Brandon Transit

The transit tender for the four new buses was extended to next Tuesday.

Hey have you heard anything about #66 or does it even exsist?

I swear I saw it a couple of weeks ago in the shop however I've check around the city garage a few times this past weekend and it's nowhere to be seen.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All four Nova's are here! Numbered 67, 68, 69, and 70. Main features I notice off the bat are the cameras, and seamless windows. Also we've become like every other transit system ever and have a "wa

If you see a maintenance employee walking out of Canadian Tire with an armload of duct tape then yes

Well.... I officially start tomorrow morning with BT at 8:30am. Week 1... Handi Transit training Week 2... Large bus & route training Week 3...If training time is sufficient enough for mysel

Posted Images

Hey have you heard anything about #66 or does it even exsist?

I swear I saw it a couple of weeks ago in the shop however I've check around the city garage a few times this past weekend and it's nowhere to be seen.

I'm pretty sure one of the Calgary members was able to confirm 5 buses sold to Brandon. I haven't seen it myself though.

To see the full story with pictures: http://www.brandonsun.com/local/brandon-transit-puts-old-calgary-buses-into-service-299022501.html?thx=y

(I copied the story in case of paywall).

Brandon Transit puts old Calgary buses into service

By: Graeme Bruce

Wednesday, Apr. 8, 2015 | Comments: 0

Brandon Transit is squeezing a little more life out of five retired Calgary city buses as it deals with a surge in maintenance on its own fleet this year.

In mid-March, the City of Brandon purchased the beater buses for $5,000 a piece, roughly the same price as a used 2004 Honda Civic.

These 20-year-old buses have travelled Calgary roads for an estimated two million kilometres, but they all have rebuilt engines and three of the five have fewer than 100,000 kilometres on the engines.

Tim Sanderson, the city’s director of transportation services, said Brandon will only keep the new-to-us buses until the city can replace four problem-plagued buses purchased just eight years ago.

Sanderson said the lifespan of a regular city bus is anywhere from 12 to 20 years, but Brandon’s four 30-foot ElDorado-built buses, purchased before Sanderson was on the job, are already in dire shape.

"They weren’t designed for regular transit usage," he said. "We’ve had nothing but headaches with these things."

A tender is out to replace them, but at least two of the ElDorado buses have experienced major mechanical problems and are off the road entirely, Sanderson said.

"We don’t feel it’s worth it to replace the engines on something that we’re only going to be hanging on to for seven or eight months while the tender’s out, so we’re using these gently used Calgary buses in place of those."

Meanwhile, the 11 newest buses in Brandon’s fleet are all scheduled for routine maintenance this year and each will be off the road for at least two months. The old Calgary clunkers will also be used as temporary replacements while the fleet gets sent off for work, one bus at a time.

"Normally, we’ve been sending them off to Winnipeg," he said. However, "we’ll send them anywhere — it really depends on what’s available and what the price is."

Once Brandon’s fleet maintenance is complete, the city will get rid of the Cowtown hand-me-downs, rather than keep them around.

"With something like a bus, we can’t just park it for months and just pull off the mothballs when you need it," he said.

Calgary was selling off 50 buses earlier this year and Sanderson said Brandon "got the first pick of the best five of those buses."

» gbruce@brandonsun.com

Wow what a detailed article. That's great. Also nice to see the confirmation of five buses, and the justification for the purchase. Looks like they'll get at least a year of service.

Confirms that the Eldorados were indeed the impetus for the Calgary purchase. I'm not sure the exact cost of a new engine but it appears to be around $5000-$8000 per engine. That is likely over the cost of the 1993 D40LFs including transportation costs. Also, there is consideration to the condition of the 2010 D35/D40LFRS.

Is there known issues with the '11s? BC Transit gets a five year quasi-warranty on their Flyers. I'm under the impression (but don't know) that this is typical, so hopefully issues are being resolved now rather than needing another used purchase down the road

8 of the 11 DFLR's need new engines. Atleast 2 of them haven't moved in quite some time.They are parked outside near the fuel depot.

Maybe they should repower them with something reliable AND easy to maintain, how about a 6V92 :P

(Yes I know in reality that is probably near impossible)

Confirms that the Eldorados were indeed the impetus for the Calgary purchase. I'm not sure the exact cost of a new engine but it appears to be around $5000-$8000 per engine. That is likely over the cost of the 1993 D40LFs including transportation costs. Also, there is consideration to the condition of the 2011 D35/D40LFRS.

The LFR`s were built in 2010. I have photos of them operating in October of 2010. http://www.busdrawings.com/Transit/manitoba/brandon/2010d40lfr/index.htm

And here is an image of the build plate on Brandon #55:

181010-04059brandon55.jpg

The LFR`s were built in 2010. I have photos of them operating in October of 2010. http://www.busdrawings.com/Transit/manitoba/brandon/2010d40lfr/index.htm

And here is an image of the build plate on Brandon #55:

attachicon.gif181010-04059brandon55.jpg

Is 4.5 years and 400 000km's and the average life span of a Cummings ISL engine?

#66 operating today, seen it cruising over the 18th bridge.

All 5 Calgary buses are now in revenue service

Is 4.5 years and 400 000km's and the average life span of a Cummings ISL engine?

Yes give or take, though they should be able to get away with doing an in-frame rebuild. Just bad luck more then one goes at the same time.

Yes give or take, though they should be able to get away with doing an in-frame rebuild. Just bad luck more then one goes at the same time.

If indeed the design life of a ISL is 400,000 km before an overhaul, and Brandon has as pretty constant operating regime, I wouldn't attribute it to bad luck that 2 engines crapped out around the same time. Indeed, with a fleet of 11 buses all purchased at the same time out of an overall fleet of 17 (big) buses, 2 crapping out at once is a blessing. It could be worse! Therein lies the problem of a mass purchase... 11 buses that need engine overhauls apparently in a short timeframe out of a fleet of 17 buses is absolutely massive! In addition, arguably, the 2002's are life expired (12 year design life) and, well, theoretically the El Dorado's should be good for another 3 years or so but apparently that isn't the case.

No, I'd say that Brandon is lucky. There's already been speculation that 49 and 50 would be going out for overhaul. Essentially the entire "big bus" fleet needs attention of some sort... 49 and 50 an overhaul or replacement, the 2010's engine work, and the El Dorado's replacemtent.

So maybe we'll see the unevaluated bid results this Monday. Looks like it hasn't been extended this time. I'm told to expect an order of Nova's.

Novas....interesting.

One of the Calgary units is parked outside near the fuel pumps, likely #63

So maybe we'll see the unevaluated bid results this Monday. Looks like it hasn't been extended this time. I'm told to expect an order of Nova's.

Wow....! Aside from the used Nova LFS that Brandon had, I do not believe any Nova LFS buses have been delivered to a Transit system in the Province of Manitoba ever before. I look forward to hearing the bid results.