Jump to content

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions


Orion V
 Share

Recommended Posts

A strange subway closure has been announced for Friday, September 16, from 1:30xm until the end of service.

All of Line 1 will be closed to facilitate the commissioning of ATC from Eglinton to Finch (I assume). From St. George to Bloor-Yonge, shuttle buses will operate both ways. From St. George to Vaughan, southbound trains only with northbound shuttle buses. From Bloor-Yonge to Finch, southbound trains only with northbound shuttle buses.

Why are southbound trains still operating? I assume that there will be a lot of confusion about whether passengers going north from downtown will need to transfer at St. George or Bloor-Yonge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

A strange subway closure has been announced for Friday, September 16, from 1:30xm until the end of service.

All of Line 1 will be closed to facilitate the commissioning of ATC from Eglinton to Finch (I assume). From St. George to Bloor-Yonge, shuttle buses will operate both ways. From St. George to Vaughan, southbound trains only with northbound shuttle buses. From Bloor-Yonge to Finch, southbound trains only with northbound shuttle buses.

Why are southbound trains still operating? I assume that there will be a lot of confusion about whether passengers going north from downtown will need to transfer at St. George or Bloor-Yonge.

In normal situations, at the end of service most of the trains run northbound to Finch and then deadhead back south to Wilson Yard. There's something like 40 minutes of trains deadheading back south after the last southbound service train at 1.35.

 

What they seem to be doing is cutting off the last hour of service northbound. Those trains leading up to the last service train southbound will have already made it past Bloor before the cutoff, so they're going to operate southbound as they normally would in service.

 

Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

In normal situations, at the end of service most of the trains run northbound to Finch and then deadhead back south to Wilson Yard. There's something like 40 minutes of trains deadheading back south after the last southbound service train at 1.35.

 

What they seem to be doing is cutting off the last hour of service northbound. Those trains leading up to the last service train southbound will have already made it past Bloor before the cutoff, so they're going to operate southbound as they normally would in service.

 

Dan

Doesn't mater, the closure has been CANCELLED 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Rolling a bunch of errands into a loop has found me sitting on the Ossington bus.  It’s a bus line I’ve never needed to use and eventually I realized the last time I was on 63 Ossington, it was still a trolley bus.  Then I realized the same is true of a couple of the others that were trolley buses out of Lansdowne.  Yikes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've heard on the TTC radio numerous times, that when there's a GO Protocol when they let GO passengers transfer free onto the TTC due to a major GO delay, the radio dispatch asks the station staff to "count heads", how many GO passengers are going thru.

What are they doing this for, is it to get reimbursed by Metrolinx somehow? That would be rather arbitrary and probably a pittance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

I think I saw one last week at the back of Mount Dennis Garage by the Weston Sub along with other busses that looked to be retired as well.

They're probably not gonna scrap em, are they? Maybe sell them somewhere down south where the temperatures don't matter. I mean they are barely a couple years old, heh.

But if the TTC is ready to retire them, then a lot of us were pretty right that it was a horrible idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, MK78 said:

But if the TTC is ready to retire them, then a lot of us were pretty right that it was a horrible idea.

Denzil Minnen-Wong thought it was an absolutely fantastic idea though, which coming from him means absolutely nothing since he's one of the worst city councilors in this city's history.

At least he's finally getting out of city politics so there's one less idiot to generate an idea like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2022 at 2:41 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

It would be sad if they are done as they barely even operated. Seems like a fail experiment.
 

BYD has a successful reputation in china for building electric buses. I'm not sure why they would spend all that money building a factory in Canada to sell junk. 

Might be a quality control issue at the plant in Newmarket.  

Are the Proterra's doing better? 

Frame cracking with SEPTA's fleet was considered "cosmetic". 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/whyy.org/articles/septas-cracking-battery-buses-raise-questions-about-the-future-of-electric-transit/amp/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Shaun said:

BYD has a successful reputation in china for building electric buses. I'm not sure why they would spend all that money building a factory in Canada to sell junk. 

Might be a quality control issue at the plant in Newmarket. 

There's a reason why a lot of domestic China vehicles aren't sold outside of their domestic market, or a few neighboring countries or countries with poor or no safety oversight.

Folks there put up with sub par quality because you don't exactly have a lot of options there to complain.

But getting back to here, I think the decision to purchase buses with non standard charging infrastructure was the worst part of it, because it would mean only keeping them confined to one garage, or have duplicate charging infrastructures in multiple garages.

Thankfully it was only 10 buses and not the original 20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

BYD has a successful reputation in china for building electric buses. I'm not sure why they would spend all that money building a factory in Canada to sell junk. 

Might be a quality control issue at the plant in Newmarket.  

Are the Proterra's doing better? 

Frame cracking with SEPTA's fleet was considered "cosmetic". 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/whyy.org/articles/septas-cracking-battery-buses-raise-questions-about-the-future-of-electric-transit/amp/

Proterra seems to be better now but they are longer than 40 foot so unless they come up with a new design, they are out. Plus both don't have stainless steel frames.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...