Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

For when Dundas street is renamed and the 505, Dundas Station and Dundas West Station are renamed. What would they rename them too? I could see Dundas West being renamed to Vincent as that was the original name planned for it in the early 60’s.

2 hours ago, John Oke said:

For when Dundas street is renamed and the 505, Dundas Station and Dundas West Station are renamed. What would they rename them too? I could see Dundas West being renamed to Vincent as that was the original name planned for it in the early 60’s.

First question would be would the street be one or several.

There's already a discontinuity at Kipling, where the two pieces of Dundas don't connect directly to each other any more. So why not use two different names.

And everything east of Roncesvalles was a bit of a kludge. Could always rename Dundas West from Roncesvalles to Dupont as Roncesvalles. And Dundas West from Dupont to Kipling as Dupont. Heck, everything from Roncesvalles to Kingston could be Dixon - or resurrect one of the many names that were lost when Dundas was created in the 1950s.

That would make the renaming of stations simple. I always wanted a Roncesvalles station.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

General question on the Metrolinx expansion pertaining to the TTC:

If the opposition wins on Sept 20th, does it mean they can possibly cancel the funding Trudeau promised to Ford and Tory about these TTC rapid transit expansion?

The billions of dollars from the feds that were announced in July of this year which were originally save from being cancelled since Trudeau's election was suppose to come in fall of 2023 but has now been moved 2 years earlier.

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

General question on the Metrolinx expansion pertaining to the TTC:

If the opposition wins on Sept 20th, does it mean they can possibly cancel the funding Trudeau promised to Ford and Tory about these TTC rapid transit expansion?

The billions of dollars from the feds that were announced in July of this year which were originally save from being cancelled since Trudeau's election was suppose to come in fall of 2023 but has now been moved 2 years earlier.

Yeah, its at risk I’d say, but the province wouldn’t like that very much.

The announcement of funds a month ago was likely a campaign promise prior to the announcement of the election, knowing that if they didn’t get re-elected, the money wouldn’t be allocated, hoping in the turn of the election, people would vote liberal, this is likely why prior to Sunday, there had been large announcements of money nearly every week for various things

Does anyone know why Transit App can no longer track the subway lines? A few months ago they had an alert saying that it was a temporary problem or something, but that notice is gone and there are still no live next train times. Transsee can still track, but is around 3-4 mins or so ahead of real life.

• Like 1

I notice more and more systems in the GTA after 2015 started ordering buses with Horizon MST,  SMT, Titan (seems to be a discrepancy on the cptdb wiki on the correct wording). Only Miway, YRT still have 2020 buses using original Horizon signs.

Will TTC going to use this with the next order of buses in 2022? What are the advantages of this VS the original Horizon model besides showing the LEDs in white colour? I always thought amber was the easiest colour to see than white.

2 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Will TTC going to use this with the next order of buses in 2022? What are the advantages of this VS the original Horizon model besides showing the LEDs in white colour? I always thought amber was the easiest colour to see than white.

Speaking of white, I saw a couple Novas recently in the east end, that had part of the sign in white. I thought it was some kind of malfunction but I didn't think these signs were capable of displaying white.

Yep, exactly that. Curious quirk, eh?

Now that I think about it... Is the display capable of displaying multiple colours, or is it white LED's with an amber filter in front, and a part of that filter has broken off on that particular bus?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MK78 said:

Yep, exactly that. Curious quirk, eh?

Now that I think about it... Is the display capable of displaying multiple colours, or is it white LED's with an amber filter in front, and a part of that filter has broken off on that particular bus?

This was previously addressed in another thread: 

• Like 1

So all Horizons can imitate a Titan (minus the higher resolution) by having a white LED sign panel without spending the (presumbly higher cost of the Titan sign). lol

What are MST and SMT Horizons? I got these terms from the cptdb on HSR, Brampton, Burlington, Oakville and DRT. From pictures, they all look white to me.

The one I know that is totally different is the Luminator Spectrum which is full colour LED that GO has on their newest E500 batches.

Do you know why some of the routes have very weird schedule??

http://ttc.ca/Schedule/schedule.jsp?Route=50E&Stop=e.b._on_Mill_Rd_at_Markland_Dr_(Silverthorne_C.I.)&Day=Monday_To_Friday

For example, 50 Burnhamthorpe, a route which I use often.. has very very weird schedule and headway allocation.

1. The headway during the daytime (9am to 3pm) is really weird, as the headway during the weekend daytime (every 15 minute on Saturday, and 17-18 minute on Sunday) is better than the weekdays (every 30 minute) 

2. I have no idea why the headway during the weekday evening (between 7-9pm) is better than afternoon rush-hours.. It is every 17 minute during the afternoon rush from 3pm to 7pm.. and it becomes every 15 minute from 7pm to 10pm.

I have no idea how the TTC is allowed to organize such a weird schedule like that? 

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

I have no idea how the TTC is allowed to organize such a weird schedule like that? 

Why wouldn't they be allowed? It's their route, who's going to tell them off for it?

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

2. I have no idea why the headway during the weekday evening (between 7-9pm) is better than afternoon rush-hours.. It is every 17 minute during the afternoon rush from 3pm to 7pm.. and it becomes every 15 minute from 7pm to 10pm.

If you look at the service summary, you will notice that they use the same number of buses during the afternoon rush hour as they do during the early evening. Usually the superior headway is because there's less traffic the longer the day drags on, so the same amount of vehicles can complete the round trip in a lesser amount of time.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:16 AM, bus_7246 said:

This is wracking my brain right now! There is a handful of pics on the inter web of the TTC New Flyer ‘TUF’ demonstrator (early version of the D40LF), but I can’t seem to find them. Does anyone know where I can find these hard to find gems?

I know this comment is old as hell but I found one in my camera roll. Not sure if posting this is against the rules so feel free to delete this if need be. But yeah I can't seem to find any either.

22075537616_5c8df12d5b_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Do you know why some of the routes have very weird schedule??

http://ttc.ca/Schedule/schedule.jsp?Route=50E&Stop=e.b._on_Mill_Rd_at_Markland_Dr_(Silverthorne_C.I.)&Day=Monday_To_Friday

For example, 50 Burnhamthorpe, a route which I use often.. has very very weird schedule and headway allocation.

1. The headway during the daytime (9am to 3pm) is really weird, as the headway during the weekend daytime (every 15 minute on Saturday, and 17-18 minute on Sunday) is better than the weekdays (every 30 minute) 

There are a number of things at play here that all combine to see what you are seeing.

- The loading standards are different - and higher - for peak periods than non-peak. This means that each, single vehicle is allowed to carry more people during rush hours before an additional vehicle is required.

- Run times are different during different periods. They are usually longest during peak periods, and especially the afternoon rush, when traffic is at its worst and vehicle loading is at its highest, and usually shortest during the evenings and nights when traffic is lightest and ridership is at its lowest point.

- Over the past 15 years, the trend is that off-peak ridership has increased at a greater rate than peak ridership, and weekend ridership has increased faster than weekday off-peak.

The 50 is not unique in this regard, not by any stretch of the imagination. If you scour the Service Summaries, you'll see all sorts of routes where these three things apply.

Dan

The bus entry and exit to Islington station is now off Islington, at the south end, roughly opposite Bay 6. The entrance on Bloor appears to be fenced off. There is new paint on the roadway in a "do not block" pattern that is sure to be ignored. There was a Toronto Police officer standing around, presumably on paid duty to help buses enter and leave the station.

Come on down and see those sweet, sweet CLRV-painted hand-me-downs go someplace they haven't gone before!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ed T. said:

The bus entry and exit to Islington station is now off Islington, at the south end, roughly opposite Bay 6. The entrance on Bloor appears to be fenced off. There is new paint on the roadway in a "do not block" pattern that is sure to be ignored. There was a Toronto Police officer standing around, presumably on paid duty to help buses enter and leave the station.

Come on down and see those sweet, sweet CLRV-painted hand-me-downs go someplace they haven't gone before!

Turns out I was wrong, as well as right. I had a better look this afternoon.

The opening on Islington is for bus entry only. The old gate is still open and used for exiting. The area south of the bus bays that had been used by Missy Transit is being repaved, hence buses have no way to get from the Bloor gate to the entrance of the bus bays.

I was also right, in that the pavement striping was ignored by all the SUVs who were also waiting for the light. Some of them may even have wondered "huh, why is the pavement all stripe-y??" but I think most were oblivious as usual.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:40 AM, Ed T. said:

Turns out I was wrong, as well as right. I had a better look this afternoon.

The opening on Islington is for bus entry only. The old gate is still open and used for exiting. The area south of the bus bays that had been used by Missy Transit is being repaved, hence buses have no way to get from the Bloor gate to the entrance of the bus bays.

I was also right, in that the pavement striping was ignored by all the SUVs who were also waiting for the light. Some of them may even have wondered "huh, why is the pavement all stripe-y??" but I think most were oblivious as usual.

As of yesterday (Saturday) it was repaved and back to normal.

How do TTC drivers sign up to serve on planned subway closures? I'm curious because there doesn't seem to be a planned schedule for them. Because of this, how are connections to the last daytime buses handled when subway service closes for the night and there is a closure?

3 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

How do TTC drivers sign up to serve on planned subway closures? I'm curious because there doesn't seem to be a planned schedule for them. Because of this, how are connections to the last daytime buses handled when subway service closes for the night and there is a closure?

Subway shuttle buses do not run on a schedule. Supervisors pick several buses to be last few buses to operate from either end. They have a specific departure time. Last bus leaves after passengers from last train are on the bus. If leaving from the end of the line like Finch station, last bus leaves when last southbound train would have left. They drive until all passengers are off the bus. 

As far as connecting with scheduled buses its no different then trying to catch the last train. If you miss it, you have to take the night bus. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

How do TTC drivers sign up to serve on planned subway closures? I'm curious because there doesn't seem to be a planned schedule for them.

The high amount of subway closures for maintenance over the past couple of years is one of the biggest reasons why TTC now has a sizeable amount of "Run As Directed" (RAD) buses built into their service requirements. This way, the subway shuttles can be crewed with drivers at "regular" hours. When there is no subway shuttle (or a shorter one), the RAD buses get dispatched to fill in on regular routes.

Prior to the existence of RAD buses, all subway closures were staffed with drivers on overtime. On busy shuttle weekends (like this weekend, with extra buses required for the 504), they continue to have overtime available that drivers can sign up for at their divisions.

• Thanks 1