Jump to content

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions


Orion V
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Does anyone have any solid estimates how long a 501 Broadview bus would take to get from Long Branch loop to King and John? To arrive there Friday evening by 6:40 PM, about when would I need to catch the bus at the loop? Triplinx says 1.5 hours, and, "take the train". I am not convinced it will be that bad.

On the other hand, the TTC side claims that the bus uses Queen east to Spadina. I was at Queen and Augusta yesterday, and it was totally blocked and the concrete was being torn up. Has it reopened? I wonder.

If i were you i would just take the 110A/B to the subway to st andrew stn and walk to john street from there.

According to the schedules posted on transsee, that trip is scheduled to take about 80 minutes on the 501 bus. Thats scheduled time, im assuming there will be some traffic on a friday at pm rush which means it could take even longer then that.

As for the detours, this is apparently the current routing in the image below.

queendiversionpostersmall.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

If i were you i would just take the 110A/B to the subway to st andrew stn and walk to john street from there.

According to the schedules posted on transsee, that trip is scheduled to take about 80 minutes on the 501 bus. Thats scheduled time, im assuming there will be some traffic on a friday at pm rush which means it could take even longer then that.

As for the detours, this is apparently the current routing in the image below.

queendiversionpostersmall.jpg

To double down, yes take the 110A/B. GO Train is even better as you wouldnt run into any risks of delays if you actually need to get somewhere on time. GO will get you anywhere on time most of the time, the TTC will get you to your destination late if you have a schedule to follow. There's no point wasting time on the 501B, one would be lucky to get from Long Branch to King/John in an hour and half if you factor in traffic, and the TTC's consistent screwing around of that "service".

Just came back from waiting nearly 30 mins for the 501B just to do a local trip, and of course 2 buses show up back to back (even with absolutely 0 traffic whatsoever). Cant wait to see what Sunday has in store when the TTC hacks the hell out of service all over the city thanks to Leary and his idiotic crew.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I wound up taking the GO train in from Long Branch to Union. I had the upper level of a bilevel to myself, and was not impeded by shuffling zombie crowds getting off the train. So that was not bad.

I was ready to head for home from King/Simcoe at around 8:45, i.e. I could not make the GO train home, and they run only hourly by that time. With no westbound streetcar in sight, I wandered up to Queen and over to the stop at University.

A hand-me-down 501L showed up shortly after 9 PM. It took about 35 minutes to get to Roncesvalles, via Queen, Spadina, Richmond, Bathurst, King,  Dufferin, and Queen. A lot of that was from traffic on Richmond and Bathurst. After that, it was not much over 20 minutes to Long Branch loop.

I get what people are saying about taking the subway and the 110, but I find that routing pretty tedious. And while it's easy to remember that the 110A leaves on the quarter past and quarter to (or at least it always has in the past), miss it and you are left with unattractive choices. Plus always wondering if I should go on to Kipling and catch a Shorncliffe Sherway instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of links on ttc.ca have become broken recently, some leading to "Sorry, couldn't find the page you were looking for" and some not even loading claiming there's a typo in the URL. There's a PDF file i've been wanting to take another look at for a few days now. It's the one about all the line 5 bus route changes with the pie charts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, John Oke said:

I noticed today a 501 car with it's pantograph up while another had it's trolley poll still up, how long has this been going for? I saw both of them on King St. 

Which direction were the cars headed?  Queen St is slowly being converted to fully pantograph operation as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bus_7246 said:

Which direction were the cars headed?  Queen St is slowly being converted to fully pantograph operation as well

The one with the pantograph was heading west to Charlotte Loop, while the one with the poll was heading towards Kingston Road and Queen 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2020/10/10/leslieville-community-pushes-back-against-new-subway-line-plans/

Well… I don’t know if their voice will be heard since Metrolinx seems to be going full steam ahead with overground with Leslieville area.

The only hope for them is Doug Ford’s party being defeated in the next election.. since the construction isn’t starting until 2023

I don’t know why the Metrolinx is pushing for overground here while they allowed underground for western extension of Eglinton LRT. If one can go underground, then why this cannot?? This double standard makes no sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, raptorjays said:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2020/10/10/leslieville-community-pushes-back-against-new-subway-line-plans/

Well… I don’t know if their voice will be heard since Metrolinx seems to be going full steam ahead with overground with Leslieville area.

The only hope for them is Doug Ford’s party being defeated in the next election.. since the construction isn’t starting until 2023

I don’t know why the Metrolinx is pushing for overground here while they allowed underground for western extension of Eglinton LRT. If one can go underground, then why this cannot?? This double standard makes no sense. 

Metrolinx’s talking point was engineering complexities with tunneling in that spot. I’ll defer to someone else to dig up the proof.

To me, the whole protest smacks of the hypocrisy of the wealthy urban left populating that neighborhood. They’re all for improved transit and infrastructure on paper…….until the chips are down and it’s time to turn their benevolent intentions to action.

Change the San Francisco Bay Area to Riverdale, Baby Point or Lesliville, and the shoe still fits.

skip ahead to 2:30 to see my point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Metrolinx’s talking point was engineering complexities with tunneling in that spot. I’ll defer to someone else to dig up the proof.

To me, the whole protest smacks of the hypocrisy of the wealthy urban left populating that neighborhood. They’re all for improved transit and infrastructure on paper…….until the chips are down and it’s time to turn their benevolent intentions to action.

The community was onboard with the Downtown Relief Line alignment and stations, after the consultation.

Part of the problem is Metrolinx pretty much skipped the consultation process. Ignored all input. Lied through their teeth. And dodged any serious question, instead choosing to answer similar questions, that were always contrived to make the current alignment and station location look better. Until they changed something, and had to contrive new answers. And yet pretending that underground was the only choice for Eglinton West and the Line 2 Scarborough extension.

We are seeing similar in Thorncliffe. Is that the wealth urban left as well?

Perhaps the issue isn't the neighbours, but Metrolinx's incompetent and unethical public relations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^Both sides are at fault: Metrolinx isnt forthcoming with information, and hides the most critical parts of how various infrastructure projects would affect communities. There are certainly times they are forthcoming, but there are other times where they choose to be inept and outright do complete 180s on what they initially promise until they are pressed by the community at large.

With the particular case of Leslieville, they are just whining over the loss of literally a fraction of their precious park space and increased noise over a corridor which is already set to see massive train traffic increase due to GO RER. I dont have an ounce of sympathy for them whatsoever, and if half those people were as passionate about other critical city projects/politics we wouldnt be consistently electing dopes into office who completely screw up the city with their various antics.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, raptorjays said:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2020/10/10/leslieville-community-pushes-back-against-new-subway-line-plans/

Well… I don’t know if their voice will be heard since Metrolinx seems to be going full steam ahead with overground with Leslieville area.

The only hope for them is Doug Ford’s party being defeated in the next election.. since the construction isn’t starting until 2023

I don’t know why the Metrolinx is pushing for overground here while they allowed underground for western extension of Eglinton LRT. If one can go underground, then why this cannot?? This double standard makes no sense. 

If Eglinton stayed on the surface, it would be slower and impede with heavy traffic. However the OL doesn't impede with traffic with this change so it's not completely unacceptable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well there we go, I called it out years ago that the perimeter fencing was inadequate and I was criticized back then with people saying "well what else is the TTC supposed to install, the fences are high enough, it can be cut through if someone really wanted to, etc. insert other excuses".

Let this be an early warning for them, unless they want people to start screwing around with subway equipment further then this. The last thing we need is an incident like we experience a few months ago with the guy who went to the Islington portal so sabotage and screw around with critical infrastructure.

We live in a day and age where people are getting a thrill out of causing severe damage to equipment just to get likes on social media. This isnt the cute old 1990s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, lip said:

Well there we go, I called it out years ago that the perimeter fencing was inadequate and I was criticized back then with people saying "well what else is the TTC supposed to install, the fences are high enough, it can be cut through if someone really wanted to, etc. insert other excuses".

Let this be an early warning for them, unless they want people to start screwing around with subway equipment further then this. The last thing we need is an incident like we experience a few months ago with the guy who went to the Islington portal so sabotage and screw around with critical infrastructure.

We live in a day and age where people are getting a thrill out of causing severe damage to equipment just to get likes on social media. This isnt the cute old 1990s.

There’s an Instagram page the account is @lance416 he posts pictures of himself and friends trespassing to the top of buildings and into Crosstown tunnels and other subway tunnels(ie: Bay Lower connection tunnel) on a regular basis, with all the times he’s gone into the Crosstown Tunnels, I’m surprised he hasn’t been caught 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ9XXYZhxVc/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKAKO3whFBs/?utm_medium=copy_link

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2021 at 11:47 PM, raptorjays said:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2020/10/10/leslieville-community-pushes-back-against-new-subway-line-plans/

Well… I don’t know if their voice will be heard since Metrolinx seems to be going full steam ahead with overground with Leslieville area.

The only hope for them is Doug Ford’s party being defeated in the next election.. since the construction isn’t starting until 2023

I don’t know why the Metrolinx is pushing for overground here while they allowed underground for western extension of Eglinton LRT. If one can go underground, then why this cannot?? This double standard makes no sense. 

I heard a rather “privileged” ad run on the radio by Metrolinx just now.  It’s message is that they’re building transit in your community for the better.  They’re trying to convince you that it’s good because “transit will help you get to work.  Transit will help you get to work with bean bag chairs.  Transit will help you get to work with bean bag chairs with coffee mugs that don’t let coffee go cold,” and other luxuries your wealthy workplace may have.

A little insulting to the close-knit communities that rely heavily on the existing infrastructure that keeps their community together, among other things more important than luxury amenities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Shaun said:

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2021/03/toronto-neighbourhood-pushes-back-parking-lot-modular-housing/

Looks like they are using the finch parking lot to store these portable housing units. 

Yup. Just like I posted back on Monday, all talk -and nobody shows up when it’s time to live their progressive values.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Yup. Just like I posted back on Monday, all talk -and nobody shows up when it’s time to live their progressive values.

Oh, absolutely. My current job sends me to all parks in various selected areas of the city. I don't see "too much density! stop development!!!!!1!" signs in Mount Olive. But affluent leafy old suburbs with huge lots and nice trees are in a frenzy if something is going to be built, maybe on the main road. There are those stupid "Respect our neighbourhood!!" signs up on every front lawn, or more likely boulevard (because the streets are wide).

Here's Birchcliff's frenzy over a not particularly big development:

Save Birch Cliff | Save Birch Cliff Village

As an older white guy, I feel sad that the world would probably be better off without older white guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...