have heard about is a problem that several operators have had where their wallet or other items gets stolen while hanging inside their compartment behind their seat. There is a partition there, however there is finger space around the grab bar where the two perpendicular partitions meet, allowing thieves to reach in.

Mississauga Transit does not have any. They are not even looking into them. They feel driver training to aviod a conflict is better. Go figure.

Unless you have operators who's too militant.

Then there's the "hot head" passengers and those ones are in a rare cases.