Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

On 11/26/2022 at 9:33 AM, smallspy said:

Another thing to consider.....

All buses built since the mid-1990s have had traction control. Older buses, such as Fishbowls, did not. That alone will help greatly.

Dan

So the last buses without ABS are the D40-90's and Classics? I believe the 97 Orion V's did have ABS but primitive. Did the RTS' have ABS?

On 11/26/2022 at 9:33 AM, smallspy said:

Another thing to consider.....

All buses built since the mid-1990s have had traction control. Older buses, such as Fishbowls, did not. That alone will help greatly.

Dan

In my experience with cars, traction control helps until it doesn't, which is when the system feels there's too much wheelspin and basically shuts you down. I find myself turning off traction control when the snow gets deep enough, and especially when pulling out of a snowy parking spot. It may be different with buses, but I don't know of any reason why it would be.

I do agree that if the vehicle can keep moving while traction control is active, then that's going to keep it going much better. Spinning wheels have less traction than rolling wheels. Probably with something as big and heavy as a bus, if traction control shuts you down, you probably aren't going anywhere anyway, and certainly not safely.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

In my experience with cars, traction control helps until it doesn't, which is when the system feels there's too much wheelspin and basically shuts you down. I find myself turning off traction control when the snow gets deep enough, and especially when pulling out of a snowy parking spot. It may be different with buses, but I don't know of any reason why it would be.

I do agree that if the vehicle can keep moving while traction control is active, then that's going to keep it going much better. Spinning wheels have less traction than rolling wheels. Probably with something as big and heavy as a bus, if traction control shuts you down, you probably aren't going anywhere anyway, and certainly not safely.

Better to call for a tow or a dig out than to keep going and explode the differential, then call for a tow anyway.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed lately, how some of the public on the TTC have become so shameless, bold, and brazen, that they board subway trains with boombox speakers, microphones, and treat the transit property as if it is a sold out 50 Cent rap performance at the Scotiabank Arena?

I seen it happen 3 times in the past month, all of the occurrences being on the Bloor-Danforth line. 

The first time, a homeless female boarded the train with a boombox speaker and mic in tow, and actually proceeded to sing to try and make other passengers give her change..... 

The following time, 3 scumbags were playing electric guitars onboard the train with boombox speakers , and holy f***, it was so loud and unbearable. I had to move to another train car to get away from that. 

And the other day, on the eastbound platform at Spadina station, a scumbag was actually blasting very obscene rap lyrics with a boombox, which made the platform feel as if it was some shady nightclub in downtown Toronto rather than a transit station.

No shame, and no regard for others as well. Contrary to what those scumbags think, other passengers do not need to hear and see such shameless behavior,  and most certainly do not need to endure extremely loud noise from a boombox speaker in an enclosed space..... not to mention hearing extremely obscene rap lyrics where every second or third word is an expletive... SMDH

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Has anyone noticed lately, how some of the public on the TTC have become so shameless, bold, and brazen, that they board subway trains with boombox speakers, microphones, and treat the transit property as if it is a sold out 50 Cent rap performance at the Scotiabank Arena?

I seen it happen 3 times in the past month, all of the occurrences being on the Bloor-Danforth line. 

The first time, a homeless female boarded the train with a boombox speaker and mic in tow, and actually proceeded to sing to try and make other passengers give her change..... 

The following time, 3 scumbags were playing electric guitars onboard the train with boombox speakers , and holy f***, it was so loud and unbearable. I had to move to another train car to get away from that. 

And the other day, on the eastbound platform at Spadina station, a scumbag was actually blasting very obscene rap lyrics with a boombox, which made the platform feel as if it was some shady nightclub in downtown Toronto rather than a transit station.

No shame, and no regard for others as well. Contrary to what those scumbags think, other passengers do not need to hear and see such shameless behavior,  and most certainly do not need to endure extremely loud noise from a boombox speaker in an enclosed space..... not to mention hearing extremely obscene rap lyrics where every second or third word is an expletive... SMDH

The "homeless" boombox and mic singers are actually most likely working together, from what I've seen. I recall vividly being at Bloor-Yonge station twice, 3 hours apart, and on the platform, in the same location, were two different people (each time), each one with a different sob story but with the same equipment. I alerted the TTC as to my findings, but it doesn't look like anything has been done.

These idiots are the reason why classist attitudes against the homeless who need help are not going away, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

I’ve seen worse. Including a fight on the GO Train back in October 

15 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Were they at least taking requests?

Extremely efficient Class D amplification.  Extremely efficient speakers with rare earth magnets.  Extremely high energy density rechargeable batteries.  What a deadly trifecta of technologies to become affordable, allowing people to blast noise incredibly loudly with an astonishingly long running time before running out of juice.

We've come so far.  This is a level of public disturbance that even the most obnoxious 1980s skateboard riding jerk with a giant ghettoblaster on the shoulder loaded up with a ton of shoplifted D batteries could ever dream of.

• Haha 2

On 12/5/2022 at 7:03 PM, SGTP1000 said:

Not sure if you can tell, but they gave 3600 the plastic seats💀

C52D2295-5A03-4808-B5D8-45732650D3D4.jpeg

I know TTC management is absolutely stupid and brainless, but if they're actually going ahead with this even WITH all the negative feedback they've received then there's no other words that can be used to describe their ineptitude.

15 hours ago, lip said:

I know TTC management is absolutely stupid and brainless, but if they're actually going ahead with this even WITH all the negative feedback they've received then there's no other words that can be used to describe their ineptitude.

Cost, cleaning, maintenance, vandalism deterrent isn’t exactly ineptitude. It’s understanding cloth seats aren’t working. They’re not the first agency to switch over and won’t be the last 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Cost, cleaning, maintenance, vandalism deterrent isn’t exactly ineptitude. It’s understanding cloth seats aren’t working. They’re not the first agency to switch over and won’t be the last 

The cloth seats are actually called Moquette's!

1 hour ago, ZümmyZüm said:

As far as vandalism deterrence goes, no matter what the TTC does, the scumbags will always find a way to vandalize the seats. 

8 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Random not-quite-transit question: how far ahead of time do you have to be to check aboard a VIA train? I plan to take GO to Union and then VIA. VIA's website has nothing about check-in times, or even procedures, as far as I can see!

Pre pandemic they just scan tickets around half an hour before departure and you climb the stairs to board like GO trains. 

2 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Pre pandemic they just scan tickets around half an hour before departure and you climb the stairs to board like GO trains. 

Thanks. I'm going to Union via GO. Choice of arriving (according to schedule) 32 minutes or 62 minutes prior to VIA departure time, I might go for the earlier GO just to be safe.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Thanks. I'm going to Union via GO. Choice of arriving (according to schedule) 32 minutes or 62 minutes prior to VIA departure time, I might go for the earlier GO just to be safe.

The earlier, the better in case your train to reach Union gets delayed. There is a long lineup prior to departure to manage passenger flow. 

Half an hour prior to departure time is recommended. Though, I would recommend you come earlier than that to ensure you know which platform to board. Each platform sign will show the destination along with station stops along the corridor like Ottawa/Montreal and the stops in-between. Plus you also need time if coming from the Go Train to transfer to the Via-Rail platforms. If you want to try and connect as close to the Via Concourse from the Go Train, be around the middle of the train is your best bet.

I know when I did my transfer from Go Train to Via-Rail, I was around the 6th car and able to connect directly to the concourse with minimal walking with my luggage.

23 hours ago, lip said:

I'm not a fan either but it just makes more sense from a maintenance perspective. Cost, cleaning/sanitization, vandalism etc. these all hold a lot more importance coming out of the pandemic. 

It's done in Montreal and agencies in Europe have been doing it for ages.

14 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

Yes, they had some 1981-1983 GM new looks in service until december 2011.

According to the driver who drove 2252 back in September (for the Hillcrest shuttle), they were still in great condition at the time of the final retirement, although that may have been a function of the number of rebuilds they received over their long lives.

On another note, why do the diesel LFSes often completely shut off in the middle of the route, requiring a restart? I've noticed this has been happening more often these days.

7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

As suggested by others, aim for the 62 min one which gives you time. There might be a large volume of people traveling for the holiday season. You'll find people more organize for traveling along the Toronto/Montreal corridor as these are usually students and business travelers. The Canadian Line however would be a massive lineup waiting 2 hours as these are people on vacation ready for their multiday adventures.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Random not-quite-transit question: how far ahead of time do you have to be to check aboard a VIA train? I plan to take GO to Union and then VIA. VIA's website has nothing about check-in times, or even procedures, as far as I can see!

There is no required check-in time.

I have arrived at Union 120 seconds before the departure of my train before. I wouldn't recommend doing that, but it can be done.

Dan

• Haha 1