MÉTRO

SMS

This is the one I prefer and is pretty obvious!

modele_b.jpg

Yep, that one actually depicts how to move thru the door lol!

I found even with the first attempt a while back there that it didn't help all that much. Sure people made an effort to stay just outside the line, and allow others to exit the metro before attempting to board themselves, however, it also encouraged people to all crowd around certain spots on the platfor, rather than spreading out all along...

Yep, that one actually depicts how to move thru the door lol!

I found even with the first attempt a while back there that it didn't help all that much. Sure people made an effort to stay just outside the line, and allow others to exit the metro before attempting to board themselves, however, it also encouraged people to all crowd around certain spots on the platfor, rather than spreading out all along...

And then you'll get the odd manual driver that will throw everything out of whack.

Here's a short clip from an article about Underground rivers from the Gazette.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/island+lost...9505/story.html

At Guy métro station, water is dripping down the wall behind the platform like a running tap. Overhead, water damage has stained the roof of the tunnel in several places.

"It damages the concrete," says Martin La-certe, an engineer whose job is to outwit underground streams and groundwater that infiltrate the métro.

"We have drainage systems throughout the métro," says Lacerte. "Underground water is a daily reality for us." Lacerte recently supervised a project to eliminate water infiltration at Frontenac station, located near a branch of the former St. Martin stream.

Here at Guy station, Lacerte isn't certain what's causing the problem.

A former creek that ran nearby might be the culprit, but it is hard to know for sure, Lacerte says.

The solution is to install gutters at regular intervals along the vaulted ceiling to capture the water and divert it to a channel that runs alongside the métro rail, where it runs into a drain. Because Guy station is busy at most times of day, it is difficult to schedule extensive repairs, but Lacerte hopes to complete the work by 2010.

"We tell the water, 'Welcome, but the door is over there,'" Lacerte says

I was able to see three interesting things in the system today

Telecite has been updated on some trains. My one today displayed 480 for LuLa, had a shorter scroll for Bonaventure (only advertising midday train service), and at Berri UQAM now includes information on Station Centrale.

Saw an MR73 deadhead on the Green line at Berri going west.

Saw line workers during midday, a pretty rare sight (this aint Toronto). They were checking the switch for Line 1 at Berri to the connecting tracks.

• 3 weeks later...
From the front page of the Globe and Mail:

Woman cuffed for not holding escalator handrail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...//TPStory/Front

The only reason she was fined was that she gave the officers attitude when they requested that she hold the hand rail and then she refused to cooperate when they asked for her identification to give her a $100 ticket for not holding the rail. The stupid part is that she could have taken her $100 fine and contested it and probably would have won in court, but now she has to take the embarrassment of being arrested and a more hefty fine for obstruction of justice! Does she not realize that these are real cops now they have full police powers, as stupid as the reason for the fine was, she is the one fully responsible for not respecting an officer of the law, and for that, she will have to pay.

A man thought it was a stupid law that he couldn't feed squirrels in Westmount, so he decided he wasn't going to pay, and now he's taken a $75 fine, all the way up to $450+ . Once a ticket is issued, there's not much you can do if the law is the law.

From the front page of the Globe and Mail:

Woman cuffed for not holding escalator handrail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...//TPStory/Front

That's a joke if you ask me... She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.. 80% of people that use the metro don't hold the handrail, mainly because it's full of germs and just looks plain discusting most of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone here know the specifics of the accessibility plan for the Bonaventure metro station? I see that the elevators between the platform levels and the mezzanine are well under construction, but once on the mezzanine level how is someone in a wheelchair supposed to exit the station? There doesn't appear to be another elevator to street level under construction, and as far as I can tell, none of the other buildings connected to the station have an elevator to the metro level. Any ideas?

Does anyone here know the specifics of the accessibility plan for the Bonaventure metro station? I see that the elevators between the platform levels and the mezzanine are well under construction, but once on the mezzanine level how is someone in a wheelchair supposed to exit the station? There doesn't appear to be another elevator to street level under construction, and as far as I can tell, none of the other buildings connected to the station have an elevator to the metro level. Any ideas?

Maybe they're expecting the buildings to do their part and add accessibility. I believe there's a way to go through Place Bonaventure to an elevator and to street level. I'm not sure of the others.

Maybe they're expecting the buildings to do their part and add accessibility. I believe there's a way to go through Place Bonaventure to an elevator and to street level. I'm not sure of the others.

Well, there's an exit from Metro Bonaventure which leads to an elevator for the Marriott hotel, but you have to climb some stairs to reach said elevator. Is this what you were referring to?

Perhaps they do. The most likely candidate is 1000 de la Gauchetiere which is right on top of the station. Still, you would think that construction would have started there so the elevator could be ready at the same time as the metro elevators. As for Place Bonaventure, both ways in from the metro currently involve going up long escalators with no elevators in sight.

Well, there's an exit from Metro Bonaventure which leads to an elevator for the Mariott hotel, but you have to climb some stairs to reach said elevator. Is this what you were referring to?

The elevator to the Marriott seems to be the only one to street level at this station, but with those stairs between it and the metro it's useless for someone in a wheelchair.

Perhaps they do. The most likely candidate is 1000 de la Gauchetiere which is right on top of the station. Still, you would think that construction would have started there so the elevator could be ready at the same time as the metro elevators. As for Place Bonaventure, both ways in from the metro currently involve going up long escalators with no elevators in sight.

The elevator to the Marriott seems to be the only one to street level at this station, but with those stairs between it and the metro it's useless for someone in a wheelchair.

That's right. I was thinking about that long inclining hallway, but then just remembered at the end there are escalators at the end, and that's just to get to the basement!

Hmm... There is infact now way at the moment to allow wheelchairs to access Bonaventure...

Unless they plan on something near the TCV exit with that huge hallway, but you'd think they would have started that already. Or perhaps they haven't even thought of putting the elevator to street level yet.

I normally monitor the "Daily Commuter" sections on the Gazette page.

On the page dedicated to CITSO's vs. OPUS someone asks this unrelated but very interesting question:

((

Question: Last week when I got to the eastbound Blue Line platform at Snowdon Metro, the was a train parked there. It was clearly markes as a "test train" - not taking passengers. Inside the 3 lead cars, there were large bags of sand on each seat and all over the floor. What is the purpose of thei test? How often is it performed? Why were the bags in 3 cars only? Mike Curtis

))

Anyone ever heard of this before?

This is done on many properties (and with many types of vehicles) to test the performance of a new vehicle, or a vehicle that has been modified in some way. They use sand bags (or sometimes concrete blocks or barrels of water) to simulate a partial or full load of passengers

If this is a bone-standard MR set though, I can't think of what they might be doing.

Dan

I normally monitor the "Daily Commuter" sections on the Gazette page.

On the page dedicated to CITSO's vs. OPUS someone asks this unrelated but very interesting question:

((

Question: Last week when I got to the eastbound Blue Line platform at Snowdon Metro, the was a train parked there. It was clearly markes as a "test train" - not taking passengers. Inside the 3 lead cars, there were large bags of sand on each seat and all over the floor. What is the purpose of thei test? How often is it performed? Why were the bags in 3 cars only? Mike Curtis

))

Anyone ever heard of this before?

Recently an MR-73 test train was spotted on the green line

My hypothesis was that they were testing the MR-73s on the green line if they wanted to move them there once we get the MR-08s.

I guess that the train in the videos was the same train that the guy saw at Snowdon (?)

Quite interesting