Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

10 hours ago, Toro said:

Did ttc operate the largest Orion NG Diesel fleet in the world or are there systems with more then 120?

Not to take away from your question, I heard TTC operated the largest Orion VI fleet as well?

1 hour ago, FlyerD901 said:

Not to take away from your question, I heard TTC operated the largest Orion VI fleet as well?

They definitely did not. Pace (suburban Chicago) had over 150 Orion VIs in their fleet.

12 hours ago, Toro said:

Did ttc operate the largest Orion NG Diesel fleet in the world or are there systems with more then 120?

It might be possible that TTC's fleet is the largest. Other large operators I can think of:

• MTA NYC only ordered 90 of the diesel NGs as part of their test fleet; most of their VIIs were hybrids or CNG.
  • NICE/MTA Long Island had 140 NGs plus 45 EPA10s, but they were all CNG not diesel.
  • New Orleans has 114 diesel NGs plus 8 diesel EPA10s, smaller than TTC.
  • OC Transpo had 177 hybrid NGs.

I can't think of many other large operators of Orion VII NGs, so it seems like with your narrow specifications (NG model, not OG/EPA10, and not hybrid/CNG), TTC seems likely to be the largest operator of diesel Orion VII NG buses.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Who needs to manage the service properly when people can check the app for bunched vehicles and large gaps before they go out the door? The technology is there! Getting stuck waiting is all on you.

Things started working again late last night/early this morning.

9 hours ago, Articulated said:

They definitely did not. Pace (suburban Chicago) had over 150 Orion VIs in their fleet.

It might be possible that TTC's fleet is the largest. Other large operators I can think of:

• MTA NYC only ordered 90 of the diesel NGs as part of their test fleet; most of their VIIs were hybrids or CNG.
  • NICE/MTA Long Island had 140 NGs plus 45 EPA10s, but they were all CNG not diesel.
  • New Orleans has 114 diesel NGs plus 8 diesel EPA10s, smaller than TTC.
  • OC Transpo had 177 hybrid NGs.

I can't think of many other large operators of Orion VII NGs, so it seems like with your narrow specifications (NG model, not OG/EPA10, and not hybrid/CNG), TTC seems likely to be the largest operator of diesel Orion VII NG buses.

There's also a US agency (forgot the name) that ordered NG with the 3G rear or was the it the other way around? Are those NGs or 3Gs?

On 6/28/2024 at 2:05 PM, WoodbineSecondExit said:

It's still out on day 6. Do the prediction displays in the stations still work?

It's back now (not sure if it was Saturday or late Friday). But the prediction displays were also out.

However the texting stop numbers and the TTC website itself still worked. I'm not sure why the TTC displays seems to use different protocols than the TTC texting/website.

Had a question regarding the electric only operation of the TTC’s Novabus and New Flyer HEVs:

I’ve been noticing recently that most of these buses have been operating on electric power only when in stations (noticed this at Finch, Don Mills, Sheppard-Yonge, and Pioneer Village).  Is this because the TTC has started implementing geofencing stations for EV only operation, or is this something the operators do themselves?

16 minutes ago, TTC7447 said:

Had a question regarding the electric only operation of the TTC’s Novabus and New Flyer HEVs:

I’ve been noticing recently that most of these buses have been operating on electric power only when in stations (noticed this at Finch, Don Mills, Sheppard-Yonge, and Pioneer Village).  Is this because the TTC has started implementing geofencing stations for EV only operation, or is this something the operators do themselves?

They're geofenced, same applies to bus garages

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, TTC7447 said:

I noticed that at Ossington as well. Some ran full EV in and out of the station.

Fwiw, i recall a nova lfs hev doing this going west on 512 just as it left the outside stop at St. Clair West station. 

After the automatic engine shut off during loading, I noticed that the engine didn't restart until well past Bathurst.

I've noticed more than a few of the trains on Line 2 still have the overhead system map with Line 3 on them nearly a year after the line shut down.  Is there a way to legally get one of these?  I've been tempted to help speed up the change to the map without Line 3 by simply removing it (depending on how easy it is to do).  I see one at least once a week. 

There's a likely chance Line 6 will open up before they can take all of the oldest maps down!  Not sure about Line 5 though, but there will likely still be a hodgepodge of maps on the trains kinda like detour notices still being up long after the detour has ended.  The Line 1 trains all seem to have the same updated map with Line 3 removed.

1 hour ago, Gil said:

I've noticed more than a few of the trains on Line 2 still have the overhead system map with Line 3 on them nearly a year after the line shut down.  Is there a way to legally get one of these?  I've been tempted to help speed up the change to the map without Line 3 by simply removing it (depending on how easy it is to do).  I see one at least once a week. 

There's a likely chance Line 6 will open up before they can take all of the oldest maps down!  Not sure about Line 5 though, but there will likely still be a hodgepodge of maps on the trains kinda like detour notices still being up long after the detour has ended.  The Line 1 trains all seem to have the same updated map with Line 3 removed.

Why don't you contact ttc customer service directly and see if they can do something for you

Speaking of Line 2...

How come the TTC does not offer a parallel daytime bus service like the 97 YONGE for Line 1 and 85J SHEPPARD EAST for Line 4? Could that be possible if they extend the 113 DANFORTH to Broadview and 49 BLOOR WEST to Dundas West/Keele? Perhaps a parallel BLOOR-DANFORTH local bus running from Jane to Main Street could run every 20 minutes can also help overcrowding at Bloor-Yonge during rush hours.

28 minutes ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Speaking of Line 2...

How come the TTC does not offer a parallel daytime bus service like the 97 YONGE for Line 1 and 85J SHEPPARD EAST for Line 4? Could that be possible if they extend the 113 DANFORTH to Broadview and 49 BLOOR WEST to Dundas West/Keele? Perhaps a parallel BLOOR-DANFORTH local bus running from Jane to Main Street could run every 20 minutes can also help overcrowding at Bloor-Yonge during rush hours.

Nothing will help with overcrowding at that location. Plus ridership levels are below pre covid. And with the bike lanes, you'll just add more stress on TTC for on time performance. The 300 buses was struggling at night and brad Bradford had to put in motion to find ways to make it easier for buses to get through when he was on TTC board. 

A bus every 20 minutes (as if they would actually come that reliably anyway) would do nothing to ease crowding on the subway, where the capacity of a train is 1000+. Bus, low-floor, sixty maybe?

The parallel routes are generally there for accessibility in the more downtown parts of the route. I guess in theory Bloor-Danforth stations had more escalators from the get-go than the original Yonge line. And out in the burbs where the stops are 1 km apart if you are lucky (Bessarion, NYC) and 2 km otherwise, the subway line is not providing a local service anyway.

The central part of Line 2 from roughly Jane to Victoria Park have fairly closely spaced stops that don't necessarily need a parallel bus service.  As has been pointed out, traffic volume and the ever-lengthening bike lanes mean bus service wouldn't get very far unless they were given a very generous run time to make even one trip!  With the 97 YONGE bus that has branches that enter some stations, would a Bloor-Danforth bus do the same or stay entirely on the street requiring a walking transfer from the subway?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

Historical vehicles. TTC wants to donate two Orion buses to HCRR

That’s not what the page says. HCRR declined and two buses would be kept by the TTC.

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, 2044 said:

That’s not what the page says. HCRR declined and two buses would be kept by the TTC.

Yup. Totally didn't read it properly. 

They're focus on rail and respectfully declined the Orion bus from TTC.