Whitehorse Transit

Vancouver

So I took a trip up to Whitehorse about 2 weeks ago and had an excellent tour of the transit system. I had met someone at the CUTA Youth Summit last summer that worked as a bus driver in Whitehorse and he had provided a detailed description of Whitehorse Transit and the city. He was facinated with all of the members of this board with interest in buses (since no one in Whitehorse ever goes and stalks buses up there) and might be joining this forum shortly.

System Overview:

There are 6 Routes in Total and usually each day requires a total of 7 buses out during the AM/PM Peak and 3 buses out during the PM peak. Usually, there's 1 or 2 High Floors out during the peak hours. Each bus runs on a 35 Minute Schedule and terminates Downtown on Ogilvie Street. Some routes actually have pretty good ridership (there was 60 passengers on the Riverdale bus that I took running through Downtown to the Riverdale suburb). The longest route is 22km in length (and is allocated a running time of only 30 Minutes :o)

Fleet News:

Here is the current fleet allocation with pictures from each category.

18 - 1982 Orion 1 (Ex-Calgary 247)

18_Interior.jpg

There is 1 last Orion 1 that sees regular service in the summer. My friend takes it out every day instead of the Novas since it feels like it's a better bus to drive. This was former Calgary #247 and arrived in Whitehorse in 1988.

24 and 25 - 1997 Nova RTS

25_1.jpg

25.jpg

There are 2 of these in running condition, and usually 1 of them sees daily service due to driver preference (or 2 if there is a Nova LFS that isn't working). These were built to MTA (New York) specs.

29 - 2002 Thomas Transliner (This was the first day the bus went out since September of last year!!! :lol:)

29.jpg

This bus doesn't see much service unless there is some major problems in the fleet. Ever since the LFS's arrived, the drivers love those buses and this bus doesn't get used as a result since it isn't as nice to drive.

32, 33, 34, 35 - 2006 NovaBus LFS

35.jpg

These are standard 2nd Generation 40' NovaBus LFS, with the new light arrangements similar to BC Transit and Translink.

36 and 37 - 2008 NovaBus LFS (Delivered November 2008)

37.jpg

These arrived in November of 2008 and are the same as the 08's except they have the new floors.

And for Chris, two Shuttles for the Handy Bus Service, 28, a Ford Shuttle (I really don't know the manufacturer) and 31, a 2007 International Shuttle.

28.jpg

31.jpg

So all the other Orions are Retired and all except 19 are removed off the property. Nova RTS (26 and 27) have engine issues and aren't running. Thomas Transliner (30) has some issues and is currently stored on property.

19.jpg

And here are some pictures of the former buses in Whitehorse, including the Flureys and the first Orion 1

Flurey1.jpg

Orion.jpg

I still have tons of other pictures, but think this post is long enough. PM me if you want anything else.

And stay tuned for pictures of my next destination, Yellowknife, where I will be heading this Saturday :)

• Like 1

This is great! There's virtually no info about these transit systems up in northern Canada and you just provided great pictures w/ info! BTW, do you have a exterior shot of Orion I #18? Can't wait to read about your Yellowknife trip.

I can't seem to find a picture of 18 that I took (I'll try to look further) but here is one that was sent to me by its driver.

18.jpg

Would like to see a rear shot of the RTS and LFS if you can.

They've went to Nova bus because of the stainless steel and both buses goes through extreme low temperature. Nice long journey to deliver the buses too

Here's a picture of the back of bus 26, Nova RTS sitting in the yard with issues, and 37, the newest Nova LFS.

26.jpg

37_Rear.jpg

And builder's plate off 25. I tried to get the builder's plate of 18 bus couldn't find it anywhere on the bus.

25_Builders_Plate.jpg

Actually, the main reason for the Novas wasn't the stainless steel frames. They needed buses in a hurry in 97 and that was why the RTS's were accquired. They went to Novas for LFS's because the 97's weren't too bad and they thought they might hold up better D40LF's. Rust isn't a problem up in Whitehorse since salt isn't used (they use sand and gravel instead).

There is 1 last Orion 1 that sees regular service in the summer. My friend takes it out every day instead of the Novas since it feels like it's a better bus to drive.

Any idea which routes it goes on during the summer ? I might visiting Whitehorse in July and I'd love to see that bus running.

• 1 month later...
if anyone is looking for pictures of the yellowknife transit buses the bus yard that i drive out of in calgary has 2 thomas built buses for yellowknife transit we just finished them and they look sweet

Definately looking for those Photos! Please share if you would like to. I used to drive out of that same yard. I actually spotted one of those new buses for Yellowknife Transit inside your shops a couple of weeks ago and I kept forgetting to post about it on this board.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting all these photos on Whitehorse Transit. I had a quick look at them before I ventured up there a couple weeks ago. Quite amazed how some of those routes had a fair number of riders, especially for a transit system that's serving an area with a population under 25,000. Here are a few pics I took:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer_901/3714894943

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer_901/3715705182

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer_901/3714894599

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyer_901/3715705588

Cheers,

Rob

• 9 months later...

I spent yesterday and today in Whitehorse and will upload some photos when I return.

The ex-Calgary Orion 1 (#18) is still in service although it does not go out much. The peak vehicle requirement is for 7 vehicles which for the past two days was all six Novas (#32-37) and one RTS (# 24). The active fleet is at 10 vehicles as the two Thomas TL960 buses (# 28,29) rarely go out. According to the contact that gave me the garage tour, Regina has expressed interest in 24 and 25 (both RTSs).

Whitehorse has 4 3rd gen Novas on order for July delivery and at that time, the active fleet will be 10 Novas. All of the highfloors are expected to go. The Thomas buses will be kept as spares but will likely never go out.

Off to Yellowknife tomorrow and will report what I find.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Since i'm headed to Whitehorse soon, does anybody know if the highfloors still go out? Also does anybody know the location of the depot? Thanks!

Sorry for the cheap commercial plug, but as shown in the 2011 edition of "The Street Side Guide", Whitehorse Transit in now an all low floor fleet. The delivery of 4 3rd gen Novas last year (# 38-41) resulted in the retirement of the Orion 1, RTS and Thomas TL960.

The transfer point is on Ogilvie Street. The garage is on 139 Tlingit Street.

The 2011 SSG can be ordered from the following link: http://transitheritage.ca/Forms/CTHF_SSG_2011_Order_Form.pdf

Thanks for letting me know :( Sadly, i'm not willing to spend $$ on the book... Anyways, do you know if they still have highfloors on the property?

The book is a part of current fleet and history, so it does help as a resources in the future and giving the guys a hard work for putting it altogether! I would get it myself to support the society but not right now.

• 2 years later...

I am spending nine days in Whitehorse in a couple weeks. Need to take transit one day as I will be without a car; looking at the website it seems they started evening service Monday - Thursday in September 2013. Previously only Friday had service after 7pm.

When I'm there will try and verify the current fleet.

I am spending nine days in Whitehorse in a couple weeks. Need to take transit one day as I will be without a car; looking at the website it seems they started evening service Monday - Thursday in September 2013. Previously only Friday had service after 7pm.

When I'm there will try and verify the current fleet.

Get photos! Its rare to see whitehorse transit buses there

• 4 weeks later...

No changes to the fleet I could observe.

18, the Orion is still on property but clearly not immediately road worthy.

There's another Orion just South of the mid-point of the Whitehorse Airport used for firefighter training, it appears. No way to tell the fleet number as my plane was taking off!

No changes to the fleet I could observe.

18, the Orion is still on property but clearly not immediately road worthy.

There's another Orion just South of the mid-point of the Whitehorse Airport used for firefighter training, it appears. No way to tell the fleet number as my plane was taking off!

any Nova RTS still on property?

Here is a shot of the Orion 1 bus at the Whitehorse Airport, taken by Ian MacDonald. Obviously with the plane windows, they use it for training purposes.

Orion Airliner - Whitehorse.jpg

• 11 months later...

Nothing too exciting to report. No changes to the conventional fleet. There's at least one new GMC shuttle. Haven't caught the fleet number yet.

All the retired coaches have been moved. They're still at the transit / maintenance yard but are now clearly viewable from public property. A have dozen Orion I's and RTS.

• 9 months later...