MÉTRO

SMS

Also in other great news some of the Peel "circle lights" on the platform level next to the ads have fresh neon tubes in them and have been lit up for the first time in several years!

I was so happy to see that! When I was a boy I remarked how astounding the contrast was to have bright lights at the platform level vs the rest of the darker station. I always got out at McGill and never at Peel so it was a great mystery to me to see the setup of the station. Now that some of these lights are back I get to relive that all over again! :(

Oh? I just spent some time waiting for my train tonight, and I lamented, as usual, the demise of those unusual decorations (Peel is my favourite station).

When they first put the backlighted advertisings all over the place, I found them annoying, as I felt that they made me think we arrived in Peel…

Happy 43rd bday MÉTRO

You don't look a day over 43!

Kid, wait until you’re past 40 before making such judgments…

Oh? I just spent some time waiting for my train tonight, and I lamented, as usual, the demise of those unusual decorations (Peel is my favourite station).

When they first put the backlighted advertisings all over the place, I found them annoying, as I felt that they made me think we arrived in Peel…

Agreed. The “circles“ of Mousseau are the trademark of Peel metro station and the illuminated ones on the platforms gave it a very distinctive look. When the STM decided some years ago to open the metro to large scale publicity and backlighted advertisings, I thought that it would be appropriate not to install them at Peel to preserve its distinction as “the metro station with traffic lights“ as I used to call it as a child…

When the STM did some renovations in the metro about 12 years ago, many lamented the lack of interest or care by the STM for the original architecture, materials used and style of the sixties. Talking of Peel again, I remember one of the ceramic circle of Mousseau was moved to make place for advertising. :o

I too have always been mesmerized by those ginormous colored circles at Peel, both the illuminated ones and the ceramic ones on the walls. They're probably one of my favorite things about the Metro.

On a totally different note, is it me, or does the interior design of Radisson look like something straight out of Star Trek?

--

Today, a series of strange things happened while I was riding an Angrignon-bound Green Line train. First of all, when we pulled into Langelier, the train suddenly shut off. A few seconds later, we were back up and running. All of a sudden these two lights at the front of the car turned on (one green and one red) as we were moving. A third amber light turned on at one point as well. The train was moving at its usual speed until we headed towards Berri. The train suddenly slowed down, and entered the station very slowly. A walkie-talkie carrying CO came and looked at the back of the train upon arrival, but later walked away. I assumed this meant that all was well. However, does anyone here know what those lights at the front of the Metro car are for, and what it means when they come on?

Those lights indicate whether the car is in braking mode (yellow) or not (green). If there is no pressure in the braking system, it is green, when the pressure goes above a certain level, the yellow light goes on. The lights can be turned on when there is a braking problem on the train to find the defective car.

On a totally different note, is it me, or does the interior design of Radisson look like something straight out of Star Trek?
I’ve always called it “Moonbase” ever since I first saw it…

Those lights indicate whether the car is in braking mode (yellow) or not (green). If there is no pressure in the braking system, it is green, when the pressure goes above a certain level, the yellow light goes on. The lights can be turned on when there is a braking problem on the train to find the defective car.

I've seen this happen as well, and the light turns red/purple when the train appears to be braking hard in manual mode, or while in automatic mode in the tunnel just before the train automatically adjusts the speed.

The blue - sometimes purple lights on motorized cars (79-000 and 81-000) indicated that the motors of that particular car are inactive. When a motorized car is inactive, the braking system is also affected, making for a sometimes uncomfortable ride.

LOL, you're telling me. I've been on a car that really gets bumpy when starting up and stopping. It's almost as if we're playing bumper cars. This could be a totally different problem, but I think it might have something to do with that.

I recorded a video as well where I was riding on an MR63 and whenever it started up the train jumped forwards and the doors rattled and people almost fell on the floor each time. I knew after the first time how it would react, so I kept holding tight. The sound of the doors was if you were to push someone into the doors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was in Montreal this summer and the tiles at De La concorde were falling off the wall. Are they planning on fixing this anytime soon?

Probably not. I don't know if someone is stealing tiles or someone who did the construction didn't do a good job sticking the tiles!

Hah nice

On a somewhat related note... have there been instances of flat wheels in the Montreal metro at least for the steel wheels? Because I've heard this happens on Toronto subway trains from time to time.