Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Given Queensway is a very old property in my opinion it doesn’t make sense to add anything to it.  It would be better to find a larger property elsewhere and build a new garage.  Then if current Queensway property is still needed then current garage could be demolished and rebuilt.

Obico yard has lots of space for a new garage. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2017 at 8:33 PM, TTCOpITM said:

It is procedure to not exceed 10 km/h through switches (facing and trailing) until the rear trucks have cleared any switches to lessen the possibility of derailments.

@TTCOpITM is this due to them being single-point switch? would double blade switch prevent need for this slowdown?

Bit of a random question, but I've recently been interested in finding out more about TTC's program that donates retired vehicles to charitable initiatives (or anywhere it sees fit). Through about 30 mins of looking at the new (and older version thru WaybackMachine) TTC website, I cannot find any mention of the program. 

IIRC, there was a page or at least a paragraph dedicated to such a program somewhere on the site within the last couple of years, but even searching on versions of the site from then don't really lead me to anything, can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Thanks!

(If anyone is confused, this is an example of what i'm referencing: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/03/04/from-hostage-training-exercises-to-mobile-grocery-stores-retired-ttc-vehicles-put-to-good-use.html)

On 4/20/2022 at 9:42 PM, Orion VI said:

Bit of a random question, but I've recently been interested in finding out more about TTC's program that donates retired vehicles to charitable initiatives (or anywhere it sees fit). Through about 30 mins of looking at the new (and older version thru WaybackMachine) TTC website, I cannot find any mention of the program. 

IIRC, there was a page or at least a paragraph dedicated to such a program somewhere on the site within the last couple of years, but even searching on versions of the site from then don't really lead me to anything, can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Thanks!

(If anyone is confused, this is an example of what i'm referencing: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/03/04/from-hostage-training-exercises-to-mobile-grocery-stores-retired-ttc-vehicles-put-to-good-use.html)

There isnt any mention of it on the TTC's website, most of the time the organizations who want a vehicle donated will just contact the TTC directly. The execs will decide whether a donation request should be approved or denied. This of course was during the time Byford was CEO so I have no idea if this has changed since Leary took over.

• Like 1

Where would we put sightings (or questions about) abandoned TTC streetcar infrastructure? Tracks coming back up under the pavement, metal poles for overhead? Would it be best to create a new thread in sightings?

Certainly there's plenty of tracks left over from the days of the Bloor-Danforth first phase opening, such as Lansdowne approaching Davenport. That would have been abandoned with the Harbord car, and that would have been 1965. I don't think I've spotted any track on Dupont, that would have gone with the University subway's opening in 1963. I wonder how many older relics are still out there. A long time ago (probably gone now) there were tracks on Sherbourne south of Front, which I suppose were left over from the days of George St. shops and the Yonge carline.

25 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Where would we put sightings (or questions about) abandoned TTC streetcar infrastructure? Tracks coming back up under the pavement, metal poles for overhead? Would it be best to create a new thread in sightings?

Certainly there's plenty of tracks left over from the days of the Bloor-Danforth first phase opening, such as Lansdowne approaching Davenport. That would have been abandoned with the Harbord car, and that would have been 1965. I don't think I've spotted any track on Dupont, that would have gone with the University subway's opening in 1963. I wonder how many older relics are still out there. A long time ago (probably gone now) there were tracks on Sherbourne south of Front, which I suppose were left over from the days of George St. shops and the Yonge carline.

There’s some on Adelaide around University as well 

Is the TTC site down for anyone? I get this error when I go on my computer (tried multiple browsers), ipad,  as well as my phone via wifi or cellular.

sitedown.jpg

Edit: looks like it has been fixed. It wasn't just me, there were complaints on TTC's twitter as well.

9 hours ago, MK78 said:

Is the TTC site down for anyone? I get this error when I go on my computer (tried multiple browsers), ipad,  as well as my phone via wifi or cellular.

sitedown.jpg

Edit: looks like it has been fixed. It wasn't just me, there were complaints on TTC's twitter as well.

I was one of them that tweeted at them haha, not sure why it happened 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently visited Leslie station and I noticed how much some areas are in such disrepair. The lower entrance is missing ceiling tiles and the roof is leaking.  Are there any plans to fix this, or are we just going to let the station fall into disrepair?  

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

I still have some TTC Day Passes (Q4 2019 last version) un-used. Can they still be used or are they all relics?

I think they are relics. All day passes now are apart of the presto system

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

I still have some TTC Day Passes (Q4 2019 last version) un-used. Can they still be used or are they all relics?

They are still valid since no end date has been implemented. Someone asked TTC Customer Service last month via Twitter regarding validity. Better to use them up if you can since right now, there are no refunds or exchanges on unused passes. 

I still remember the paper day pass and how you had to use the main entrance to enter the station. Since the auto entrances are only programmed to accept tokens, weekly and monthly passes since they have the magnetic stripe and yo would swipe at the entrance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.

How about using the legacy day pass for the weekend 2 adults portions of it? Will they and the fare inspectors accept it because TTC got rid of it for the Presto day passes?

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

Thanks.

How about using the legacy day pass for the weekend 2 adults portions of it? Will they and the fare inspectors accept it because TTC got rid of it for the Presto day passes?

Not sure on that one regarding legacy day passes valid as a group pass on weekends/holidays. I would assume that it isn't valid as a group pass, but I would contact customer service and ask regarding your inquiry just in case you choose to travel with more than one person. 

It is absolutely surprising that the TTC hasn’t increased service level at all on line 2.. and this is actually ridiculous headway to see even at night time. 

There are many events going on within the city and I am surprised that the TTC has no plan to increase service.. even by 0.1 percent 

73D7B834-5DE7-4190-A9D9-6CFD8A9CC2D6.jpeg

• Like 2

When ttc rebuilt 8100-8219, they were all re painted in New livery right? None of them were re painted in old livery and went back for a second repaint after rebuild?

46 minutes ago, Toro said:

When ttc rebuilt 8100-8219, they were all re painted in New livery right? None of them were re painted in old livery and went back for a second repaint after rebuild?

That's right. They started repainting them in 2016 when the 8100s were about to be rebuilt. 8159 was first to get the new livery.

Meanwhile the 1200s were being rebuilt. Some of them were also repainted in the new livery while the other half were in the old livery. Eventually they repainted most of them again.

The 1500s and 8300s came after, so those got new livery when rebuilt. Then they repainted all the 1000s which were all rebuilt.