Brandon Transit

BusRider

I think cold lake payed around 5000$ for our 1991/92 MCI Classics so id be willing to bet it would be around the same

$5000.00 isn't too bad.

I do like hearing Detroit 2 strokes cruising the streets.

The sad thing is BT retired newer than the 1993 Calgary buses back in 2010 when the new D40LFR/D35LFR's arrived.

#45 & 46 were definitely newer than 1993

BT does seem to be having their issues with the D40LFR/D35LFR's

There are two sitting outside and haven't moved in three weeks, two more in the maintenace garage and one at a repair shop on the North Hill.

Do other cities have the same issues with such new buses?

$5000.00 isn't too bad.

I do like hearing Detroit 2 strokes cruising the streets.

The sad thing is BT retired newer than the 1993 Calgary buses back in 2010 when the new D40LFR/D35LFR's arrived.

Didn't Calgary do an extensive refurbishment of these buses? At this age, the level of rebuild is a much bigger factor than the age of the bus. Even though a lot of Calgary's buses are only out for morning and afternoon peak, they must do extensive refurbishment to keep most of their buses over 20 years.

All of our 1993 units we're rebuilt atleast once if not twice, they even changed the drive trains from ZF to Allison

Brandon had #50 rebuilt last year.

Retired units #45 & #46 were never rebuilt (to my knowledge).

This could be the reason for their early retirement.

45 was a cool bus.

It had a Detroit series 50 4 cylinder engine.

Cool sounding and torquey!!

It was the last of the retired buses to go.

Alhough retired at the same time as the others BT hung on to it for and extra year.

Just for a change of pace, here are three photographs I took in 1987.

brandon-BTS27d800B-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit System #27, a Flyer model D800B.

brandon-BTS37d901-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit System #37, a Flyer model D901.

brandon-BTS34orion01-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit System #34, an OBI Orion 01.

Just for a change of pace, here are three photographs I took in 1987.

attachicon.gifbrandon-BTS27d800B-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit System #27, a Flyer model D800B.

attachicon.gifbrandon-BTS37d901-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit System #37, a Flyer model D901.

attachicon.gifbrandon-BTS34orion01-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit System #34, an OBI Orion 01.

Nice Shots.....Brings back so many memories. I liked the Green and Cream colors on the Orion I's

You can see either #29 or #30 following #37 in #37's pic!

Two more shots from that 1987 trip...

attachicon.gifbrandon-BT40orionII-apr2007mar.jpg

Brandon Transit 40, an OBI Orion II.

attachicon.gifbrandon-BTSxxd700derilect-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit 16, a 1972 Flyer model D700A derelict in the Brandon Transit junkyard.

This is awesome seeing these old pics!!!

#16 was the first of the three D700A's retired. I remember it sitting in the city yard partly stripped.

At one time some of the original gas powered Old Look GMC's were sitting in the same yard. This would have been pre 1987. You wouldn't have any pics of those would you?

GMC #14 might still have been sitting in the yard unrestored in 1987. At that time it was dark green and had been used as the recreation bus back in the 1970's. It sat for many years in the north west corner of the city yard at the fence line.

Two more shots from that 1987 trip...

attachicon.gifbrandon-BT40orionII-apr2007mar.jpg

Brandon Transit 40, an OBI Orion II.

attachicon.gifbrandon-BTSxxd700derilect-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit 16, a 1972 Flyer model D700A derelict in the Brandon Transit junkyard.

Ahem! Hey DavidW, that Orion II picture was taken in March 2007 by me! (But thanks for posting your 1987 shots ... great old pictures! I can see myself background leaning against the building in one them!!)

Ahem! Hey DavidW, that Orion II picture was taken in March 2007 by me! (But thanks for posting your 1987 shots ... great old pictures! I can see myself background leaning against the building in one them!!)

Ummmm, duh! The date and photographer is in the file name. Silly mistake on my part. My apologies. Caption fixed...

At one time some of the original gas powered Old Look GMC's were sitting in the same yard. This would have been pre 1987. You wouldn't have any pics of those would you?

GMC #14 might still have been sitting in the yard unrestored in 1987. At that time it was dark green and had been used as the recreation bus back in the 1970's. It sat for many years in the north west corner of the city yard at the fence line.

Junkyard dogs...

brandon-BTS12+13gmolderilect-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit System 12 and 13, 1957 General Motors model TGH3102, derelict in 1987

brandon-BTS35gmolderilict-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit System 35, 1965 General Motors model TDH3501, derelict in 1987.

Ummmm, duh! The date and photographer is in the file name. Silly mistake on my part. My apologies. Caption fixed...

Junkyard dogs...

attachicon.gifbrandon-BTS12+13gmolderilect-daw1987.jpg

Brandon Transit System 12 and 13, 1957 General Motors model TGH3102, derelict in 1987

attachicon.gifbrandon-BTS35gmolderilict-daw1987.jpg

Wow.... This is awesome seeing these pics...

The Orion I shown in the first pic beside #12 could be #21. It was parked in that location for a while before it was brought back into service a few years later. For whatever reason BT retired #21 for a couple of years, then un retired it as a spare.

It now resides in Forrest MB as an Ice Cream Vending Kiosk. (You likely are aware of this!)

If not #21 it could be #24 It also spent time retired in that area with the engine & transmission removed and transplanted into #30.

The second photo of #35 is cool also. GMC#35 ended up at the MHTA bone yard along with GMC#52.

You can see two Retired Orion's parked behind #35. (21 & 24 or 24 & 26)

I cannot thank you enough for these photos!!!

Do you have any other Photos of the bone yard such as the two Orions behind#35?

Please, Please post them if you do. I'm reliving my childhood seeing them!

Ex Calgary Bus now BT #63 was operating today. I didn't get a good enough look to see the Calgary fleet #

#66 is the only remaining unit yet to be seen operating.

Do you think the ex-Calgary buses will be running tomorrow, Saturday?

Junkyard dogs...

attachicon.gifbrandon-BTS12+13gmolderilect-daw1987.jpg

attachicon.gifbrandon-BTS35gmolderilict-daw1987.jpg

Thanks! Great shots ... it was a fun trip was back in 1987!

I would say yes the Calgary units will be operating.

I've seen no less than two each day since last Monday, now #63 is operating so this means #62,63,64 & 65 are operating now.

I bet all 4 will be running Saturday.

Just waiting for #66!

This is killing me not being able to be there. Hopefully on the 8th after I get back from holidays I can get all sorts of pictures.

lol...it has been interesting....The Calgary buses "appear" to be in good shape and they sound cool!