Brandon Transit

BusRider

I would think that the easiest, shortest time frame and most cost-effective alternative for used buses on a short-term basis would be the Winnipeg D40s. But I'm not sure as to when the first deliveries of the 58 new XD40s to WT will occur. Based on the tender call for those buses, IIRC the first units were expected by April-May.

Brandon is a pretty well run transit system these days. Well run transit agencies essentially never buy used equipment, because it is a poor use of funds (insert save a penny, spend a dime analogy).

Aren't they in the midst of the purchasing process now?

My reference to buying used buses was based on strictly a short-term transition basis, while new buses are being ordered, built and delivered. There are posts above in this thread which indicated that BT was at times not making service with conventional buses, and having to use the accessible units instead.

Because the TTC isn't well known for reselling transit buses for continued service but Calgary does....

Nine years ago the ttc was about to give nine 1989/1990 93xx orion v cng buses along with mci classic 6291 to dominican republic. But got vandalized and sold to scrap and the country did not get them at all.

58 is out at RTB again, likely was being towed there the other day when i seen it being towed..

The right rear side panel is open exposing the batteries.

I wonder if they are dead. When I saw it being towed the engine was not running but all the interior lights were on.

Did the tow truck operator shut all the systems down before leaving the bus?

The front door was wide open and snow had blown into the bus.

Honestly for a 3 or 4 year old unit, it looked rough.

58 is out at RTB again, likely was being towed there the other day when i seen it being towed..

The right rear side panel is open exposing the batteries.

I wonder if they are dead. When I saw it being towed the engine was not running but all the interior lights were on.

Did the tow truck operator shut all the systems down before leaving the bus?

The front door was wide open and snow had blown into the bus.

Honestly for a 3 or 4 year old unit, it looked rough.

I believe you. I mean, the wraps on the rear of the buses look like absolute crap now that they're peeling and faded.

Anyway, I was out on Sunday and say that the buses had new radios in them.

58 is still at RTB repair.

It doesn't appear to have moved since last week however the right rear engine hatch is closed as well as the front door, unlike last week.

I wonder what the trouble is with it.

I haven't been out to ask any of the drivers.

Soo... Who has images of Brandon Transit Flyer D700A's and the earlier D800 40 footers? :)

Well, I wasn't alive in that era so that counts me out. Some of the Winnipeg guys might have a few.

Soo... Who has images of Brandon Transit Flyer D700A's and the earlier D800 40 footers? :)

The city had photo of Units 19 & 20 parked side by side when they were new but have know idea who would have a copy. These were 35 footers. The photo was used for a Brandon transit ad on our city map.

We only had one 40 foot D800, #18 and it used to be located in Dauphin Manitoba parked in a yard north of the town. I have no idea if it is still there.

As for the D700's I've never seen any photos of the three units we had.

The city had photo of Units 19 & 20 parked side by side when they were new but have know idea who would have a copy. These were 35 footers. The photo was used for a Brandon transit ad on our city map.

We only had one 40 foot D800, #18 and it used to be located in Dauphin Manitoba parked in a yard north of the town. I have no idea if it is still there.

As for the D700's I've never seen any photos of the three units we had.

Wasn't a D800 discovered up in Churchill? Is that possibly the same unit?

Wasn't a D800 discovered up in Churchill? Is that possibly the same unit?

Possible but not likely.

18 had been painted. Blue in color if I rememebr correctly. It's been a few years since traveling through Dauphin and be able to detour over to where it was parked.

That unit in churchill is still the Brandon Tansit Cream & Green color scheme. It's is likely either 19 or 20.

Possible but not likely.

18 had been painted. Blue in color if I rememebr correctly. It's been a few years since traveling through Dauphin and be able to detour over to where it was parked.

That unit in churchill is still the Brandon Tansit Cream & Green color scheme. It's is likely either 19 or 20.

I had been considering heading up to Dauphin to do some rail fanning with a friend from McCreary one of these weekends. I can get some pics of that while I'm there if I know where it's parked.

I had been considering heading up to Dauphin to do some rail fanning with a friend from McCreary one of these weekends. I can get some pics of that while I'm there if I know where it's parked.

This would be awesome!!!

You have to drive staight through town staying on the main drag. Keep following it as it goes into residential and turns east. Keep following it. You will come up to a yard on the north side of the road, this is where 18 was sitting the last time I saw it.

It's been years since seeing 18 who knows if it is still there.

I'm going on Google Earth to see what it shows.

River Ave. East is where it used to sit.

Google Earth Street view is from 2013 and 18 is no longer visible where it once sat. That is not to say it isn't still there. The area has changed from the last time I was up that way.

Well... shit hit the fan today.

49, 50 and 10 broke down during "rush hour". No ACC shuttle ran this afternoon to the best of my knowledge and route 20 didn't have a bus for about an hour today. Three Handi-Transit buses were out in fixed route service. One on 9/10, another on 20, and one on Industrial.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a story last night that Brandon Transit had arranged some substitute equipment from other parties. Has anyone in Brandon observed any services run with rented buses?

Not at this time, keeping an eye out.

There is also talk of buying used from Calgary. Not confirmed, but it is potentially in the works.