MÉTRO

SMS

My take:

• Orange Line: I'm a bit skeptical about the loop thing. However, the Bois-Franc extension seems like a good idea, and I think it's been in the pipeline for a while, based on what I've heard.
  • Blue Line: I believe this one has been in the pipeline for a while as well, and it seems to be a viable idea. It should definitely work.
  • Yellow Line: Not so sure about this one. I've been told that the proposed end (Rolland-Therrien) is basically in the middle of nowhere, with almost no connections to RTL surface routes. The smart thing to do would be to have the extension end at CEGEP Edouard-Montpetit, for example. The location of that station would provide numerous links to RTL routes.

I favour a bridgehead in Laval and nothing more; I favour Line 5 in its entirety (even more so for Montreal North); I am against Longueuil metro extension.

Let's keep it simple: subway for the inner city and commuter rail for the suburbs.

In the end everyone wins: the less cars off the road the better.

I'm all for light rail, but if they're going to do it that way, they must have dedicated double track the entire length, and integration with the metro system. The current plan for the airport LRT is essentially just a glorified commuter train. Instead of starting at LuLa or Gare Centrale, the LRT station should be built at level with a metro station, for easier transfers, like at Angrignon or CV.

Sure there might also be a need for a light rail link between downtown and the airport, but it would be solely for that purpose, not making any other stops along the way, and perhaps even operated by a private company.

I dunno; there's a lot to consider. Just a few ideas to think about.

I'm all for light rail, but if they're going to do it that way, they must have dedicated double track the entire length, and integration with the metro system. The current plan for the airport LRT is essentially just a glorified commuter train. Instead of starting at LuLa or Gare Centrale, the LRT station should be built at level with a metro station, for easier transfers, like at Angrignon or CV [...].

The Doney spur starts right at a future metro terminus and is crying for passengers! Plus it ends right near Fairview. All that is needed is a tunnel from the end of track (near Home Depot IIRC) to under Fairview terminus and a track electrification. Then it would be an excellent to link with the STM buses at Fairview terminus to the metro at Bois-Franc. The West Island, Longueil and Laval metro extensions are all not priorities in my opinion. Let's concentrate on the blue line (eastward most definitely and westbound if possible) and the orange line to Bois-Franc (and maybe even Gouin blvd.)

The West Island, Longueuil and even Laval have train lines that can be exploited first. Let's increase commuter rail frequencies first (and add new lines).

The Downey spur is a nonstarter. First of all, it is parallel to the Rigaud line (from about 1200m to 3km), and it does not serve much population, and east of montée des Sources, none at all.

A much better idea would be a streetcar line along the hydro corridor north of the 40 along Salaberry street, branching-off from the Deux-Montagnes line around highway 13. This would have the advantage of serving all the population north of the 40 as opposed to not at all with the Downey.

I disagree, I believe that the Doney Spur line running between Fairview and Bois-Franc or maybe even downtown that way the segment of track between Bois-Franc and Gare Centrale get additional frequency from 2 lines would really help the West Island's transit situation.

Fairview is the major bus terminus of the West Island and a major destination in its own right. The line runs right through the industrial corridor of Hymus/Aut-40 encoruaging people from within the West Island and from Montreal to commute to work in the West Island by transit.

The Downey spur is between 1.5 to 3 km away from existing train lines. Better increase the service on the Rigaud line instead; that would be cheaper and serve much more people. The west-island already has two commuter train lines; it certainly doesn't need a third one, especially when there are many far more pressing issues, such as adequate shelters at the terminu (Lionel-Groulx is an utter disgrace. Fairview is a shame and Côte-Vertu — excuse me, I wipe the froth from my mouth — is an absolute scandal).

IMHO,

The Blue Line-5 should be going east bound to Pie-IX ASAP

and same thing with Line-2 west bound to Bois-Franc.

The sooner with get this done the cheaper it will cost at the End.

Those are given and will work very well with other transit project

Also i rather see brand new metro line in LRT (6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11) mode than to try to redesign old line 2 in Laval Line 5 in LRT mode.

But in order to have an LRT line we need long and large road.

Henri-Bourassa

L'Acadie

Côte-Vertu

I think that the Line-2 Eastbound should also go the Carrefour Laval in order remove some bus line from Montmorency Terminus. But before that the full price integration should be done so student who lives in Ste-Rose and study in Collège Montmorency does not need a TRAM 3 to take the metro in Laval between Montmorency and Carrefour Laval.

As for a beach head in Laval on the Westbound Orange Line-2, in order to work properly the terminal station should had enough spare around to build a big bus terminus. The only place left is corner of Monod et Chomedey.

Chomedey and Monod, Laval

For the line 4 yellow line.

I believe that it's a good thing to go up to Cegep Edouard-Montpetit (Gentilly) but it's a ridiculous idea to go up to St-Hubert airport specially since we are still far away from Dorval-TRUDEAU Airport.

The best airport ever built was opened in 1975 in Mirabel.

It had provision for a train station in the basement, one floor below airline counters.

Having extended the Deux-Montagnes line to Mirabel would have given it very good access to downtown. And if Dorval would have been closed, Mirabel could have been used to it’s full potential without sinking the few billions that have been wasted on Dorval International Bécosse the last 10 years or so. Furthermore, the land in Dorval would have been redevelopped, absorbing a lot of the urban sprawl we see right now.

Here is my take on the whole subject, answering a mostly clueless 2004 article from the Toronto Star.

You could do this search on YouTube

And thanks from bringing this back ON topic! This is the metro thread after all.

They're both still around, I was on one on Wednesday during the afternoon rush hour. It doesn't seem to be as loud as it used to be though. But the driver was driving FULL manual, and there were a few hard stops and a lot of peanut heaven! (Only hardcore fans will understand that last statement)

I'll put up the video a bit later on this evening.

You can check my Jeumont videos on my youtube page if you like while you wait:

http://www.youtube.com/MysticMTL

If you watch this video for the full duration you'll see the 3 notes don't get played at every station departure.

The train had made the sound really loud but it never made it again for the ride, so you do have to be lucky when you get on. And it's always in the middle of the platform.

well my dad last week said he was at beri on the yellow line and he said he saw the jeumont train and he said it sounded louder than ever

It all depends if the Jeumont motor car is activated or not. For some reason they deactivate it, or they have it on reserve mode where it only turns on when it's needed, such as a steep incline, or a horizontal station departure where the train can't coast down a hill to pick up speed.

A few months ago I rode the Jeumont and it was more than just loud, a secret 6th note was audible and it was such a deep sound that it sounded like it it was causing a resonating vibration when the train was ready to stop in the station, (again, videos for this one will show up some day on my youtube account too.) :blink:

It all depends if the Jeumont motor car is activated or not. For some reason they deactivate it, or they have it on reserve mode where it only turns on when it's needed, such as a steep incline, or a horizontal station departure where the train can't coast down a hill to pick up speed.

A few months ago I rode the Jeumont and it was more than just loud, a secret 6th note was audible and it was such a deep sound that it sounded like it it was causing a resonating vibration when the train was ready to stop in the station, (again, videos for this one will show up some day on my youtube account too.) :blink:

Oh please, for the sake of all that makes pleasant sounds, post those videos!

The sooner with get this done the cheaper it will cost at the End.

Of course, because inflation will eventually kick in!

I think that the Line-2 Eastbound should also go the Carrefour Laval in order remove some bus line from Montmorency Terminus. But before that the full price integration should be done so student who lives in Ste-Rose and study in Collège Montmorency does not need a TRAM 3 to take the metro in Laval between Montmorency and Carrefour Laval.

That's another reason I don't like the loop; to go from Laval location to Laval location by metro is not in the best interest of Laval transit users. Besides, most of Laval metro users take the metro to go to Mtl and to come back from Mtl.

As for a beach head in Laval on the Westbound Orange Line-2, in order to work properly the terminal station should had enough spare around to build a big bus terminus. The only place left is corner of Monod et Chomedey.

Assuming we still have the same lines going through that part of boul. Chomedey, why would you have to build a big bus terminal for just three bus lines (55, 66, 902)? Also, how is Chomedey/Cartier O. as a bridgehead?

Possible_bridgehead.JPG

In other unrelated but ahppy news, the STM has indicated at the last board of directors meeting pdf page that the remaining two murals of Claude Guité's seasons will return to the upper deck of Snowdon Stn behind plexiglass! Great news for people that like to ride a classy metro! I was wondering when they'd put the murals back up! They were so beautiful before vandals defaced it to the point of removing the entire thing.

Yes and this hasn't stopped them from defacing the bare concrete wall without the artwork after it was removed. I really don't think you can spray with accuracy from the edge of the platform. These pigs obviously know how to not get electrocuted... unfortunately... which is why going in the tunnel never presented a grave danger to them.

Also in other great news some of the Peel "circle lights" on the platform level next to the ads have fresh neon tubes in them and have been lit up for the first time in several years!

I was so happy to see that! When I was a boy I remarked how astounding the contrast was to have bright lights at the platform level vs the rest of the darker station. I always got out at McGill and never at Peel so it was a great mystery to me to see the setup of the station. Now that some of these lights are back I get to relive that all over again! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...