Brandon Transit

BusRider

I had a driver at the store a few days ago. I asked him how he liked the new units that were aquired in 2010.

He didn't comment much about them but he did say he doesn't like the Easy Riders...lol

He told me they have poor air circulation and when the air conditioning craps out yout roast...lol

If the city is replacing them maybe they will sell cheap at auction. Might be interesting to purchase one for the right price.

I made the mistake of going for a ride on the industrial on one of the EzRiders. Not enough room in those things, plus the heat was shot so it never really warmed up. The driver I was talking to was quite ready to get rid of them.

Does anyone know if the new units will be XD35? I assume they won't be more EZ Rider II Max 30'.

XD35's very well could be what we get. Nova doesn't really offer anything smaller, and transit might stay away from anything medium duty. The tender hasn't been posted yet, but I'll keep checking back.

• 2 weeks later...

Both 49 and 50 were out yesterday. 49 was having problems with a low oil light early in the afternoon, but didn't get changed off until 6:00pm due to having no spare buses.

Also, rumour on the street is five Nova's for the next order according to some mechanics and drivers. I'm not really sure about how true that is with Nova only offering 40ft and 60ft buses. I can't see that replacing 30ft buses.

The cost of operating a thirty, thirty-five, and forty foot bus is almost the same - based on BC Transit's experiences. Brandon doesn't have any routes that inherently require a shorter bus due to turning radius. Curious to see what comes of this order! Been quite a while since an in-service Nova was in Brandon. New delivery units to Western agencies often fueled and snacked on Highway One of course!

Both 49 and 50 were out yesterday. 49 was having problems with a low oil light early in the afternoon, but didn't get changed off until 6:00pm due to having no spare buses.

Also, rumour on the street is five Nova's for the next order according to some mechanics and drivers. I'm not really sure about how true that is with Nova only offering 40ft and 60ft buses. I can't see that replacing 30ft buses.

Maybe they will have to fire up the 1957 GMC Coach #14...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Heard on the scanner today that transit was completely out of spare buses. Both handi and regular transit.

Edit: Just saw a Handi Transit bus on route 20 go past my place.

Funny you mention this.

Last evening I saw #58 getting towed up 18th st and turned on to Richmond.

It was out at RTB trucking a couple of weeks back for repairs.

It seems these newer model Flyers are less reliable than the MCI's they replaced...lol

BT never seemed to run out of spare buses in those days!

Funny you mention this.

Last evening I saw #58 getting towed up 18th st and turned on to Richmond.

It was out at RTB trucking a couple of weeks back for repairs.

It seems these newer model Flyers are less reliable than the MCI's they replaced...lol

BT never seemed to run out of spare buses in those days!

Mechanically the MCI's were solid, but the frames were in such rough shape... the way the floor moved separate from the rest of the bus.

I hear the New Flyers aren't getting enough time in the shops due to Sunday bus service. Also they can't seem to hire new mechanics... which doesn't really surprise me because the wage is apparently lower than most other shops around town. Too bad there wasn't another $100,000+ just lying around for a mechanic to be dedicated to transit... oh... wait. Did we really need cameras in the buses or those phone box things that the drivers don't use anyway or the retrofit of the full seatbelts that annoy the hell out of the drivers but they have to wear them because safety (but it's fine if I stand at the front for 3 hours). What do I know though.

Then again this is management that thinks that 90 people can fit in an EzRider. True story, late night industrial overload, they didn't want to send out an extra bus.

I'm just wondering, how much funding does Brandon Transit get from: the city, the province and if applicable, the federal government?

I know there was about $4.9 Million from the city for the department of transportation which is both the airport and transit. The city is having trouble keeping mechanics due to them not offering competitive wages.

Mabe you guys should buy a couple MCI's from Calgary just incase

I wish. :P

I know there was about $4.9 Million from the city for the department of transportation which is both the airport and transit. The city is having trouble keeping mechanics due to them not offering competitive wages.

I wish. :P

Yes something with a 2 stroke Detroit.

Brandon is (somewhat) close to the Saskatchewan oil industry which is growing, and the town has a surprisingly high cost for housing / rent. Like someone spread mentioned this looks like it has less to do with the fleet make up, and more to do with vehicle availability.

Since I moved last summer there's a new Mayor. Do they seem pro-transit?

How about our Orion Vs's from ttc as their being retired.

Beaver Bus Lines may be interested... seeing as they buy anything ex-GO Transit in terms of Orions. Still though, would they last long out here? I don't know much about the Orion line of buse's, but their Orion I's lasted ages out in Manitoba.

I've seen alot of these ex-California diesel buses being spread around the continent... how much are those D40LF's and D30LF's? And any significant hurdles to bring them to Brandon?