Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Rolling a bunch of errands into a loop has found me sitting on the Ossington bus.  It’s a bus line I’ve never needed to use and eventually I realized the last time I was on 63 Ossington, it was still a trolley bus.  Then I realized the same is true of a couple of the others that were trolley buses out of Lansdowne.  Yikes.

I've heard on the TTC radio numerous times, that when there's a GO Protocol when they let GO passengers transfer free onto the TTC due to a major GO delay, the radio dispatch asks the station staff to "count heads", how many GO passengers are going thru.

What are they doing this for, is it to get reimbursed by Metrolinx somehow? That would be rather arbitrary and probably a pittance.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:44 PM, Keee said:

Do all BYD buses retire? Have not seen them for a while....

I think I saw one last week at the back of Mount Dennis Garage by the Weston Sub along with other busses that looked to be retired as well.

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

I think I saw one last week at the back of Mount Dennis Garage by the Weston Sub along with other busses that looked to be retired as well.

They're probably not gonna scrap em, are they? Maybe sell them somewhere down south where the temperatures don't matter. I mean they are barely a couple years old, heh.

But if the TTC is ready to retire them, then a lot of us were pretty right that it was a horrible idea.

22 hours ago, MK78 said:

But if the TTC is ready to retire them, then a lot of us were pretty right that it was a horrible idea.

Denzil Minnen-Wong thought it was an absolutely fantastic idea though, which coming from him means absolutely nothing since he's one of the worst city councilors in this city's history.

At least he's finally getting out of city politics so there's one less idiot to generate an idea like this.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 2:41 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

It would be sad if they are done as they barely even operated. Seems like a fail experiment.

BYD has a successful reputation in china for building electric buses. I'm not sure why they would spend all that money building a factory in Canada to sell junk. 

Might be a quality control issue at the plant in Newmarket.  

Are the Proterra's doing better? 

Frame cracking with SEPTA's fleet was considered "cosmetic". 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/whyy.org/articles/septas-cracking-battery-buses-raise-questions-about-the-future-of-electric-transit/amp/

16 minutes ago, Shaun said:

BYD has a successful reputation in china for building electric buses. I'm not sure why they would spend all that money building a factory in Canada to sell junk. 

There's a reason why a lot of domestic China vehicles aren't sold outside of their domestic market, or a few neighboring countries or countries with poor or no safety oversight.

Folks there put up with sub par quality because you don't exactly have a lot of options there to complain.

But getting back to here, I think the decision to purchase buses with non standard charging infrastructure was the worst part of it, because it would mean only keeping them confined to one garage, or have duplicate charging infrastructures in multiple garages.

Thankfully it was only 10 buses and not the original 20.

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

Are the Proterra's doing better? 

Frame cracking with SEPTA's fleet was considered "cosmetic". 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/whyy.org/articles/septas-cracking-battery-buses-raise-questions-about-the-future-of-electric-transit/amp/

Proterra seems to be better now but they are longer than 40 foot so unless they come up with a new design, they are out. Plus both don't have stainless steel frames.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:38 PM, T3G said:

It is my understanding that the BYD fleet has all gone to a service place - I believe in Newmarket.

You mean...they are returned to BYD? As their plant is in Newmarket.

12 hours ago, Toro said:

Langilles scrap 

I only ask because at one point I thought I had seen a bunch of them parked in a lot quite north of Toronto well after they retired, and it definitely wasn't the normal scrap yards (future, langilles). I've been trying to find this place on google maps (where I've seen it before years ago), but no luck as of late. Am I dreaming?

7 hours ago, Orion VI said:

I only ask because at one point I thought I had seen a bunch of them parked in a lot quite north of Toronto well after they retired, and it definitely wasn't the normal scrap yards (future, langilles). I've been trying to find this place on google maps (where I've seen it before years ago), but no luck as of late. Am I dreaming?

That lot was also Langille’s property.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Orion VI said:

There was a place north east of Toronto in Durham  that had a bunch, is this the same place you're talking about?

5 hours ago, Toro said:

There was a place north east of Toronto in Durham  that had a bunch, is this the same place you're talking about?

Possibly? I'd have to see it to confirm. Could that be what @Bus_Medicmentioned? 

This was some years ago, so I'd assume the only way to see them would now be on Google Streetview, and turning the time back to maybe 2015-18ish.

On 10/23/2022 at 11:09 AM, Orion VI said:

All of the links in the forum are dead, and only one picture on the third page is viewable.

Subway Cars Collide In Wilson Yard - Page 3 - Greater Toronto Area -  Canadian Public Transit Discussion Board

Remind me if these were sent to bombardier to get repaired or were retired.

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Remind me if these were sent to bombardier to get repaired or were retired.

Yes, all four cars got shipped to Bombardier for repairs; the two lead cars that collided (5185 and 5326) were deemed unrepairable and were scrapped, while 5184 and 5327 received repairs, and were subsequently paired together (with 5327 renumbered to 5185).