Jump to content

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions


Orion V
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I did, however, get to realize how transit fans looked for specific buses before NextBus was a thing, so that was fun.

The TTC actually had live vehicle tracking as part of the old CIS system (I think it first went live in the early 80s and was rolled out on a per-division basis, someone here probably knows more details) through an IVR telephone system (and I think fax too). This was actually cutting edge technology for the time (A lot of it came from Bell and I think either Nortel or companies in Nortel's orbit) and the TTC was one of the first transit agencies in the world to have anything like this. It was shut down in the late 90s for Y2K compliance reasons and not replaced until the nextbus system went online in the 00s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

The TTC actually had live vehicle tracking as part of the old CIS system (I think it first went live in the early 80s and was rolled out on a per-division basis, someone here probably knows more details) through an IVR telephone system (and I think fax too). This was actually cutting edge technology for the time (A lot of it came from Bell and I think either Nortel or companies in Nortel's orbit) and the TTC was one of the first transit agencies in the world to have anything like this. It was shut down in the late 90s for Y2K compliance reasons and not replaced until the nextbus system went online in the 00s.

You're confusing two different things.  CIS brought out vehicle locations to the divisions and transit control on a bar chart type readout showing where it was relative to the length of the route.  None of that was publicly accessible.  Timeline, the phone system was very impressive for the late 80s but all it told you was arrival times for the next couple of buses coming to your stop.  It didn't let you find out where a given bus was in real time or even give revised arrival times accounting for delays or current vehicle position in CIS; the two were separate.  I don't know if they had any Y2K problems with the CIS infrastructure that had to be patched but Timeline definitely did and that's what put it out of business.  But while it was running, nobody was running to a payphone to call in and find out where in Toronto their favourite bus was running because it didn't have that kind of equivalent functionality to what there is on the various websites/apps that pull near realtime data these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

The TTC actually had live vehicle tracking as part of the old CIS system (I think it first went live in the early 80s and was rolled out on a per-division basis, someone here probably knows more details) through an IVR telephone system (and I think fax too). This was actually cutting edge technology for the time (A lot of it came from Bell and I think either Nortel or companies in Nortel's orbit) and the TTC was one of the first transit agencies in the world to have anything like this. It was shut down in the late 90s for Y2K compliance reasons and not replaced until the nextbus system went online in the 00s.

I remember having to replace the wheel rotation sensors on the right front drum. The air gap was really finicky. The microwave beacons, UHF radio and brake drum pick ups were in use until the CDMA mod was finished up in ‘07 or ‘08.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, I forgot the fax-back system.  You could call into that number with a touch-tone phone, dial through the menu to request a schedule, input your fax line's number, and it would fax you the timetable you requested.  Or, and I know someone who did this, input someone else's fax line number and order a ton of schedules burning their paper and tying their line up.  That was one step technologically above getting the subscription cards out of magazines in the news store, signing someone you didn't like up for a bunch, and ticking the "Bill me later" boxes on the cards.

But yeah, fax-backs were a thing once upon a time but hardly anyone had a fax machine or a fax modem with a computer on all the time to answer it at home so it was more of a buisness-to-business thing.  If you were at work, you could send your TTC schedule to the office fax machine and pick it up there.  Lots of companies had fax-back systems where you could go through a touch-tone menu and request catalogs, information sheets, technical service bulletins and get them sent to the nearest fax machine back in the day.

Good grief, if I get any older, they're going to stuff and mount me and put me on display at HCRR.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Oh yeah, I forgot the fax-back system.  You could call into that number with a touch-tone phone, dial through the menu to request a schedule, input your fax line's number, and it would fax you the timetable you requested.  Or, and I know someone who did this, input someone else's fax line number and order a ton of schedules burning their paper and tying their line up.  That was one step technologically above getting the subscription cards out of magazines in the news store, signing someone you didn't like up for a bunch, and ticking the "Bill me later" boxes on the cards.

But yeah, fax-backs were a thing once upon a time but hardly anyone had a fax machine or a fax modem with a computer on all the time to answer it at home so it was more of a buisness-to-business thing.  If you were at work, you could send your TTC schedule to the office fax machine and pick it up there.  Lots of companies had fax-back systems where you could go through a touch-tone menu and request catalogs, information sheets, technical service bulletins and get them sent to the nearest fax machine back in the day.

Good grief, if I get any older, they're going to stuff and mount me and put me on display at HCRR.

Ahhh. I actually remember requesting some route info through that system. That was doable the late 90s. Although the quality of my fax machine wasn't that great and it ended up either very black or white.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talking on the phone with a friend and tossing around some potential ideas for 2022 and the subject of charters came up.

Does the TTC still have the panedmic related ban on charters?

Does it look like the pandemic ban on charters is going to become permanent, ie. become the final exit from the charter business that the TTC's wanted to get out of for a long time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

Anyone know why the next train display isn’t working?? 
it is only saying “every 3 min” “every 5 min” rather than the actual time

Most likely still related to the ransomware attack, some parts of the system may not be restored yet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/8/2021 at 1:35 PM, MK78 said:

Most likely still related to the ransomware attack, some parts of the system may not be restored yet.

I think he's asking because the nextbus times have been working for a couple of days, but the "nextsubway" times haven't been. Even Transsee and related apps can track and predict subway arrival times as of now, but somehow the subway online system doesn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Orion VI said:

I think he's asking because the nextbus times have been working for a couple of days, but the "nextsubway" times haven't been. Even Transsee and related apps can track and predict subway arrival times as of now, but somehow the subway online system doesn't.

The subway system is completely independent from VISION and so its prediction system uses different computers that interface with its signaling systems.

 

It's quite likely that it just hasn't been brought back online yet. After all, apparently the internal email system is still down as of last night.

 

Dan

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Highly doubt it’s intentional, Other media agencies reported the number was supposed to be 0039 not 0009, simple harmless typo that’s going to get blown up just because. 

Not intentional, but it certainly isn't going to improve the workforce's opinion of the management team that just managed to lose the private, confidential information of their entire workforce.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, John Oke said:

https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/11/ttc-phone-sex-hotline/
if this was intentional, someone is probably getting fired for this. 

Just shows that nobody proofreads and verifies anything before things go out.

 

BlogTO is also guilty of misleading false info and blowing up unnecessary news. 

News agencies also don't proofread articles they publish these days. So it's all just a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any idea why the buses going to Islington Station don’t go into the terminal and being dropped off at the station entrance nowadays?

I take 50 Burnhamthorpe often and they’ve been doing that for at least over a week now
I don’t see any announcements regarding that anywhere (ttc website, twitter, etc)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

Does anyone have any idea why the buses going to Islington Station don’t go into the terminal and being dropped off at the station entrance nowadays?

I take 50 Burnhamthorpe often and they’ve been doing that for at least over a week now
I don’t see any announcements regarding that anywhere (ttc website, twitter, etc)

This was posted on Reddit last week. Based on the end date, I assume it's for bus platform deconstruction/preliminary work on the new terminal?

20211115_133243.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lip said:

Glad to see the TTC is publicly acknowledging they wont meet the AODA deadlines for Islington. Side note, this shift the south end of the terminal happened weeks ago.

As far as I know, the work continues to 2026. Which doesn't preclude providing accessibility before then, perhaps with temporary measures.

The poster seems badly worded. Obviously buses won't exclusively be using that particular platform until 2026 - as thought they'll be demolishing that area long before then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any solid estimates how long a 501 Broadview bus would take to get from Long Branch loop to King and John? To arrive there Friday evening by 6:40 PM, about when would I need to catch the bus at the loop? Triplinx says 1.5 hours, and, "take the train". I am not convinced it will be that bad.

On the other hand, the TTC side claims that the bus uses Queen east to Spadina. I was at Queen and Augusta yesterday, and it was totally blocked and the concrete was being torn up. Has it reopened? I wonder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...