Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

3 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Um, no?

Last red Gloucesters in service were in 1990.

I liked the very 1970s front end treatment on the last few H5s.

None of this was anything close to 60 years ago. 😎

Although a nice touch, who l how many people would notice how the trains look like when they are undergoing, especially if they only paint the front.

The SRT however warped in blue now is more noticeable as it passes through the elevated guideway. 

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Colourful and unique painting scheme does add to tourist photo's background. You can definitely say that's a streetcar from Toronto on the harbourfront with the CN Tower and Skydome. As for why tourist needs photos of Line 5 and 6, who knows. Good thing Metrolinx isn't in charge of the downtown streetcars.

While I can see tourists on line 5, especially once it is extended to the airport, since it goes to Science Centre and I think there are some other museums along the route.  I can’t see any tourists aside from transit fans visiting anything along Finch West.

Perhaps when line 5 hits the airport they can give the rolling stock some sort of wrap with pictures of planes, attractions and city views.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 81-717 said:

They used to, not anymore.

20220329_121158.jpg

I'd call that a peach color and not yellow and it has nothing to do with the lines color

15 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Indeed, this bears repeating. It’s not “their” equipment.

The subway fleet has been monochromatic aluminum for 60 years, and nobody’s lamenting that. Fashion is fickle. In a decade, they’ll slap something else on them, if they don’t get wrap adverts first.

As long as it arrives on time and the hvac works, passengers won’t lift their eyes from their iPhone screens to notice anyway.

Who said the operating contractor (TTC) didn’t have logos on them. And honestly ask yourself. Does it even matter? Would It directly impact your trip?

Pick your battles.

I think you misread my comment firstly and secondly, im not making a big deal about it. Im giving an honest opinion. You need to chill.

21 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

I know i am not the only one disappointed at the TTC's decision to paint their LRV's on the Eglinton and Finch West lines grey.

Don't be afraid to share your opinion

What did I misinterpret?

23 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

I'd call that a peach color and not yellow and it has nothing to do with the lines color

I know that. I was being sarcastic / reminiscing about a bygone era. The color is best described as yellow-orange / school bus yellow. Coincidentally (or not), it's pretty much exactly the same color as that used to represent line 1.

As far as painting trains the same color as the line they run on, specifically with that intent, that would only be practical on a stand-alone line (i.e. the aging line 3, and future 5, 6 & OL) where the trains are physically confined to that line. On a properly integrated subway network (like the existing lines 1, 2 & 4), the possibility of trains from line X running on line Y, however unlikely, should always be taken into account, in which case the color of the train would be irrelevant. If it's such a big deal (it isn't), a more practical option would be to have LED destination signs displaying the current route in its respective color, which can be easily reprogrammed to display a different route/color as needed.

Edited by 81-717

8 hours ago, 81-717 said:

I know that. I was being sarcastic / reminiscing about a bygone era. The color is best described as yellow-orange / school bus yellow. Coincidentally (or not), it's pretty much exactly the same color as that used to represent line 1.

As far as painting trains the same color as the line they run on, specifically with that intent, that would only be practical on a stand-alone line (i.e. the aging line 3, and future 5, 6 & OL) where the trains are physically confined to that line. On a properly integrated subway network (like the existing lines 1, 2 & 4), the possibility of trains from line X running on line Y, however unlikely, should always be taken into account, in which case the color of the train would be irrelevant. If it's such a big deal (it isn't), a more practical option would be to have LED destination signs displaying the current route in its respective color, which can be easily reprogrammed to display a different route/color as needed.

Why does it matter at all?

So long as the signage is correct/conforms to whatever norms are deemed acceptable, the colours - or lack thereof - frankly don't matter.

New York's trains all look the same, even though many of the trains are physically incapable of operating on half of their system.

Paris' subways are a mish-mash of different schemes as they go through yet another rebranding exercise, but no one seems to be confused by it.

Dan

Just so everyone is on the same page here, it was Metrolinx (and not the TTC) who decided to paint the LRVs grey. The reason was so they could have the same appearance as "heavy rail".

As to where they got the idea from, they paid their consultants handsomely for it.

10 hours ago, lip said:

Just so everyone is on the same page here, it was Metrolinx (and not the TTC) who decided to paint the LRVs grey. The reason was so they could have the same appearance as "heavy rail".

As to where they got the idea from, they paid their consultants handsomely for it.

A while ago, I had a chat with someone who was at that time one of the lead consultants on the project, specifically the rolling stock and ROW design. At that time, the "paint scheme" on the LRVs was simply an interim measure. He told me that the cars were going to get "painted" in a final scheme prior to the line opening.

Granted, that was about a half-decade ago, but does it not seem plausible that it could still be the case?

Dan

40 minutes ago, smallspy said:

A while ago, I had a chat with someone who was at that time one of the lead consultants on the project, specifically the rolling stock and ROW design. At that time, the "paint scheme" on the LRVs was simply an interim measure. He told me that the cars were going to get "painted" in a final scheme prior to the line opening.

Granted, that was about a half-decade ago, but does it not seem plausible that it could still be the case?

Dan

All they would need to do is print the stickers and apply them to the cars. It's not like they would need to strip it down and repaint the cars. 

53 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Maybe they were waiting for the results of the provincial election(s). Should the LRVs be red, blue, or orange? (Green being a left-field choice, well maybe centrist-ish.)

Metrolinx, always project managing their lips against politician's posteriors.

4 hours ago, smallspy said:

Dan

3 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Maybe they were waiting for the results of the provincial election(s). Should the LRVs be red, blue, or orange? (Green being a left-field choice, well maybe centrist-ish.)

Metrolinx, always project managing their lips against politician's posteriors.

All this is wishful thinking, but grey is the final colour for both the Finch and Eglinton LRVs. Let's remember Metrolinx is about as "arm-length" from the government as one's nose is from their face.

It remains to be seen what we will see with the Hurontario *cough Hazel McCallion" and Hamilton lines, but it's very likely Hurontario's LRVs will be grey while Hamilton's is really up in the air. There's no confirmation with those lines yet.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:49 PM, lifty4ever said:

IMO the line 5 trains should have Orange coloring with TTC red accents to match the color the line has on the maps. The line 6 trains should have red accents added seeing as it happens that line 6's official color is grey.

Line 1's trains get yellow accents, line 2's get green and line 4's get purple. Line 3's trains all got the lines color and they look fabulous.

18 hours ago, smallspy said:

Why does it matter at all?

So long as the signage is correct/conforms to whatever norms are deemed acceptable, the colours - or lack thereof - frankly don't matter.

New York's trains all look the same, even though many of the trains are physically incapable of operating on half of their system.

Paris' subways are a mish-mash of different schemes as they go through yet another rebranding exercise, but no one seems to be confused by it.

Dan

I agree that it doesn't matter, as I said in my post. I was responding to @lifty4ever's suggestion of repainting trains on each line to match the line's respective color, and why there's little or no point in doing so.

With this closure today between St Clair and Lawrence stations. Trains can't turn back at either station so for Lawrence trains they would need to pass the Eglinton platform to change tracks. For St Clair trains would need to travel to Davisvile yard to change tracks.  Why not just run trains by bypassing Eglinton station?

Is it just that the platform at Eglinton is closed for LRT construction? 

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

With this closure today between St Clair and Lawrence stations. Trains can't turn back at either station so for Lawrence trains they would need to pass the Eglinton platform to change tracks. For St Clair trains would need to travel to Davisvile yard to change tracks.  Why not just run trains by bypassing Eglinton station?

There's a cross-over just south of Lawrence station.

31 minutes ago, nfitz said:

There's a cross-over just south of Lawrence station.

And also one just south of St. Clair. NB trains usually cross over to the SB platform there and load/off load on the same platform

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Is it just that the platform at Eglinton is closed for LRT construction?

18 hours ago, yrt1000 said:

And also one just south of St. Clair. NB trains usually cross over to the SB platform there and load/off load on the same platform

When was that cross over south of st Clair put into service?

40 minutes ago, Shaun said:

When was that cross over south of st Clair put into service?

It had been used once or twice prior to the ATC cutover in the area, but since ATC/ATO has been live it's been used for every single closure.

Dan

I was riding Line 1 through the single track operation today and noticed that the single shuttle train between Lawrence West and Wilson was running again. However, the website stated that northbound and southbound trains would alternate use of the southbound track. Is this the TTC's way of cleverly wording it to seem like nothing would go wrong?

Also, I've noticed that the late openings due to beam replacement on the Bloor Viaduct are taking longer to clear, often going past 12pm. Is there any reason for this?

On the relatively short Sheppard West to Wilson closure today, I noticed that almost all the shuttle buses were articulated in comparison to some other, longer closures.

Does the TTC have a policy of prioritizing articulated buses on shuttles?

34 minutes ago, blue.bird.fan said:

On the relatively short Sheppard West to Wilson closure today, I noticed that almost all the shuttle buses were articulated in comparison to some other, longer closures.

Artics are used on subway shuttles because they have a higher capacity, but as far as I'm concerned it's not a policy. In this scenario because of the short distance of the shuttle, less buses are required and therefore more of the buses used can be artics, when the distance is larger, more buses are needed and there isn't enough artics to go around between the regular routes and the shuttle.

16 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Artics are used on subway shuttles because they have a higher capacity, but as far as I'm concerned it's not a policy. In this scenario because of the short distance of the shuttle, less buses are required and therefore more of the buses used can be artics, when the distance is larger, more buses are needed and there isn't enough artics to go around between the regular routes and the shuttle.

There was a managerial directive put out, but nothing formal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue.bird.fan said:

The weekend also helps. Artics aren't scheduled on most routes on weekends, only the 29/929 Dufferin and the 985 Sheppard East Express are scheduled artics. Usually artics are sent to the regular weekend subway shuttles but there are plenty sitting at the garages. On weekdays, you'll less likely see artics on shuttles.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The weekend also helps. Artics aren't scheduled on most routes on weekends, only the 29/929 Dufferin and the 985 Sheppard East Express are scheduled artics. Usually artics are sent to the regular weekend subway shuttles but there are plenty sitting at the garages. On weekdays, you'll less likely see artics on shuttles.

Now my question to this is when will they start to use artics on Jane Express and HWY 27 Express? I remember reading a document saying 2022 but I don’t remember what the document was 

9 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

They couldn't do directional running? Or use one yard track?

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

That was the division route allocation for McNicoll opening which did not indicate current routes would loose artics.

Is there a repair program to fix the looseness?

• Haha 1