BusRider

Brandon Transit

On 10/2/2016 at 7:02 PM, BrianD said:

They moved EZ Rider 12 from the back lot up to the fuel pump area.

City vehicle auction time is approaching... I wonder if they will try and sell it as a usable unit.

If you see a maintenance employee walking out of Canadian Tire with an armload of duct tape then yes :P

• Like 4

BusRider   

Looks like the Brandon Sun confirmed some Calgary units will be sticking around.

http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-news/transit-terminal-upgrades-boost-safety-for-riders-drivers-city-rep-396254581.html?thx=y

" The Calgary-sourced buses will no longer be in regular use now, Richardson said, but rather used as back up when necessary. "

BrianD   
6 hours ago, BusRider said:

Looks like the Brandon Sun confirmed some Calgary units will be sticking around.

http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-news/transit-terminal-upgrades-boost-safety-for-riders-drivers-city-rep-396254581.html?thx=y

" The Calgary-sourced buses will no longer be in regular use now, Richardson said, but rather used as back up when necessary. "

Unfortunately the link doesn't show the full article unless you have a subscription....

Wise decision to keep a couple of the CT units operational. (65 & 66)

I bet they are keeping 62 as a parts unit.

BusRider   

Full Article

Transit terminal upgrades boost safety for riders, drivers: city rep

By: Matt Goerzen

Friday, Oct. 7, 2016

Brandon Mayor Rick Chrest speaks to a small crowd of city employees and media assembled to cut the ribbon for the new downtown Brandon Transit terminal at Eighth Street and Rosser Avenue on Thursday.

MATT GOERZEN/THE BRANDON SUN

Brandon Mayor Rick Chrest speaks to a small crowd of city employees and media assembled to cut the ribbon for the new downtown Brandon Transit terminal at Eighth Street and Rosser Avenue on Thursday.

With the snip of a bright-red ribbon that was hung in one of four new Brandon Transit buses, Brandon Mayor Rick Chrest officially opened the city’s new downtown bus terminal yesterday morning.

"This is the hub of the entire transit system," Chrest said yesterday. "They all have to arrive here and leave here. This is where people change buses, transfer, etc. It’s very important that we have proper infrastructure that can handle these large vehicles, and that it’s a safe and pleasing environment for drivers and passengers alike."

Brandon Mayor Rick Chrest prepares to cut the ribbon on the new downtown Brandon bus terminal at Eighth Street and Rosser Avenue Thursday. The ribbon was placed in the door of one of four new city transit buses that began operation earlier this year.

Enlarge Image

Brandon Mayor Rick Chrest prepares to cut the ribbon on the new downtown Brandon bus terminal at Eighth Street and Rosser Avenue Thursday. The ribbon was placed in the door of one of four new city transit buses that began operation earlier this year. (MATT GOERZEN/THE BRANDON SUN)

Though the terminal, located at Eighth Street and Rosser Avenue, has been open and operating for the last several weeks, Brandon Transit and the city wanted to give the $350,000 project its due — especially after the amount of planning and work that went into managing the bus fleet’s temporary terminal along Rosser, while the new terminal’s construction was underway over the summer.

"It’s not ideal to Park on Rosser or Pacific, and we try not to do that," the city’s director of transportation Carla Richardson told the Sun yesterday. "There were safety concerns. There would be people who would run between buses. There’s nothing we can do about that."

But in terms of safety, Richardson said the new terminal mall is a big improvement from the former facility.

"We redesigned the entry for the buses and we’ve resigned it with the stop signs, trying to keep other vehicular traffic out of this area so that it’s buses exclusively — the three-way stop on Pacific," she said. "And just making sure that for motoring traffic and pedestrian traffic it’s as safe as it can be. The signage has made it easier for people to know where the buses are going to be staging, and which one they need to catch and where it parks."

Yesterday’s official ceremony also allowed for an up-close look at the city’s newest buses, which have been in use now for a short time, and replaced the four Calgary-sourced used buses that were purchased more than a year ago when a few in the fleet went down prematurely.

The Calgary-sourced buses will no longer be in regular use now, Richardson said, but rather used as back up when necessary.

» mgoerzen@brandonsun.com

» Twitter: @MattGoerzen

Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition October 7, 2016

BrianD   

Went by the city yard today.

Two CT units, EZ Rider 12 along with numerous other city vehicles have been moved to the south side of the large Quonset shed.

I cannot get close enough to see which CT units are there but likely 62 & 66.

66 had been parked inside the bus garage for at least a couple of weeks and appeared to not have been used or moved. (Always in the exact same spot by the garage inner east roll up door)

So at this point only one CT unit is likely still on active stand by duty, most probable unit is 65...

Will confirm all of this as I find out.

BrianD   

I have not seen 52 out and about and it does not appear to be a Maxim Truck....

BT seems to be somewhat boring now that the CT units are unused now....

I applied for a job with the city of Brandon....Bus Washer/Cleaner and Refuel-er...Job requirements are a class five license with an air brake endorsement....I have my air brake learners and class one learners so I figured what the heck, apply because you never know...the pay isn't to bad...almost as much as a driver...

• Like 1

On 10/20/2016 at 7:10 PM, BrianD said:

BT seems to be somewhat boring now that the CT units are unused now....

Well, we all knew that was going to be short lived.....   Those CT 1993 D40LF's probably got more use in Brandon than the last 7 years they spent in operation with CT doing for the most part, peak hour extras / School runs.

• Like 1

BrianD   
1 hour ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

Well, we all knew that was going to be short lived.....   Those CT 1993 D40LF's probably got more use in Brandon than the last 7 years they spent in operation with CT doing for the most part, peak hour extras / School runs.

#65 (CT 7528) might still be in revenue service but cannot confirm this..."yet"

2 of the remaining 3 CT units can be seen parked way out back in the city yard, 62 (CT 7504) & likely 66 (CT7529)....

63 (CT 7519) & 64 (CT 7527) are at the local auto wreckers.

All of them appeared to run and operate good.

BusRider   

I asked a friend of mine that works at the garage and a few weeks ago he said they were cleaning out behind the shop. I believe whatever is still left there may be for parts, though he doesn't know for sure because he's not in transit.

BrianD   

Well all three former Calgary units  (62,65 &66) are parked out back at the city yard along with EZ Rider 12 and one DLFR...

I'm curious as to why such a new bus (DLFR) is way out back....Next time I drive by I'll take my binoculars to see what fleet number it is.

BrianD   
On 2016-10-26 at 4:04 PM, BrianD said:

Well all three former Calgary units  (62,65 &66) are parked out back at the city yard along with EZ Rider 12 and one DLFR...

I'm curious as to why such a new bus (DLFR) is way out back....Next time I drive by I'll take my binoculars to see what fleet number it is.

I am mistaken with the above statement...

65 is not packed out back and very well may still be parked inside as a spare.

There is no DLFR parked out back.

The way they have the retired units parked when viewed from different view points it appeared there was three Calgary units parked but today I used binoculars and this is not the case...only 62 & 66 are there along with EZ Rider 12.

BusRider   

Not quite Brandon Transit but I'm surprised this made the paper.

http://www.brandonsun.com/local/classic-transit-bus-makes-local-stop-en-route-to-toronto-399766921.html?thx=y

Classic transit bus makes local stop en route to Toronto

By: Ian Froese

Thursday, Nov. 3, 2016

Jason Shron, Dan Darnell and Jordan Smith, who are driving a classic GM New Look bus through three provinces, stop in Brandon on Wednesday. They painted it to look like the former transit buses gracing Toronto’s streets.

SUBMITTED Enlarge Image

Jason Shron, Dan Darnell and Jordan Smith, who are driving a classic GM New Look bus through three provinces, stop in Brandon on Wednesday. They painted it to look like the former transit buses gracing Toronto’s streets.

Jason Shron and his classic bus rolling across the Prairies have earned admiration from drivers — and, in one case, confusion.

At one point, Shron flipped the destination sign to read Islington Avenue, a street in Toronto.

A man at the station told Shron: "I thought I was dreaming. I’m filling up my car with gas and I see my old bus sitting in the gas station."

Shron has turned many heads from Calgary to Brandon — maxing at 92 km/h — with his outfitted GM New Look bus, painted like the Toronto transit buses of yesteryear. His three-province jaunt stopped in Brandon on Wednesday.

More than 44,000 of the buses, referred to as a "Fishbowl" for its rounded windshield, were built. They comprised the transit fleets of Toronto and Winnipeg, among many centres, but not Brandon, he explained. They were the standard transit ride in many places in the 1970s and 1980s.

The Thornhill, Ont., native, who designs model trains and buses for a living, stumbled upon this bus, which was built in 1967, for cheap. Able to afford the asking price, Shron pounced.

He had the bus painted like Toronto’s former fleet, and flew into Calgary to begin driving east with two of his employees at Rapido Trains.

"It’s so much fun to be in control of this vehicle and drive down city streets or down the highway," he said.

It drives beautifully, even if the steering doesn’t come easily.

"It’s got no power steering and it’s 40-feet long. To try and turn this thing, we’ll have to build up strong arms, I tell you."

Shron, 41, said driving a classic bus was always something he wanted to do.

"I completely forgot that this was my initial dream. When I was planning this trip I grabbed a picture of me ... inspecting a 1970s bus and I realized that I had actually planned to do this as a teenager."

He’s always been a train guy at heart, evidenced by the life-size piece of a VIA Rail train he built in his basement.

Driving a bus, he realized as a teenager, was a more reasonable dream.

"Here I am, saying it’s practical. No one else in their right mind would say that," Shron said. "We can go anywhere with it."

Shron expects to arrive in Winnipeg today. He hopes to hit Ontario car shows next year to talk about model trains and buses.

» ifroese@brandonsun.com

» Twitter: @ianfroese

Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition November 3, 2016

• Like 2

BusRider   

Paid a visit to Brandon over the weekend. A very bare bones service was running today due to the snowstorm. 65 was still by the pumps with plates.

• Like 2

BrianD   

Well after months of being parked by the fuel pumps, 65 has been moved. It is nowhere to be seen outside in the yard.

Nothing else going on with BT other than I have noticed a couple of the DFLR's pushing a lot of black smoke while accelerating.

BrianD   

Well after a number of months parked, former CT unit 65 is back on active duty :D

Today it is running on route 21...it looked great and sounded sweet.

I wonder why all of a sudden it's on duty again.

I have also noticed 49, (which is a spare bus) being used quite a lot lately.

Most if not all of the DFLR's are operating, I have not seen 50 (also a spare bus) lately and something else I've noticed is the Nova's don't seem to be on duty as much.

Whatever the reason for 65 to be operating again it was awesome seeing and listening to it accelerate from a stop, that 6V92 was singing it's tune so sweetly :D:D

BrianD   

Well 65 has reclaimed it's outside parking spot near the fuel pumps in the city yard.

Guess BT required 65's services for a couple of weeks...nice to have seem them use

it recently.

Trevor   

Saskatoon Transit bus now parked behind the Brandon Civic Services Complex.  It came in on Friday.  The number on the bus in 0604 and has all of the advertising still on it.  I work for the City out of the Civic Services Complex, so I see a lot of what's happening there.   

25 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Saskatoon Transit bus now parked behind the Brandon Civic Services Complex.  It came in on Friday.  The number on the bus in 0604 and has all of the advertising still on it.  I work for the City out of the Civic Services Complex, so I see a lot of what's happening there.   

Is it there for repair or is Brandon transit having a look at it?