MÉTRO

SMS

Hah nice

On a somewhat related note... have there been instances of flat wheels in the Montreal metro at least for the steel wheels? Because I've heard this happens on Toronto subway trains from time to time.

In the 3 1/2 years I worked as a metro operator, i've never heard of this happening. I think this happens when the trains brake quickly and the steel wheels stop turning and glide along the track. Since the steel wheels do not actually touch the steel track it is not a problem here. Our trains, however, can get a flat tire. It happens very rarely. I've heard of only 1 or 2 incidents.

There was a time when the Washington Metro forbid driving in manual, except when special permission was given in certain cases. The reason was because the operators would brake harder than the automatic pilot, causing wheel flats.

In the 3 1/2 years I worked as a metro operator, i've never heard of this happening. I think this happens when the trains brake quickly and the steel wheels stop turning and glide along the track. Since the steel wheels do not actually touch the steel track it is not a problem here. Our trains, however, can get a flat tire. It happens very rarely. I've heard of only 1 or 2 incidents.

There was a time when the Washington Metro forbid driving in manual, except when special permission was given in certain cases. The reason was because the operators would brake harder than the automatic pilot, causing wheel flats.

Just last night at 6pm there was a flat tire that started at jean talon.(my diagnoses)

We left jean talon and I heard the radio go off in the drivers cabin, then every station we got to the noise got louder and louder, at cremazie he announced the the terminus would be Henri-bourassa.

Once we got to henri bourassa(old platform) you would feel the gaps on the cement surface where the wheels roll on. and there was a train waiting for us on the new platform.

• Board Admin

A blurb from today's Metro newspaper:

Montreal mulls larger subway cars

A larger, more expensive order for new Montreal subway cars could be announced by the end of 2009, says the head of the city's transit authority. Yves Devin said it's up to the Quebec government to announce if the order will be larger than the original forecast of $1.2 billion for 342 cars.

Just last night at 6pm there was a flat tire that started at jean talon.(my diagnoses)

We left jean talon and I heard the radio go off in the drivers cabin, then every station we got to the noise got louder and louder, at cremazie he announced the the terminus would be Henri-bourassa.

Once we got to henri bourassa(old platform) you would feel the gaps on the cement surface where the wheels roll on. and there was a train waiting for us on the new platform.

Normally an underinflated tire is signalled as the train pulls into the station. If this happens, the train is normally evacuated. The operator is asked to do a visual inspection (in the station if it is an insided tire, in the tunnel if its an outside tire(platform side)) If no deflated tire is found, the train is driven slowly without passengers 2 or 3 stations to see if the tire detection equipment signals another deflated tire. If it doesn't, the train is put back in service. Underinflated or flat tires are taken very seriously in the metro. The fire that occured in the 70s between Rosemont and Laurier was a result of a flat tire. Since then deflated tire detection equipment was installed at the entrace of every station.

Anto, did you notice at the end of the platform if the TIRE light was lit up or not?

I did not know there is even such a light.

I did stick around for a bit waiting for the metro to leave, but the driver got out of the cabin came walking down and told me to go to the new platform. He then had a conversation with a staff member but I don't know if it had anything to do with the noise. :P

Saw a test train passing through Metro Villa-Maria today at around 11:50 AM, direction Montmorency. Each car had yellow lights on either side of the destination sign, and there were big yellow pancartes in the front and rear of the train that said "Train d'Essai". There were posters in the windows advising passengers not to board the train, and inside there were some STM personnel working at laptops. Just as was the case with the last test trains that were spotted, there were sandbags on the seats.

The Place St-Henri underpass, which was closed all summer when it was totally rebuilt, reopened friday. The only difference is that the ceiling coffers are much more shallower than before.

Saw a test train passing through Metro Villa-Maria today at around 11:50 AM, direction Montmorency. Each car had yellow lights on either side of the destination sign, and there were big yellow pancartes in the front and rear of the train that said "Train d'Essai". There were posters in the windows advising passengers not to board the train, and inside there were some STM personnel working at laptops. Just as was the case with the last test trains that were spotted, there were sandbags on the seats.

I saw one too, it was 79-747 at the front facing Montmorency.

I saw the same thing about 2-3 weeks ago but the train was going through Métro Édouard-Montpetit!

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. The “circles“ of Mousseau are the trademark of Peel metro station and the illuminated ones on the platforms gave it a very distinctive look. When the STM decided some years ago to open the metro to large scale publicity and backlighted advertisings, I thought that it would be appropriate not to install them at Peel to preserve its distinction as “the metro station with traffic lights“ as I used to call it as a child…

When the STM did some renovations in the metro about 12 years ago, many lamented the lack of interest or care by the STM for the original architecture, materials used and style of the sixties. Talking of Peel again, I remember one of the ceramic circle of Mousseau was moved to make place for advertising. <_<

Good news! Peel "Mousseau" circles are mostly lit up for the first time in at least seven years!

Good news! Peel "Mousseau" circles are mostly lit up for the first time in at least seven years!

It's about time! Peel was starting to become quite dark as of late, and it's rare nowadays that the STM doesn't take advantage of more lighting.

• 2 weeks later...
De la Concorde station no longer has any blue tiles hanging on the walls so I guess they're preparing to replace them soon. Or they removed them for safety... or looters :lol:

That's old news.

I even made a commentary video about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYhmMOQU5Zw

And an update on it, The blue tiles were falling off the wall. i guess the cement was wrongly mixed or something.

They have started to replace them now, a section all the way down the platform has new tiles up, but looks like they will be adding a design to it, as there is empty circles in the tiles.

Will be makiing a new video tomorrow and will be updating it often for you guys.

They have started to replace them now, a section all the way down the platform has new tiles up, but looks like they will be adding a design to it, as there is empty circles in the tiles.

I didn't get a close look at those tiles but I think that's original and the circles were created from drilling, to check things behind the tiles.

I didn't get a close look at those tiles but I think that's original and the circles were created from drilling, to check things behind the tiles.

I'm not talking about those really small holes that are behinf the tiles, I'm talking about the tiles actually have a big circle cut out and look like tiles will be put there.