Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

3 hours ago, MK78 said:

It is, the last one before the turn into Kennedy Station.

Yes, there is a structure in the park that's obviously access to the subway.

My question is, does the subway go over or under the creek? If the tunnel is quite shallow, then it's visible as it goes over the creek. I don't have a picture, but anyone up for exploring can visit it for themselves. Go to the corner of Chelwood Rd and Woodfern Dr and go in.

Has anyone noticed that the service disruptions part on the TTC site hasn't worked for like a week or more?

They keep posting updates on the twitter page but nothing makes its way on the website - which is where most tracker apps take their info from.

Edit: as if by magic someone read this post and now the alerts are working again on the TTC site.

19 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

No they aren’t. With the infection numbers rising steadily due to Omicron, they decided that it was safer to not cut fares

On top, there is also no extended service. Other than 600 RADs (run-as-directed)

I don't think the TTC wants a liability by encouraging people to take transit for free and have full vehicles. Note that in previous years, New Years Eve service was paid for by Corby Spirit and Wine. 

https://stevemunro.ca/2021/12/22/ttc-holiday-period-services-2021-2022/

i can't comment on the GTA, but here in Ottawa what's the point of celebrating New Years? You really can't go anywhere with restriction on restaurants/Bars & clubs with how many your allowed to have in venue? Even at home your limited on how many individuals are allowed in your home? So why bother? Even if you go outside, not sure what the temp is going to be New Years Eve in the GTA, but here in Ottawa is suppose to be cold. The one thing about not celebrating is at least your going to save $$$ on Booze & Taxi/Uber/Lift fares. And though most transit systems have free transit New Year's Eve not all routes run past Midnight-3 AM(mostly local routes).

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

i can't comment on the GTA, but here in Ottawa what's the point of celebrating New Years? You really can't go anywhere with restriction on restaurants/Bars & clubs with how many your allowed to have in venue? Even at home your limited on how many individuals are allowed in your home? So why bother? Even if you go outside, not sure what the temp is going to be New Years Eve in the GTA, but here in Ottawa is suppose to be cold. The one thing about not celebrating is at least your going to save $$$ on Booze & Taxi/Uber/Lift fares. And though most transit systems have free transit New Year's Eve not all routes run past Midnight-3 AM(mostly local routes).

Why bother indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering how long will this (ridiculous) service cut will last.. 

This is the AM and PM rush schedule for 50 Burnhamthorpe, which is probably one of the most impacted route back in November

And it looks like the schedule is fucked up again.. 

The PM rush headway was 17 minute since the start of the pandemic.. and it is the AM rush which went from bad to worse.. 

The headway for AM rush was about 12-13 minute before the service cut, and it got longer to 17 minute after the November cut.. and I don’t know who did the schedule for January.. and the headway is like 22 minute in some point.. There’s one around 7:45 ish and there’s no bus until like 8:10 ish if you miss that.. and it is in the morning.. 

I am basically forced to walk down to Markland Wood to take 49 Bloor West which has slightly better and consistent headway compared to 50. 

I am just hoping this is just a temporary thing.. unless Doug Ford quietly pulled millions of dollars from the TTC’s purse

DA9FEA79-E4CE-45BE-825F-1286539C1FB2.jpeg

7A8F725B-BD51-49C4-B0B4-2597BAD65600.jpeg

11 hours ago, raptorjays said:

This is the AM and PM rush schedule for 50 Burnhamthorpe, which is probably one of the most impacted route back in November

The PM rush headway was 17 minute since the start of the pandemic.. and it is the AM rush which went from bad to worse.. 

The headway for AM rush was about 12-13 minute before the service cut, and it got longer to 17 minute after the November cut.. and I don’t know who did the schedule for January.. and the headway is like 22 minute in some point.. There’s one around 7:45 ish and there’s no bus until like 8:10 ish if you miss that.. and it is in the morning.. 

I am basically forced to walk down to Markland Wood to take 49 Bloor West which has slightly better and consistent headway compared to 50. 

I am just hoping this is just a temporary thing.. unless Doug Ford quietly pulled millions of dollars from the TTC’s purse

It was Mike Harris that pulled Ontario's contribution to the TTC's operating subsidy back in the late 1990s.  None of the provincial government since then has put it back and Doug Ford didn't remove what was already gone.

17 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Is this the TTC's way of weaning people off the 50 BURNHAMTHORPE in anticipation of MiWay taking over with it 26 BURNHAMTHORPE and 76 CITY CENTRE-SUBWAY routes?  Sounds like you could also make use of the restructured 20 RATHBURN which is supposed to supplement the 3 BLOOR when the 49 BLOOR WEST is removed (and restore 2-way service along Mill Rd. such as it is).  Any updates on that?  You'd think given the reduction in service across the GTA there'd be more of an impetus to make some of these changes.  Both the Bloor and Burnhamthorpe corridors are higher priority corridors in Mississauga compared to Toronto.

26 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Question?

Which is the longest TTC route?(Route # & time one way)

Which is the shortest route?( Route # & time one way)

The longest Streetcar route is 501 Queen

The longest bus route 54 Lawrence East

The shortest would be either 171 Mount Dennis or 99 ArrowRd

13 minutes ago, PrimeTio said:

Pretty sure the shortest is the 99.

According to TTC service summary shortest route is 76C (only a few trips in rush hours) - shortest regular route is 94B longest by far is 300A although for the day time routes longest one is 54A.

12 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

It was Mike Harris that pulled Ontario's contribution to the TTC's operating subsidy back in the late 1990s.  None of the provincial government since then has put it back and Doug Ford didn't remove what was already gone.

I remember we had this kind of cuts when Doug’s brother (who’s now laid in the coffin) was a mayor in Toronto. I know Mike Harris did the most of the damages but those Ford brothers basically fucked up the city’s transit. Rob Ford is a crimminal who basically moved this city backward for 10-20 years by cancelling that massive transit city plan. 

7 hours ago, Gil said:

Is this the TTC's way of weaning people off the 50 BURNHAMTHORPE in anticipation of MiWay taking over with it 26 BURNHAMTHORPE and 76 CITY CENTRE-SUBWAY routes?  Sounds like you could also make use of the restructured 20 RATHBURN which is supposed to supplement the 3 BLOOR when the 49 BLOOR WEST is removed (and restore 2-way service along Mill Rd. such as it is).  Any updates on that?  You'd think given the reduction in service across the GTA there'd be more of an impetus to make some of these changes.  Both the Bloor and Burnhamthorpe corridors are higher priority corridors in Mississauga compared to Toronto.

Ya it is kinda ironic that you do see more Mississauga buses on Burnhamthorpe than the TTC. I just can’t believe they destroyed the headway so much.. before the pandemic.. 50 Burnhamthorpe used to get 10 minute headway for AM rush and 13 minute for PM rush.. and now the AM rush is double compared to then.. 

3 hours ago, Young said:

The longest Streetcar route is 501 Queen

The longest bus route 54 Lawrence East

Add the 82  ROSEDALE to the shortest routes 

5 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Question?

Which is the longest TTC route?(Route # & time one way)

Which is the shortest route?( Route # & time one way)

Shortest:
What about 30B High Park, when it's in operation?  Last time I took it, I recall it only operated between High Park Stn and High Park.  It never went beyond High Park Stn as the old TTC website showed.

1 hour ago, patrickst said:

Mike is correct, the shortest is the 76C. The shortest regular route is the 30 High Park, which comes in at just a hair under 5km round-trip according to the TTC themselves.

94B is 4.01km.

1 hour ago, patrickst said:

Mike is correct, the shortest is the 76C. The shortest regular route is the 30 High Park, which comes in at just a hair under 5km round-trip according to the TTC themselves.

The 64 Main (4.81km round trip) and as Mike pointed out the 94B Wellesley are both shorter than the 30A High Park.

The 76C doesn't operate both ways, it's either single direction school trips or garage runs. The 3.12km distance listed in the service summary would need to be doubled if it was a regular service.

Also note that the 102D Markham Rd (53.84km route trip) would become the longest route once the Crosstown opens and shortens the 54A to Science Centre Station.

14 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

Pretty sure the shortest is the 99.

15 hours ago, Young said:

Don't make assumptions. Just because they go circles doesn't mean they are short. if you look at all routes lengths from end to end (not round trip distance) there are many routes that are shorter than 99 and 171. Heck, even Line 4 is shorter in distance than both of them.

I don’t know why someone would think the 99 the shortest without checking. Going from Finch to Sheppard is about 2km and would take 25-30 min to walk that distance. 

that’s about the same distance from Danforth to Queen. So routes like 72A Pape, 31A Greenwood, 22B Coxwell and 64 Main would be in that league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I don’t know why someone would think the 99 the shortest without checking. Going from Finch to Sheppard is about 2km and would take 25-30 min to walk that distance. 

99 ARROW ROAD, a one way route, was born out of the 1996 cuts that eliminated 99 CLAYSON (formerly 96H) which was then replaced by the present 84C. It’s kinda basically a operator shuttle that runs every 20 mins except when 84C is in operation during rush.

Other short routes worth mentioning are the 1 ARMOUR HEIGHTS, 3 ANCASTER PARK, 10 VAN HORNE, 12D KINGSTON ROAD to BINGHAM, 66 PRINCE EDWARD before merging with the 13 BERRY ROAD, and the 121 NORSEMAN.