MÉTRO

SMS

Yes it's Vendome

If the driver is not touching anything that's conduite automatique :rolleyes: The only line operated exclusively in CM is L4.

Some drivers pretend to drive though. Usually you can tell if it's in Manual if it brakes harder than normal, or if it frequently brakes through the tunnel. If you're in the first car, you'll hear a buzzer sound if the driver is speeding.

I normally monitor the "Daily Commuter" sections on the Gazette page.

On the page dedicated to CITSO's vs. OPUS someone asks this unrelated but very interesting question:

((

Question: Last week when I got to the eastbound Blue Line platform at Snowdon Metro, the was a train parked there. It was clearly markes as a "test train" - not taking passengers. Inside the 3 lead cars, there were large bags of sand on each seat and all over the floor. What is the purpose of thei test? How often is it performed? Why were the bags in 3 cars only? Mike Curtis

))

Anyone ever heard of this before?

And the official Answer from today's Gazette:

Tests like this are conducted regularly on métro trains to ensure the signalling equipment in the tunnels is functioning properly, according to Pierre St-Georges, head of the STM's mechanics and maintenance workers union.

"The sandbags simulate the weight of a train with passengers on it but they don't have to be distributed evenly throughout the cars because only six of the nine cars on a train have their motors functioning" during normal operations, he explained.

The signalling system interfaces with the train to let it know how much electrical power is needed at points in the tunnels with ascents and descents, he added.

The signalling is currently being upgraded, so tests are being conducted more frequently. But he could not say exactly how often.

• 2 weeks later...
See: http://www.societyinmotion.org/SWF/?en/#/metro-cars

They will be gradually introduced in 2013.

Alex

Meh.. They chose the style I liked the least. Oh well... Atleast we'll still have the MR73's for another 15+ years that still look modern for their time.

The problem I see with these new trains is that they are trying to make them look ultra modern, but by the time they are 30 years old (if they last that long) they are going to look so outdated, unlike our MR63's and MR73's that still look quite modern compared to other cities with much newer rolling stock.

I'm also not that crazy about a one eyed monster train, two lights just like a normal subway train or car is fine for me.

For the colour. White is "in" for now, but I think since it's just an animation of the trains, they'll work on a new scheme. If not, well, then as we've seen the last 5 years, the vandalisms has increased 10 fold, so we can only imagine in 5 to 10 years what it will look like. And as we've already seen in the new 2009 all white buses, they are a perfect drawing board for taggers and scratchers...

Sigh.. Well, we'll see in the fall of 2011, or was it 2013? Both dates were mentioned.

Good evening :P

This might be a stupid question ( :o ), but how can I tell if a metro is being driven in "conduite manuel" ? How exactly is it different from the regular operating mode and why/when is it used?

Thanks a lot!

this is an add-on to this post because im not quite sure what the STM metro operators do the whole time then(from ottawa dont know much about metro

this is an add-on to this post because im not quite sure what the STM metro operators do the whole time then(from ottawa dont know much about metro

They would constantly monitor the front end to watch the signals, watch out for anyone on the tracks, etc. It's common sense when you are driving anything!

Meh.. They chose the style I liked the least. Oh well... Atleast we'll still have the MR73's for another 15+ years that still look modern for their time.

The problem I see with these new trains is that they are trying to make them look ultra modern, but by the time they are 30 years old (if they last that long) they are going to look so outdated, unlike our MR63's and MR73's that still look quite modern compared to other cities with much newer rolling stock.

Agreed. The Metros you guys have the styling of 80s and 90s. (80s for the MR63s and 90s for the MR73s) At least in my opinion. The MR73s especially look modern, like when I mean 90s, I mean like they look like they are from 1999. It still blows my mind that they are so old.

They would constantly monitor the front end to watch the signals, watch out for anyone on the tracks, etc. It's common sense when you are driving anything!

ok that seems more obvious now that i think about it :P

It seems somewhat useful that you can walk between cars, like on the Paris metro, but I question as to whether this is really an improvement. It may pose safety hazards, and the cars may be noisier. I like that on off-peak weekends I can sometimes have an entire metro car to myself, but now this will be inpossible.

Ah well, by 2013 I might not even be living in Montreal.

QUOTE (JeremyA @ Jun 28 2009, 09:54 PM) *

but I question as to whether this is really an improvement. It may pose safety hazards,

Such as what?

I'm not sure about safety hazards, except for the fact that people, probably kids will be running up and down the entire train, trip and get hurt. Or if you're safety is in danger, and you change cars to get away, this new system won't work for you.

But I suppose the safety aspect outweighs the other two for blind people, which won't accidentally fall onto the track between two cars any longer. Some cities actually put a rope to prevent people from falling, but it's not in Montreal.

There are safety drawbacks from the "open concept" design of the new Metro - for instance, you can't break a train in two and back the second half out in the event of a fire or derailment. And you can isolate a dangerous situation in just one car.

But it does help in terms of capacity - there will be a substantial improvement as the operators cabs that would have otherwise been unusable with older trainsets are now passenger space, as well as the inter-car connections. And people will be able to walk throughout the train, evening out the passenger loading.

Dan

There are safety drawbacks from the "open concept" design of the new Metro - for instance, you can't break a train in two and back the second half out in the event of a fire or derailment. And you can isolate a dangerous situation in just one car.

But it does help in terms of capacity - there will be a substantial improvement as the operators cabs that would have otherwise been unusable with older trainsets are now passenger space, as well as the inter-car connections. And people will be able to walk throughout the train, evening out the passenger loading.

Dan

I'm assuming that these new trains will have the ability to reverse, incase of a motorcar failure, which happens quite often it seems with the current rolling stock, but we have the benefit of having two other sets to push and pull the set that's non-functional.

With this one train the size of 9 car lengths, down the road they'll have to get around to finishing St-Michel station to make it 9 car length capable. And maintenance will certainly be a nightmare. At one point they had discussed having 3 boa trains the length of 3 cars each attached to each other which would make it easier to move around in the garage for maintenance, and would allow different configurations for different demands, as well as pick up the slack if there was a malfunction the second set could push.

As for safety issues, you bring up a good point. If gas or fumes were to be released either by accident or on purpose, the entire train would be engulfed with the gas, and as for flammability, there will be nothing restricting the fire from travelling through the entire length of the train.

One more good thing about the new configuration is that people will not be required to walk through tunnels when someone jumps infront of the train, they can safely evacuate them by walking the length of the train and into the door that's level with the platform entering the station.

I'm assuming that these new trains will have the ability to reverse, incase of a motorcar failure, which happens quite often it seems with the current rolling stock, but we have the benefit of having two other sets to push and pull the set that's non-functional.

Of course they will be able to reverse - I meant in the sense that should something happen to the lead set - say, a fire onboard, or a derailment - you could always uncouple the trailing set or two and run them back to a safer location. And the same could be done with the trailing set. You won't be able to do this with the new trains.

With this one train the size of 9 car lengths, down the road they'll have to get around to finishing St-Michel station to make it 9 car length capable. And maintenance will certainly be a nightmare. At one point they had discussed having 3 boa trains the length of 3 cars each attached to each other which would make it easier to move around in the garage for maintenance, and would allow different configurations for different demands, as well as pick up the slack if there was a malfunction the second set could push.

I don't know about "nightmare", but it will certainly require totally different facilities and techniques. I would expect that Montréal's new trains will be confined primarily to one or two lines for ease of maintenance.

This is one of the things that Toronto is now building up for with our new subways, which are going to be configured as a single 6-car train. Some had argued that building paired gangway-connected trains would allow for the use of existing facilities and techniques, but still allow for some measure of increased capacity. Apparently though, it wasn't enough of an improvement.

That said, one of the things that Montréal's Métro lacks is computerization. Toronto's latest subways are completely computerized, which allows for all sorts of various benefits when things go all terribly pear-shaped, to use the English expression - such as control of a train from a dead car.

Dan

yea there will be a dissadvantage whenveer i visit montreal i get lucky sometimes and have the whole car to yourself it's kinda enjoyable but with a joined car's people will like just walk through plus its kind of hard to picture the metro other than what it is now.

Of course they will be able to reverse - I meant in the sense that should something happen to the lead set - say, a fire onboard, or a derailment - you could always uncouple the trailing set or two and run them back to a safer location. And the same could be done with the trailing set. You won't be able to do this with the new trains.

Dan

You say ofcourse as if it's something that's been available for years, but if you're able to reverse your train, then it will be a first in Montreal, since right now for safety reasons you can only drive forward and there is no possible way to reverse incase you pass the platform slightly, or for the driver to switch tracks. Perhaps they'll have a camera of sorts to that the driver can turn around the train by himself now, and view his progress through a monitor?

You say ofcourse as if it's something that's been available for years, but if you're able to reverse your train, then it will be a first in Montreal, since right now for safety reasons you can only drive forward and there is no possible way to reverse incase you pass the platform slightly, or for the driver to switch tracks. Perhaps they'll have a camera of sorts to that the driver can turn around the train by himself now, and view his progress through a monitor?

I would bet dollars to donuts that there is a way to reverse a train from the front cab in a train. It may not be frequently used (if at all), but I'm sure it's there.

Dan

I would bet dollars to donuts that there is a way to reverse a train from the front cab in a train. It may not be frequently used (if at all), but I'm sure it's there.

Dan

I agree that there has to be some sort of functions that are rarely used but are there incase of emergencies. Such as a fire in the front cab that was put out quickly, but a train packed full of passengers, they would be able to push the train using the second cab in the middle while the first cab would be deactivated.