Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

21 hours ago, Articulated said:

The high amount of subway closures for maintenance over the past couple of years is one of the biggest reasons why TTC now has a sizeable amount of "Run As Directed" (RAD) buses built into their service requirements. This way, the subway shuttles can be crewed with drivers at "regular" hours. When there is no subway shuttle (or a shorter one), the RAD buses get dispatched to fill in on regular routes.

Prior to the existence of RAD buses, all subway closures were staffed with drivers on overtime. On busy shuttle weekends (like this weekend, with extra buses required for the 504), they continue to have overtime available that drivers can sign up for at their divisions.

There aren't that many rad buses on these shuttles. Majority are operators that are doing overtime. 

9 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

There aren't that many rad buses on these shuttles. Majority are operators that are doing overtime. 

If we’re talking unplanned subway closures, then I can see why RAD buses might be used over pulling buses off of regular routes as was done previously.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know if Queensway division is short on buses?? 
I’ve seen several buses from the other division running on the Queensway route.

For example, I saw 1068 on 37 Islington

35xx on 50 Burnhamthorpe (I don’t know the exact number)

and I just saw 1268 running on 49 Bloor West this evening

1 hour ago, TTC Guy said:

Not short on buses, rather crews not showing up for work. Then rads get put on in replacement. 

👆 This. The driver shortage at Queensway has been an ongoing issue for a while now, it's just not been as visible because over the summer Queensway had a high amount of RAD buses, meaning that whenever a Queensway driver was missing, the run would be filled by a Queensway RAD. But if you looked into the route tracking data, you'd see 3 or 4 buses filling the same run over the course of a day (morning driver takes a bus out, no afternoon relief so the bus is run in and replaced by a RAD driver with their own bus, then the evening driver takes out their own bus when reporting to the garage while the RAD runs in).

How do you know which bus is out which garage from the TTC?

I work for the City Of Ottawa and have access thru our city internal network that I can access certain parts(not all) of OC internal web site which I can see which buses are packed there(only bus fleet #'s, not which routes our out of that garage), just wondering how you know which bus out which garage.

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

I work for the City Of Ottawa and have access thru our city internal network that I can access certain parts(not all) of OC internal web site which I can see which buses are packed there(only bus fleet #'s, not which routes our out of that garage), just wondering how you know which bus out which garage.

Buses and routes are assigned to different divisions depending on their capacity and area served. You can tell which bus is assigned to a specific division by the bus or route number though some get shuffled between garages from time to time or to cover streetcar shuttles. Service summary which gets published is the accurate document which publishes this info. You can always consult the wiki and check the fleet or route number to know what bus is assigned to what garage.

Subway lines have their own yard except Sheppard which uses Davisville shared with Wilson subway yard. Line 1 Yonge-University and Line 4 Sheppard use only Toronto Rocket trains which has open gangways so you can walk from end to end (5381 to 6196).

Line 2 Bloor-Danforth is T1 (5000 to 5371) based out of Greenwood. 

Line 3 Scarborough RT (3000 to 3027) is based out of McCowan for minor maintenance and cleaning. McCowan is part of Greenwood which if major work needs to be done on the cars.

Roncesvalles is a separate yard where as Russell Division covers Leslie Barns. Streetcars are pretty much shared on all routes from the three divisions usually so they can appear at any division. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Bus routes in Toronto are typically only operated by one division, and buses usually stay on the same route for the length of their shift; this makes it relatively easy to determine garage allocations. This differs from Ottawa, where buses tend to interline between routes frequently, meaning buses from any garage can appear anywhere in the City.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Go to the Planning section on ttc.ca:

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Transit_Planning/index.jsp

A ways down you will see the heading Service Summary and below it are the links to one or more of the latest service summaries. The service summaries will tell you all this information.

There are lists of routes and which divisions, both alphabetically and by route number.

image.thumb.png.617961bab7c152fdcb63505ff2543d64.png

There is a list of interlined routes:

image.thumb.png.dea3d93713f6925e1b6afa1512598058.png

And there is a list of buses by division:

image.thumb.png.56a00408eaf3aad304d846af13648864.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An ad for the TTC played at the beginning of a YouTube video today.  Having clicked "skip ad" way too fast, I went back and looked for the ad and found these three on their channel (the 60 sec version has the CEO, the chair, and the mayor):

On 4/12/2021 at 10:00 AM, PCC Guy said:

Does anyone happen to remember what happened to H6 car 5857 after its derailment at Kennedy station in February 2008? I was browsing through some old posts where someone mentioned that they would be surprised if the car ever saw service again based on the damage that happened to it, and I've found no subsequent reference to the car anywhere (no retirement date for it on the wiki, either) but I don't remember ever hearing about an H6 retiring prematurely. Can anyone weigh in?

In the interest of helping anyone in the future who will be browsing through this thread looking for information, I have in fact found a post that confirmed that this car did actually make it back into service after its accident. Turns out I should've tried searching for 5856 too... d'oh!

I wonder if the mystery would've been solved quicker if the H5/H6 retirement thread was still around, but ah well.

• Thanks 1

A friend and I ended up at Roncesvalles and Queen last week and needed to get to the subway so we started heading north with the idea of catching a northbound something...somewhere...we missed a Dundas car and ended up walking the entire trip to Dundas West Station.  I was kind of surprised by the fact that there was no shuttle service of some form on Roncesvalles.  If a bus would've been too cumbersome to deal with at the south end, was any thought given to using one or two streetcars to run a shuttle looping at Dundas West at the top and through the yard via the north gate at the bottom since the carhouse is still in service via the north gate and Roncesvalles Ave?

11 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

A friend and I ended up at Roncesvalles and Queen last week and needed to get to the subway so we started heading north with the idea of catching a northbound something...

There is the 504G bus, that's supposed to be running from Dundas West station down Roncesvalles to Marion, just north of Queen. Every 5.5 minutes mid-morning. Not sure what reality is, but this is what it looks like right now - https://totransit.ca/

image.thumb.png.a22c1bca4d48d8e1a9c16b26ba8c437e.png

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

There is the 504G bus, that's supposed to be running from Dundas West station down Roncesvalles to Marion, just north of Queen. Every 5.5 minutes mid-morning. Not sure what reality is, but this is what it looks like right now - https://totransit.ca/

image.thumb.png.a22c1bca4d48d8e1a9c16b26ba8c437e.png

This was Thursday evening last week.  I didn't see anything go up Roncesvalles except for a Dundas car that I was a couple blocks away from being able to catch and the only thing going down were Carlton run-ins heading to the yard so it was totally MIA in both directions on Thursday evening around 8:00 PM.

The 504G/Q service right now is not reliable as it was scheduled to be the 504C. Buses get alternated between the two branches and the schedules are a major problem, sometimes resulting in 3-4 buses at a terminus with buses missing on the other branch and along the rest of that branch

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do the current service changes on the 501 end tomorrow(October 11th)? TTC website says that today is the last day of the current service changes which is Streetcars divert via Parliament and King to Charlotte Loop and Buses west of Queen and Parliament to Long Branch and Humber Loops.

10 hours ago, John Oke said:

Do the current service changes on the 501 end tomorrow(October 11th)? TTC website says that today is the last day of the current service changes which is Streetcars divert via Parliament and King to Charlotte Loop and Buses west of Queen and Parliament to Long Branch and Humber Loops.

Where on the website?

There's a new notice effective today - http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Service_changes/Oct501.jsp

• 2 weeks later...

I went out to try to ride the automated bus shuttle out of Rouge Hill between 2:00 and 2:30 but the bus didn't show up. Is they still running the automated bus shuttle?

Also, any chance it would be out Sunday?

45 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

I went out to try to ride the automated bus shuttle out of Rouge Hill between 2:00 and 2:30 but the bus didn't show up. Is they still running the automated bus shuttle?

Also, any chance it would be out Sunday?

I haven't heard if they even started it yet but it is rush hour only. You won't catch one at 2pm according to the schedule https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/streets-parking-transportation/transportation-projects/automated-vehicles/automated-vehicles-pilot-projects/automated-shuttle-trial/